autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Corvette ZR1 Vs The Boss System Review

Eldorado2k it won't let me quote what you asked me for some reason.

Any microfiber pad will pretty much leave micro marring and there own damage behind, unless the paint is super hard but 9 times out of 10. It's going to leave some kind of marring.

And not just the Boss MF any MF cutting pad you use with a compound will leave some haze, and compound swirls.

I used about 5-6 boss MF cutting pads.
    You can usually get away with less cutting pads with microfiber cause you can clean them on the fly better, and blow them out.

I used about 6 polishing pads.

I used 4 oz of griots soap in a foam cannon, and put 1 Oz megs apc cleaner in there because the car was so bad.

You can put some apc in your wash bucket too. I didn't do that tho!

Remember you only use all purpose cleaner or dish soap when your going to do a full correction never use that on properly sealed and maintained cars! Witch I'm sure you know, just in case anybody else reads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Any microfiber pad will pretty much leave micro marring and there own damage behind, unless the paint is super hard but 9 times out of 10. It's going to leave some kind of marring.

And not just the Boss MF any MF cutting pad you use with a compound will leave some haze, and compound swirls.

Hmm.. I've gone through a couple bottles of D300 which has always been my go to with Megs Microfiber pads [on my 8mm DA] and I've yet to come across a situation where it left compound swirls or even considerable haze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Thx for the reply.

Hmm.. I've gone through a couple bottles of D300 which has always been my go to with Megs Microfiber pads [on my 8mm DA] and I've yet to come across a situation where it left compound swirls or even considerable haze.
    I can't see how it didn't leave any haze, or marring, or micro swirls. Unless the paint was rock hard.

Ammonyc uses d300 alot in his videos, and in everyone it shows the micro marring haze I'm talking about.

I just made a video with car pro essence and a Meguiar's microfiber finishing disc not cutting and it left micro marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Ammonyc uses d300 alot in his videos, and in everyone it shows the micro marring haze I'm talking about.

I'll have to take a closer look at his vids. [I've seen some but not all his vids]

I usually follow up D300 with M205 and a foam polishing/finishing pad [I can't think of a time where I didn't] but the difference, while noticeable to me, has never been like "whoa the polish saved me"
    Marring from clay, well that's another story...

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a yellow ZR1 with my Griots 21 but megs microfiber cutting pads.. I'll have to try the Griots pads. I love using air to blow out these pads, makes it so much easier to control residue
    Nice Job!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it's just certain polishes/pads with the marring-hazing issues?

I just used CarPro Reflect with Buff & Shine finishing MF's 6" pads on my a flex with no marring or hazing issues. I was worried and ready with a foam pad if needed; but wasn't needed.

Post Thanks / Like

But then again, haze is usually so minor that it sounds alot worse than it actually is.. Even though it does look alot better after it's polished out.

I think the term compound swirls/micro marring + haze made it sound like a bigger deal than it probably was.
    Because looking at your pictures in this thread it doesn't look too major, and looks to have benefited from the polishing step the way it should've.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'll have to take a closer look at his vids. [I've seen some but not all his vids]

I usually follow up D300 with M205 and a foam polishing/finishing pad [I can't think of a time where I didn't] but the difference, while noticeable to me, has never been like "whoa the polish saved me"
    Marring from clay, well that's another story...
    Everytime I use polish after compound I see a major transformation in clarity and darkness especially on darker colors.

On light colors you don't see much of a difference.

But , back to the marring, maybe you was working on lighter color cars.

On a dark color cars you will always see some micro marring from the microfiber fibers.

I haven't used d300 in forever, I used it when I first started detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Everytime I use polish after compound I see a major transformation in clarity and darkness especially on darker colors.

On light colors you don't see much of a difference.

But , back to the marring, maybe you was working on lighter color cars.

On a dark color cars you will always see some micro marring from the microfiber fibers.

I haven't used d300 in forever, I used it when I first started detailing.

I agree with what you.^

Except for the part about not being able to see marring on white paint, there's a bit of marring on the rear tailgate hatchback of the Kia here at home that I can clearly see after having clayed it. Nobody else can see it, but I can. Lol.

Just so we both understand marring as the same thing, I define marring as what looks like faint little cheetah looking spots on the paint. And haze is just foggy, not totally deep full color on the paint. I'm pretty sure you define it the same way, right?
    Or is your definition of marring after compound different from what clay marring looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

...You're making me want to go outside and do a test spot with microfiber pads & compound on my hood. Lol.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast