autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My New Car - 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    6. I haven't beaten on the car, but I have taken it up to redline maybe 4-5 times. I'm already up to 925 miles in a week and a half. I understand that it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I flogged my Si from the day I bought it brand new to the day I sold it, and it never burned excess oil. I've heard that proper "break in" isn't as much of a concern as it was twenty years ago.

Yeah, with computer precision manufactured engines these days, its not so much of an issue. Just do not change the oil prematurely. There is truth to manufacturers using special oil that helps engines break in properly.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Congrats Nick! That Subaru is slick. However one picture does not do this thread justice. We need more.

I have my eyes on the lookout for the new "coatings".
    As soon as it cools down just a tad I'll take it out for a photo session one Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Nice looking car Nick. I did one pretty much identical to it earlier this year only it was a 2015. Color looks killer with a coating on it.

Awesome photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Yeah, with computer precision manufactured engines these days, its not so much of an issue. Just do not change the oil prematurely. There is truth to manufacturers using special oil that helps engines break in properly.

I'll be changing the oil prematurely, and now that I know the paint is so soft I'll be doing all the maintenance myself too. This is the type of vehicle that I'd rather be driving on my day off instead of polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as it cools down just a tad I'll take it out for a photo session one Sunday afternoon.

Awesome photos!

I'll be changing the oil prematurely, and now that I know the paint is so soft I'll be doing all the maintenance myself too. This is the type of vehicle that I'd rather be driving on my day off instead of polishing.
    NO! Dont change the oil before the first oil change is due! Let that oil go through its life cycle before you change it. WHatever Subaru or the car recommends, go through that period. After the first oil change, then you can change the oil as frequently as you want. I typically change the oil in my Accord every 5k miles and I only use full synthetic. I did the same in my RSX and that engine never leaked or burned a spec of oil!

Post Thanks / Like

Im happy for you that you are happy. I personally will never have a car payment again. Im sure that thing will be well taken care of.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

We'll see if you ever get around to using any carpro pads to remove the Orange peel!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

5. You can actually get a CVT in the new WRX. About half of them on the lot were autos. I refuse to buy an automatic - long live the manual transmission!

6. I haven't beaten on the car, but I have taken it up to redline maybe 4-5 times. I'm already up to 925 miles in a week and a half. I understand that it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I flogged my Si from the day I bought it brand new to the day I sold it, and it never burned excess oil. I've heard that proper "break in" isn't as much of a concern as it was twenty years ago.
    As a subie owner since new, I am a firm believer in "hard" break ins. You don't have to rev the snot out of it for the first 1K, but the first 50 miles are crucial. I go slowly to moderately bringing the motor to redline once the motor and tranny fluids are properly warm, then letting it drop back down in vacuum/engine braking repeatedly on flat and hilly roads is best for the longevity of compression in those first few miles. After that, you can baby it for the first 1K.

I'm also a big believer in letting oil temps warming all the way before beating on it, but also not letting the car idle too much. Cold oil + low oil pressure (which is idle-ing conditions) has the potential to do more harm than good.

Lots of EJ stories out there of people keeping their motors topped with good oils but still grenading under normal driving conditions. Leaning out during WOT is 1 thing. Gradual internal degrdation due to cold start ups is another.

For what it's worth, I'm @ 130K on my EJ20 3% leakdown. I think the numbers were in the 140's.

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Nice looking car Nick. I did one pretty much identical to it earlier this year only it was a 2015. Color looks killer with a coating on it.

Second shot is insane!

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy decision for sure. Congrats
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

nick, how's she holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

Birthday Dyno results!!!?

I'm over 250,000 on our 02' WRX, basically stock.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    nick, how's she holding up?
    Wow it's almost been a year! So far so good *knock on wood.* I honestly couldn't be happier with this car. It's never failed to put a smile on my face every single time I drive it.

I'll have to post some photos as I've done A LOT of mechanical AND exterior mods since purchasing it nearly 1 year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Birthday Dyno results!!!?

I'm over 250,000 on our 02' WRX, basically stock.
    I doubt mine will make it that long as it's far from stock, but I can hope (or just re-build it and make it FASTER when it does blow up! ).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast