autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

DP paint coating on two cars - first time coating anything.

So yesterday I worked on two of my vehicles, the Abarth I have had for a couple of years and the HR-V is brand new. Had it a week and the just started selling them a week or so before that so paint was in decent shape but it had never been touched. I used a few Meguiars products to start, their car wash, detailers spray as lube for their clay. I then used DP coating prep polish and coated with DP paint coating. I also impulse purchased the Armor All tire glaze and tried it, I hate all things Armor All with a passion but the glaze looked interesting and I bought it spur of the moment while getting a new water hose. In the photos below the tires are totally dry to the touch, and they look the same way today after driving both cars.

I'm a total amateur at this so please be gentle, I did this all by hand. The cars are outdoors 24/7 as I have no garage. For two years outdoors the Abarth does not look bad I don't think. Also, note that the hatch of the Abarth was horribly contaminated no baggie test needed as it felt like sandpaper, the rest of the car was fine. I spent 20 minutes just claying the hatch trying to get it all off! I also used Meguiars ultimate compound on the hood and hatch of the Abarth before the DP prep polish.

I also found it is impossible to show how shiny white is, so these may not be as impressive as it is in person. Tried to show the Pearl in the White Orchid Pearl paint but these photos from my smart phone don't do it justice.

Paint coating went on easy, but on the Abarth it looked a little streaky at first but it buffed off fine. It kinda looked greasy I guess you'd say. I do line the slick feel of the paint though, hope it holds up good!

Now to the car that shows the product better:

And this is the hatch that was so horrible:

Very long day of detailing, and I'm sunburned but happy. Around seven hours total spent on these. I also did 303 fabric protection on the new HR-V.

Feel free to criticize as needed, I'm here to learn!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP paint coating on two cars - first time coating anything.

Both cars look great! I think you did a good job.

How do you like the HR-V? I'm curious about that vehicle. Is the cargo capacity adequate?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The cargo room is actually pretty good, we traded from a 13 CR-V to the HR-V and while it is less, it is still more than we need easily. Also with the seats doing the magic seat trick I think the usable space is very good and I can carry some things that I could not in the CR-V. My biggest worry was power but in real life day to day driving it has been absolutely fine and I don't even mind the CVT. Overall a very nice package and the ride and drive is really nice.

Double door seals and a seal between the front and rear door makes it a very quiet ride. We drove a ton of cars when looking but after testing the HR-V we put a deposit down that day. Apparently others agree, Honda sold 6400 of them in less than two weeks and the lots are emptying as quick as they come in. Current average time on the lot is 6 days and not many even know about it yet so that is truly amazing actually.

Couple small flaws, I'd like one or two more inches legroom towards the REAR of the front footwells. The gas tank is there so I know why it's that way but I'm not small at 6' 2' and my feet are large too lol. Carpet is odd, and I want HDMI to work when driving so my phone can show Waze. Still, overall we are loving it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! Both cars look great, especially the Abarth.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow both cars came out great, what did you use for tire shine?
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin glossy
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot to criticize, I think you did great!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, it is appreciated after all that hard work. I had the Abarth out today and many people were looking at it and I was stopped twice in parking lots as I went back to the car by people asking about it. It gets a ton more attention when looking like that! The white looks just as good, but you can't tell. Ah well, it will hide dirt better too I bet.

The tire shine was Armor All Outlast tire glaze. It was a whopping $8 and there was a $5 mail in rebate I'll never actually mail in. Went on easy, better than expected and really does look good and actually fully dries that shiny. First armor all product I've purchased in 10 years lol as I usually avoid them like the plague! Give them a shot on the tire though and so far I'm glad I did. Will have to update on how it looks in a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job!