autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow 2006 Black Chevy Silverado SS

2006 Chevy Silverado SS

This truck had a good amount of defects. Deeply set water stains, scratches, fading, overspray, swirls and so on…

The hood (seen above) was a particular challenge. I started trying a brand new LC Orange Flat pad and HDCUT. After 3 passes with moderate pressure I checked the results. There was some improvement. Some. I ended up doing another 4 slow passes with heavy pressure allowing the pad to still rotate. Results? Better…but far from great. Next up, Meguiars MF Cutting disc and HDCUT. Still only so-so results. Tried a new MF Disc with WG Uber Compound. Meh…very similar results as HDCUT. LUCKILY, I just got in some XTRA CUT MF Discs. Gave it a whirl with the XTRA Cut Discs. After 3-4 passes with heavy to moderate pressure, the new section I started looked pretty good. However, the MF Disc didn’t finish as well as a foam pad.

I decided to do a 2nd step on the hood. I tried both HD POLISH and WG Finishing Glaze with LC White CSS pads and LC Tangerine Hydro-Tech pads. After evaluating both, I decided to go with the Glaze as I liked the consistency and way it spread better than HD POLISH.

I was concerned the vertical panels may need a 2nd step as well. I’m glad that wasn’t the case! The LC Orange flat pad did a great job after just 2-3 passes with HD CUT.

Though the paint had lots of orange peel and a few defects lingered, the paint gloss and clarity was stepped up significantly.

The headlights required sanding. They had been sanded before. I used 600 then 1000 then the Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads on my drill with DP All In One Headlight Polish. I sealed them with 2 coats of Opti-Lens.

I intended to use WGDGPS 3.0 but the on and off rain made that impossible. I went with Collinite 845 as a LSP.

I polished the chrome wheels with an orange pad and by hand with Blue magic metal polish.

Wash – Meguiars Hyperwash / Chemical Guys Chenille Microfiber Premium Wash Mitt / Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave / Werner Pro Deck Aluminum Work Platform /
    Wheels / Tires / Wheel Wells – 3D Professional APC / Speedmaster brushes / Tuf Shine Brush / Blue Magic Polish / Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel / Collinite 845
    Paint – Porter Cable 7424XP / Meg’s XTRA CUT Disc, LC Orange Flat, LC Tangerine HydroTech & LC CSS Red / Nanoskin Medium Mitt / Collinite 845, D156, 303 Speed Detailer
    Trim – PEARL
    Glass – ISP with Waffle Weave Glass Towel
    Leather Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner / Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner
    Headlights DP All In One Headlight Restoring Polish / 3 1/4 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pad / Lake Country 3 Inch Drill Backing Plate /Makita XPH012 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Hammer Driver-Drill / Opti-Lens Coating
    Interior - McCulloch MC1385 Steamer/ 3D APC / RIDGID WD1270 / Folex / Chemical Guys Fabric Clean / PC 7424XP w/ Acqua Brush / PEARL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2006 Black Chevy Silverado SS

Post Thanks / Like

Ill bet your arms/shoulders are sore after that! NICE save.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Dean!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding job buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job! I know what it is like to keep up the black paint on my DD. Hope he appreciates your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job looks new again.