autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari Serie Speciale in Rosso Corsa

1993 Ferrari Serie Speciale 348 TS, Rosso Corsa, #52 out of 100 built

I had the privilege to work on this very speciale Ferrari the past few days. This is a 1993 Ferrari Serie Speciale 348 TS, Rosso Corsa, and is number 52 out of only 100 built. It is powered by a 3.4 liter V8 which made 312 hp. The transmission is a gated shifter actuated 5 speed manual. (very cool). This vehicle has the very rare and sought after F40 style sport seats in Connolly leather and carbon fiber seats tubs/frames/backs.

There is a HUGE car event coming up next month and the owner is going to show the car and wanted it ‘cleaned up a bit’. The doctor at Autodermatology was happy to oblige.

This Ferrari came into the surgery center for a paint correction, wheels off fender well/wheel/brake caliper detail and ceramic coating, exterior paint, trim and glass ceramic coating.

When the vehicle arrived I did an ONR wash. ONR was also used as lubrication during the claying process. A nano-skin wash mitt was used for claying.

About a mile of CarPro ¼” red tape was used when masking off all of the trim, raised body lines as well as any ‘thin’ areas of paint that I found. Adam’s orange tape was also used in the wider areas.

Paint gauge readings were from a low of 2.0 mils to a high of 8.0 mils.

I found out during the initial inspection of the vehicle that it was single stage paint.

The operating room was prepped and I got this Italian Stallion under the lights and ready for some dermabrasion!

Before pics/defects:

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

An area was taped off for the test spot. Rupes Duetto and a green Rupes pad along with HD polish was chosen to see what kind of results could be garnered. It was working pretty well, but not what I was looking for. I then switched to Megs M205 with the same machine and pad combo. BINGO! Just what the doctor ordered! I did, however, switch out machines to the Flex 3401. I felt like it was doing more work…since it is a work horse of a machine!

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

The compound stage of paint correction was accomplished with the Flex 3401, green Rupes pad and M205, along with the Rupes 75 and Flex PE8.

Final polishing was done with the Griot’s 6”, Rupes 75, Flex PE8 and CarPro gloss pads along with CarPro Essence.

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

(I burnt through a sh!t load of pads with the single stage paint…loaded them up pretty quickly and had to swap them out once or twice per panel)

[/URL]

The CarPro Essence really, really amped up the gloss on this paint! I could’ve left it alone after that and used it as an LSP, that’s how happy I was with the results.

The engine cover is one piece and louvers from top to bottom side to side. What a PIA. It was also filthy and had a lot of accumulated dirt, road grime as well as ‘the other guy’s wax’ in the slats. I attempted to clean them by hand and was getting nowhere quick. I broke out the steamer. I covered the engine with two of Autogeek’s Detailing cover up towels. Steam made short work of the gunk that was in those louvers. Wiped it all down and I was pleased with the results.

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari Serie Speciale in Rosso Corsa

The door jambs were pretty dirty as well. They received a good cleaning and are now up to par for the caliber of vehicle they belong to!

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

Next up, ceramic coating! Pretty much every inch of the exterior was coated with BEEDS premium ceramic paint treatment. Glass, paint, door jams, targa roof and trim.

The wheels/wells, calipers were the next thing to tackle. The vehicle was jacked up and jack stands were utilized for safety. The wheels were pulled.
    The wheel wells were scrubbed with 1Z APC and a stiff brush. Washed down with Sonax shampoo and rinsed. The calipers were cleaned with 1Z APC and then washed with Sonax shampoo and rinsed.
    Fender wells were treated with Adam’s undercarriage spray.
    The brake calipers were coated with CarPro Dlux.

[/URL]
    [/URL]

The wheels were liberally sprayed with Adam’s wheel cleaner. Miscellaneous boar’s hair brushes and Daytona Speedmaster brushes were used. The wheels were then washed with Sonax shampoo. Tarminator was used on the built up tar as well as any adhesive residue from old wheel weights. The wheels were washed again and then clayed with a medium Nanoskin sponge.

The tires were shot with TufShine tire cleaner and their brush was used to scrub the tires clean.

The wheels/tires were Metro Master Blasted dry. The wheels were then treated to an IPA wipe down prior to coating. The wheels were coated with CarPro Dlux.

These original Speedline wheels came out like new!!! Excellent!

The wheels were then re-installed and torqued to the proper torque spec. (75 ft lbs)

The tires were dressed with CarPro PERL. 100% straight up.

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

The exhaust was cleaned with Pinnacle exhaust cleaner and brightener.

Glass was cleaned with Adam's glass cleaner and a dedicated glass micro fiber towel.

The interior was vacuumed via Metro vacuum and attachments.

The interior leather was given a quick wipe down only.

The carbon fiber seat backs were given a wipe down, light polish with M205 via hand and then treated to Wolfgang Fuzion.

They came out great and feel super slick! This work really brought out the carbon fiber weave! Brightened them up a bit too!

[/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

I’ve got about 22 hours into this detail and am happy with the results I achieved on a 23 year old speciale vehicle.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the pics!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Final pics!

I am going to get some sun shots tomorrow since the sun is supposed to make an appearance for a change!

LOL

Thanks for looking!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job with the engine hatch area utilizing the steamer.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

had a 348tb, those cheese graters on the sides were always a major pain to wash wax and keep clean!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, great work. You were very wise to put the towels over the engine like that. I see you use a McCulloch 1385 steamer. I really like mine. How do you like it? Were you nervous at all working on that single stage paint?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    Great job with the engine hatch area utilizing the steamer.
    Thank you! I tried it by hand and was getting nowhere fast...had to break it out!

Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post
    had a 348tb, those cheese graters on the sides were always a major pain to wash wax and keep clean!
    They definitely are. A lot of hand polishing going on! lol

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Nice write up, great work. You were very wise to put the towels over the engine like that. I see you use a McCulloch 1385 steamer. I really like mine. How do you like it? Were you nervous at all working on that single stage paint?

Thanks for the comments! I like the steamer. It is a little 'wet' at times, however, it will get the job done.

No, not nervous at all, I have some experience with single stage paint.

Thanks again everyone!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Attention to every detail second to none. I wish you were in Jacksonville. My buddy needs a strong detail on a 09 Lambo.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work my friend!

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Scott...they make auto transports! Have him send it down! LOL
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast