autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My New DD 2016 Audi S4!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
    Beast of a car.
    Thanks man.

Supercharger belt, under-drive pulley, and handheld switcher show up tonight. I'm also picking up my bumpers from the body shop this evening. More pictures tonight/tomorrow.

Stay Tuned!!!

-

Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpers are done. Should be going back on the car tonight.... hopefully

More pictures coming tonight/tomorrow of the pulley upgrade!

-DL

Post Thanks / Like

Any plans to do a dual pulley setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie335i View Post
    Any plans to do a dual pulley setup?
    Keep watching... spent some time wrenching tonight. Dual pulley? Not yet. But maybe soon?

-Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

Install started tonight. Freshly painted rear bumper cover due to a small, barely noticeable battle scar received during a Hawkeye football tailgate in the snow late last year (I shoulda brought my truck). Fresh Deval CF splitter from Mops@SupremePowerParts as well (thanks buddy!).

Installed. I can't stress how important it is to take your time installing this thing. Even the stock valance is a pain in the ass to remove because the tabs are so stubborn. However, this CF piece is even more difficult to put back in because IT DOES NOT FLEX. The last tabs of of each side MUST GO IN FIRST, NO EXCEPTIONS. Work slowly, remembering that the bumper will flex more than the CF valence, continue to take your time, and eventually, you'll get it.

Looks Awesome.

Looks real sharp. Something about the sun today and the way the fresh spring grass really brought out the pearl in the Daytona Grey. Maybe I just don't remember how gorgeous this color is under warm sun?

Perspective picture in my parents garage (where all of my tools still are even after returning from Germany). Still have the winter wheels on too. Deciding whether or not to change that tomorrow. Coin flip it overnight and see what mood I wake up in tomorrow.

STAY TUNED!!!

-Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

AWE underdrive Pulley, AWE pulley-puller tool, OEM undersized belt (I assume it's undersized), GIAC handheld program-switcher, GIAC software code, a bunch of blow-pops, and my new BD toaster oven (required for the install) showed up! Big thanks to Todd @ AWE and Sean Doyle at TAG Motorsports. Great guys!

Can't believe AWE actually patterned the blow-pop into the foam. These guys are hilarious, and EVERYTHING (including the packaging) is TOP NOTCH!!!

As many of you know, our TVS1320 blowers utilize an interference/press fit for the pulley. Here's a picture "bakin" the AWE pulley in my new toaster oven (yes, I did buy it just for this). AWE recommends 375 F at 1 hour for the correct thermal expansion to take place. At 400 F, the coating (I'm guessing powder or E-coat) can be compromised. Again, take your time, enjoy the labor of love, wait for the pulley to heat correctly and thoroughly, and generally accept that your car is gonna have more power real soon...

The B8.5 doesn't have long bolts installed underneath the core support (at least I didn't care to look more than a few minutes for them). Regardless, AWE is kind enough to include long bolts in the kit so that you can remove the 16mm core support to frame-rail bolts, re-install the new AWE-supplied long bolts, and slide out the core support. THANK YOU (I was looking in my bolt bucket for long bolts before I realized AWE included them)!

B8.5s (and maybe the B8) use a new style of washer line connector. As it turns out, once disconnecting the headlight washers, the system can self-contain/close-loop the res. without draining all of the contents on the floor, all without using a CAP!!! This is awesome. After pulling core supports on Audis for the last 13 years, I can finally say that on this trip, I only lost about .2L of washer fluid on the floor this time while I "figured it out." Awesome....

A picture of the stock supercharger belt routing (could come in handy for a few)

Core-support pulled away from the frame

Cap removed from the stock charger pulley and stock belt removed

AWE puller-tool on the stock pulley. Make sure you use AMPLE amounts of anti-sieze on the jam-bolt. JAM_ON!

Stocker pulley removed!!!

Here's a quick shot of what the stock TVS1320 input shaft looks like, naked (oh my!) without any pulley.

AWE pulley installed (and capped) comparo photo with the stocker

I actually installed the pulley twice thinking it wasn't "bottomed out." However, this appears to be normal. Again, AWE pulley installed (and capped) comparo photo with the stocker being held in my hand.

New belt installed (make sure you get the routing correct, not real difficult).

How I left it for the night. I'll re-install the front bumper tomorrow, maybe install the summer wheels/tires, and possibly clay down, then final polish, and then wax/seal the car. Supposedly, there's a car show in the area on Saturday. With 41 F and rain/wintery "mix" in the forecast, I may just leave this thing sitting in the garage the next few days and drive my truck...

Test start, warm up, and a few revs! I'll Vag-Com out the bulb out errors tomorrow. ECS Luft-Tecnik cover is still off of the airbox (audible goodness, and I might actually leave it this way). Listen to that blower sing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZgw3hRJdc

Will probably talk to Lichty about possibly doing the GIAC V2 STGII reflash sometime early next week.

STAY TUNED!!!

-Dan Lensch

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, soon 10,000 visitors to your S4 super thread so I decided to visit
    I don't know how much money you have invested in modifications but looking here for something that sounds like HP, horsepower, PS I didn't see.
    Does it mean that all of this stuff didn't push your Audi north of 333HP ?
    Or your priority is to make car look more carbon, change some engine belts & this is what you call tuning in USA
    In the end it's your car & you'll live with it, but for me tuning is not only about exterior, tuning it's when all performance changes as well.
    This is what I call a real Audi tuning:

You can get 435HP from ABT-Sportline in an instant

Equipment

MTM are known for Audi tuning Audi Tuning by MTM - Performance upgrade, Exhaust systems, Rims, Brakes, Equipment

Others for Audi & much more

SKN Tuning ChipTuning EcoTuning Turbo Kompressor MILLTEK Auspuff Fahrwerk Bremse CHIP & ECO

Oettinger Sportsystems GmbH - Products

KOCH Fahrzeugtechnik | Produkte

Willkommen bei B&B Automobiltechnik - Tuning made in Germany

O.CT Tuning - Shop / Products

Audi Tuning, Spoiler, Spoilerstoßstange, Bodykits, Seitemschweller, Dachflügel, by hipo autotechnik GmbH

PRIOR-DESIGN | Exclusive Aerodynamics & Tuning

? Audi Tuning für R8, RS und S Modelle

I hope people who are interested in serious performance etc. modifications will find above links useful.

P.S. Your Audi S4 looks very beautiful, you have invested a lot of resources (time, nerves, money) into it so now it's high time to start driving it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Politur View Post
    Congratulations, soon 10,000 visitors to your S4 super thread so I decided to visit
    I don't know how much money you have invested in modifications but looking here for something that sounds like HP, horsepower, PS I didn't see.
    Does it mean that all of this stuff didn't push your Audi north of 333HP ?
    Or your priority is to make car look more carbon, change some engine belts & this is what you call tuning in USA
    In the end it's your car & you'll live with it, but for me tuning is not only about exterior, tuning it's when all performance changes as well.
    This is what I call a real Audi tuning:

You can get 435HP from ABT-Sportline in an instant

Equipment

MTM are known for Audi tuning Audi Tuning by MTM - Performance upgrade, Exhaust systems, Rims, Brakes, Equipment

Others for Audi & much more

SKN Tuning ChipTuning EcoTuning Turbo Kompressor MILLTEK Auspuff Fahrwerk Bremse CHIP & ECO

Oettinger Sportsystems GmbH - Products

KOCH Fahrzeugtechnik | Produkte

Willkommen bei B&B Automobiltechnik - Tuning made in Germany

O.CT Tuning - Shop / Products

Audi Tuning, Spoiler, Spoilerstoßstange, Bodykits, Seitemschweller, Dachflügel, by hipo autotechnik GmbH

PRIOR-DESIGN | Exclusive Aerodynamics & Tuning

? Audi Tuning für R8, RS und S Modelle

I hope people who are interested in serious performance etc. modifications will find above links useful.

P.S. Your Audi S4 looks very beautiful, you have invested a lot of resources (time, nerves, money) into it so now it's high time to start driving it

He's going with GAIC software which is one of the main brands out there.

