autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 BMW 550i Black Sapphire Metallic

Wow, great work

That overhead hood shot looks stunning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantastic! Love the 50/50 shots both outside and inside. Glad someone else is loving the TB black wool pads too!! I also see you're a Nikon man like me. Right on. Again, great work on the 5 series!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! I have a question, do you polish up the interior trim pieces? They scratch up pretty easily and when the sun hits them it looks terrible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E92M3_Mark View Post
    Nice job, looks great!

Who's Porsche is that?
    That would be mine!

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Looks fantastic! Love the 50/50 shots both outside and inside. Glad someone else is loving the TB black wool pads too!! I also see you're a Nikon man like me. Right on. Again, great work on the 5 series!!
    Richy: I got them after reading some great reviews/seeing the work you do with them. They are excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by asianisafish View Post
    Looks great! I have a question, do you polish up the interior trim pieces? They scratch up pretty easily and when the sun hits them it looks terrible
    Yes, I do. These were in very good shape so I did not need to. I will usually do them by hand or with my small rotary.

And...Thanks to everyone who posted and commented! I really do appreciated it!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Magnificent work on that Schwarz BMW Scott! That paint screams with enthusiasm now! Nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard work but very rewarding results, I think you think it was worth it. Customer must be in 7 heaven.
    Also I see paint thickness ranges from 112 microns to 168 microns which is regarded very good paint condition.
    Once I detailed my friends (owner of Brabus Israel) BMW M5 2007 there reading was on the hood 40 microns!
    Compared to his, this Bimmer is new
    BMW M5 nano detailing by Sharkpolitur

I don't use any paint thickness instruments (that was his) as I see & feel the paint only by looking at it, touching it.
    He asked me then to machine polish the hood, I said the paint there is dead so no way, he took this magic measurement instrument and said Oh S...

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Are you saying you can tell how thick paint is by looking at it and touching it? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

That is beautiful work, Scott! I'm always stunned to see what my color (Black Sapphire Metallic) SHOULD look like. And i applaud you immensely for, like mentioned earlier, this ungodly blazing heat!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    ^^ Are you saying you can tell how thick paint is by looking at it and touching it? How?
    How can I answer your question?
    Understanding Modern Automotive Paintwork | Innovative Automotive Care | Clean Technology
    If new paint is 110-140 microns so the older the car, the more scratches it got around the thicker is the paint there. I don't know exact number of course but I see overall condition it's enough to know how to organize detailing or simply reject the customer because why to BS people if doesn't matter what will be done, car will look ####.
    Most cars even in very bad condition can be restored but not all, I have seen how people use wet sanding on scratch resistant paint & nano paint & then wonder why car looks not only very ugly but finish becomes matte.
    By touching it I mean when I use clay bar or apply polish or wax by hand or machine I see how paint reacts, reflects & from there I understand the clear coat condition & apply only products that will change the look for the better.
    Sometimes people polish intensively already very damaged clear coat so such car will never look good as they remove clear completely, paint will never shine nice & there is no protection is left so weather will kill such metallic paint much faster if they would simply polish & wax it by hand.
    Brabus Israel Bavarian Motors Club use paint thickness gauge because they also trade in luxury used cars so they like to estimate the overall condition, not only mechanics but also visual & it makes sense but detailers who use it what they expect from it?
    If they can't understand how to polish the car without this funny instrument, detailing is not their field.
    In my end opinion this magic plastic gadget is best when used by car dealers & automotive refinish industry, car care professionals better learn to use their brain & eyes.

And the best car paint is of course made by BASF!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4pd...ature=youtu.be

P.S. The other thing I can see only by touching & looking at car's paint is to know if it's original factory paint or repainted, sometimes on AG forum I see it even from the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a magnificent turnaround! The pics really how the process as well as the before and after that us detailers always look forward to seeing. I hope your customer was more than happy with the end result!

Extra kudos for detailing in that miserable Florida summer heat! I am perspiring just looking at the photos.

GREAT JOB SCOTT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast