autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Peeling the orange, black Chrysler 300

Well, this is my personal car and I FINALLY got around to getting a coating on it. Before I did the coating, I wanted to get the paint to as close to perfect as I could. Its a 2012 in I believe Gloss black, so no metallic, just straight black. I've put about 40k on it, mostly highway so the front end has its share of rash. With the aerodynamics of a brick, it takes a beating. I actually started this project about 4 weeks ago but I had to stop since I was scheduled for back surgery. The last day I had to work on it, the backing plate bolt on my Flex broke mid polishing on a Sunday afternoon. That let me waiting for finish polishing and then applying my coating choice. You will notice in the photos the tires aren't done, on a time crunch to get the paint work done, I left the wheels and tires alone. They were previously coated with Black Pearl and CQuartz UK so a good wash and scrub of the tires will fix that. So, onto the work:
    After a wash and Ameririd iron treatment I did a medium grade speedy prep towel treatment and moved onto the orange peel work. I tried a few different combinations and finally ended up with M105 and my DeWalt which, yes, dusted like mad but I staretd with my Flex and denim pads using FG400 and Carpro fixer. I wasn't worried about hazing or marring, I knew i was going to have to follow up and polish with something else. Some spots required a follow up with FG400 on an orange hybrid pad, but for the most part 2500 on white hybrid was followed up by 4000 on a black hybrid. After the paint was polished a full wipe with Prepall to remove all the polishing oils left behind was done. This included the trim and wiper cowl. The coating I went with was Kamikaze Miyabi base coat, followed by ISM. First time using either and I found them VERY easy to apply and remove. Miyabi went on super smooth and I let it sit for about 5-8 minutes before removing. This was in 80+ degree heat with over 70% humidity! The ISM was a little thicker, I think i was not shipped a bottle with an applicator tip, it was just a bottel with a screw on top. Both products left my applicators stiff as a board once they dried. And I used about 15 of them between both coatings. So, on to the pcitures. I paid the most attention to the hood, roof and trunk with the orange peel removal. I was happy with the turn out!
    Before work:

During work, here you can see the orange peel since the compound has only been touching the peaks. As it works the valleys down, you can see the paint flattened:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peeling and orange, black Chrysler 300

Here you can see some scratches left in the paint:

After the old FG400:

After pictures:

Kamikazi being applied:

Outside shots:

I spent about 30 hours spread across a few weeks getting this done, after work and the weekends. Once my doctor cleared me to resume some activities I finished it up!
    I did have to use the Miyabi bottle twice, and the coating had dried, here is a shot of the crystals I had to wipe off:

Thanks for looking!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peeling the orange, black Chrysler 300

Outstanding!

"but I staretd with my Flex and denim pads using FG400 and Carpro fixer"

So, you switched to the rotary because the Flex wasn't cutting it, or the backplate issue?

Post Thanks / Like

It was working, in fact I did the roof and trunk with the Flex and FG, but it was taking forever. My plan was to have it done before surgery but time was running out so I switched over to the rotary. The M105 did cut a TON better and I did not notice the haze I got from the FG. I managed to get the OP removed and half the car polished before the bolt broke on me. I since have bought several replacements!

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work and beautiful reflections John! Well done. That came out really well.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.