Our cars when properly tuned with GAIC or APR, etc. typically rate between 440-470crank hp. He'll be at the higher end given the pulley he selected (few tenths smaller) than others. Mine came in at 395awhp/365awtq on a dynojet on a fairly warm and humid day in August which is consistent with the above noted crank numbers. That's good for high 11's low 12's at 115-117mph with ease on pump gas. Not bad for a 4,000lb luxury sedan that in reality pushed 4,200lbs with driver. Really depends on track conditions for me as the DSG is snap to launch....literally.

Our cars Fuel System and tunes also support upwards of a 30% E85 blend without leaning out too so we're see far more mid to high 11's now too. I'm currently running that and can feel the gains, especially during warmer weather where I no longer see timing being pulled. I also have the DSG Tune so it's more consistent on the lower end of those numbers and has a lightening fast shift response, even faster than stock.

I have a track day in late April so I'll have some more time slips then. I can say that around town there's not much on the street that will take us off the line and unless someone is willing to push it two between 130-150mph they aren't going to be walking us on the freeway either. Around town it's a beast with gobs of torque available. Mine will break all four weeks loose under 45mph and rolls out like a train. On the track or street the tail will hang out with ease yet with the Sport Differential the difference is we have 100% control in handling vs just sliding.

Cliffs: Spend $3,000 USD and get an AWD Luxury Sedan that can hold it's own and then some with most anything under $100k.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, got the front bumper cover/grill all prepped up and ready for install.

Right around this point in the day, I figured it was high-time for a bit of lunch... Some Iowa pork shoulder steaks, marinated for about 12 hours... Good stuff. Man-meal...

Got the front end slapped back together, and then threw on the summer wheels. Wiped down the car with Optimum Gloss Enhancer/ID cut 1:3 water. I love this particular Optimum product!

I drove out to one of my favorite photo spots, only to find out the garage wasn't empty (oh well). I am driving the car easy with the underdrive pulley right now due to the stock tune. I hope to get out to Lichty Auto for the GIAC reflash sometime early next week if he has availability. He's enjoying some family time in Florida right now (good for him). Reflash and the other supporting mods should put the car up in the high 400s to the crank.

Will try to get some more video once I'm re-flashed.

STAY TUNED!!!

-

Dan Lensch

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

pdqgp,

interesting read, I havn't know of GIAC or DSG but one crazy guy that has APR StageI on his Seat Leon (car made to hate) for about 2Y says he doesn't understand why suddenly fuel consumption skyrocketed without control, he is totally pissed off about he did it then (he got other motor oil, coolant problems etc. because of it but he is affraid to admit he is an asshole)
    Another guy who sold his 997 Porsche Turbo few months ago & now rides new Ferrari 458 Spider or something V8 from Ferrari, couldn't explain what APR made better for him, he simply said: Marc, I am selling my Porsche if you know the people also state it got APR, he didn't really knew if it's good or bad selling point.
    In general people who own rather good cars here think APR is only good for the poor, small engines cars that want to jump on the street & make that other guy with something small to look after them how they press the gas pedal when light changes from orange to green, in short APR is not for serious people & their high end sport cars.
    I think the same that any performance increases are only good for big engines, 3L Audi in my opinion is too small to handle 470HP it will ping & knock the engine, wear it in an instant plus fuel & oil consumption will be uncotrolable, it will make troubles for sure after very short time, just my opinion.
    Tuning for Audi I understand only starting from RS4 or V8 S6 4.0L engine & RS6 I mean all RS with bigger engines, wouldn't for example recomment to go ABT-Sportline on RS3 Audi 2.5L engine from already hardly breathing 367 horses into 430HP, it's crazy, such small baby engines die faster than a falling star.
    Just my opinion about small motor tuning & the most crazy thing I see is that people who upgrade their performance...in the end treat their cars like before upgrading, they never ever go over 60-70mph & don't use this power at all, for them it's the: My car is custom tuned to this & that, I got this & that installed, they do it to get respect from others who got even smaller 1-2L engines. Isn't it crazy
    People who own big, luxury, fast sport cars from the factory are less interested in tuning, they simply press the gas pedal & enjoy it for free.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast