autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford Ranger brought back to life

Well my father in law wanted the last of his vehicles done. I've already done his Ford Explorer, Buick Regal, and now he wanted his daily beater, his Ford Ranger done. This vehicle has been neglected for a while and was in need of some TLC. The paint was faded and had a lot of water spots, this seems to be one of the most common problems I face around here. Well I knew that this needed my go to XMT 360, but the hood was going to need something more so I used my new Menzerna Powergloss Compound followed up with 360. This was the first real test for my Surf City Garage Killer Chrome. I used it on the tool box and it worked awesome. Compared to doing the F350 dually doing this truck felt like detailing a matchbox car .

Here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels: Cleaned the tires and wheels with DP Gel Wheel Cleaner and black wheel schmitt. The wheel wells got Megs APC undiluted. Dressed the wheel wells with Stoners More shine and the tires with DP Gloss Tire Gel. Used DP Wheel Glaze on the wheels and buffed off with the Mother's mini powerball and a MF.

Wash: The bugs got the Poorboy's Bug Squash with the Pinnacle Safe Scrub. Washed with my AG foam gun and 50/50 mixture of DP Xtreme foam and Surf City Pacific blue wash. This combo works really well. Used a rinse bucket and a White/Yellow Schmitt. Dried with a leaf blower and Cobra Guzzler. All door jambs were cleaned with DG #921. This stuff is awesome.

Glass: All glass inside and out was cleaned with Surf City Clearly Better glass cleaner. Applied with a MF and dried with a Cobra WW.

Engine: Lightly misted with water and sprayed down with Megs APC undiluted. Then worked in with soft bristle brush and lightly rinsed down. Then dressed with Stoners More Shine.

Interior: I used DP Total Interior Cleaner followed up by DP Interior Surface Protectant. I vacuumed out with shop vac and shampooed the floor mats with Megs APC diluted 10:1. I used my PC with a green Aqua brush on the mats and they looked new again.

Toolbox: I used the Surf City Killer Chrome polish on it with my Hitachi and a wool pad. I put the Killer Chrome on with a Wolfgang finger pocket and then buffed off with the rotary. Here is a 50/50 shot that shows how big a difference the SC made:

Paint: I decided to use my go to 360 since the paint needed to be brought back to life, but felt like the hood needed a little help so I used Menzerna Powergloss Compound with PC and LC orange pad. Then I topped that with 360 and it did a great job as usual. I used the PC with an Orange LC pad. Here is a 50/50 shot of the hood with water spots and half with Menz. PG and 360.

Did the rest of the truck with XMT 360. I usually top the 360 with DP Surface Shield and that gives a great shine and he loves it (I put it on both his other cars). Well I decided to top it with the SC Nano Seal Protective Coat Sealant because it would give me a great test to compare the durability of DP and SC. I used the PC on speed 3 with a LC Blue Pad. I let it set for about an hour and wiped off with a Cobra MF. Man the shine on this thing was awesome now. I really like the Nano Seal. Goes on easy and off easy and leaves an incredible wet look.

After this I decided to do a little something extra. I had on my Jeep used the "jeweling" method with DG AW and man it worked great so I wanted to try the same thing with Optimum Car Wax. So I took my OCW, my PC, and a white polishing pad and went to work. I misted each panel with OCW and with the PC on speed 4.5 worked it in then buffed it off with a Cobra Jr. The results were great. The OCW really seemed to add depth to the Nano Seal. If you look at my signature shot you can see the step ladder I use in the reflection with Nano Seal and in the next shot with OCW it looks as though the ladder is deeper in the paint at least that's the way it looks to me.

Well here are the before and afters:

A before:

After with Nano Seal

After with Nano Seal and OCW

Signature Shot Before

Signature Shot After with Nano Seal (look at the ladder in reflection)

Signature Shot After OCW (to me ladder looks deeper in paint)

Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job indeed. When I read your process, I thought..PG..wow that seems extreme, but the before and after shot of the hood show what you were up against. Very nice wet, reflective shine there! He must have thought he got his new truck back again!

Junior Member 2001MineralGrayStang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get a brush to put on your PC???

Post Thanks / Like
    That truck looks great. Good job.
    On a side note: I love the way that neighborhood is laid out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001MineralGrayStang View Post
    Where did you get a brush to put on your PC???
    Right here at AG:

Porter Cable 7424 & Ultimate Detailing Machine Carpet & Upholstery Brushes

Jimmie - Thanks we really like the neighborhood too.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one sweet detail there wolfpacker92. I'm impressed with the 50/50 picture of the tool box, I've been on the side line with regards to the new line that AG brought in but those results pushed me even more to purchasing.

Really enjoyed your write up and I have to admit I do enjoy seeing the neighborhood there...very nice.

Thank you for sharing with us and you literally brought that truck back to life...the paint looks much, much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always enjoy your posts, keep them coming! Very impressive work, especially for just using 360!

What pad though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! The truck looks better then new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome work.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like
    those houses are beautiful, specially the one in the background with the two giant double door garage and the high roof. Thats like my dream home some day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast