autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More headlight restorations

Good work! Curious, what do you use for a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    Good work! Curious, what do you use for a coating?
    Opti-Lens
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    Thank you. This is just a part time thing for me. I'd say 2-5 per week.
    Gotcha.

Hey g35, since you're the headlights restoration master, I have to ask.

Have you tried the Infinity 4.1 coating? I talked with a sales person of that product and it says that thing lasts years of protections and a $85 kit will last you around 40 sets of headlights. Not sure if anything of that is that true but maybe you have hear something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    Gotcha.

Have you tried the Infinity 4.1 coating? I talked with a sales person of that product and it says that thing lasts years of protections and a $85 kit will last you around 40 sets of headlights. Not sure if anything of that is that true but maybe you have hear something.
    LOL--I'm by no means a HLR MASTER! I did look into delta kits a couple of years ago but their best coating then had about a year durability. I really don't remember if it was the 4.1 kit or not.

I like OL since it's ready to go and my applicators don't contain or create any fuzz/lint like the Scotts paper towels can sometimes do. Also, OL is ready to go. No mixing or wasting/disposing of any excess product or mixing cups. You only dispense what's necessary. As far as durability, I'd be interested to see if there's a silver lining for the extra time and materials the 4.1 kit requires.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    Gotcha.

I currently use infinity 4.1. Don't know about years of durability, however, I've seen some of my customers cars surpassing the 2 year mark. I will say though that they have started to oxidize a bit, but nothing compared to not having protection. Just a very slight haze.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, amazing work, good job... I see you do the taillights sometimes with compound or TSR, after you do this do you apply the coating after buffing? If so do you double the price to do all four?

Do you tape off the headlights when you are doing the restoration? If so how much do you protect and with what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuffinBuff View Post
    Wow, amazing work, good job... I see you do the taillights sometimes with compound or TSR, after you do this do you apply the coating after buffing? If so do you double the price to do all four?

Do you tape off the headlights when you are doing the restoration? If so how much do you protect and with what?
    Taillights typically just need a compound/polish. They typically develop scratches or scuffs so most of the oem coating is still there. Regarding taping, yes, it is absolutely necessary with at least one to two inches around the light.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few more recent jobs. The Corvette takes the cake on difficulty level. The (or a) previous owner tried refinishing them himself. Realized they couldn't get through the OEM coating so they left behind failed coating and scratches. Then they applied a heavy coat of clear with runs and orange peel to make just about anyone cringe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quality stuff as always . Still using opti-lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one I did the other day while polishing out a faded and chalky 2006 Honda with Single Stage White paint. The paint resembeled the headlight's before shot.

Sorry I didn't quite line up the before and after shot so I had to align manually when making the animated .gif.

Here's an animation before and after polishing

Here's the light after it was sealed and the vehicle polished.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast