autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes CLS63 AMG - Swirled out mess!

I received a phone call from the client. He explains that he has this black AMG and that he wants the works, and he wants this new coating that his friend has told him that I have. Okay, we talk a bit and he states that he wants inside and out, and I give him a quote.
    A couple of days before the delivery he text me and says he may not get the interior. I say to him,"It would be a shame to have the vehicle in, do all the work to the exterior and not address the interior." He says that we can talk more about it when he drops off the car.
    Sunday afternoon rolls around and he pulls in.

BIG CAR!!

BLACK CAR!!!

We discuss the interior option and he gives me the go ahead to handle everything.
    Next evening, Monday, I get started with full cleanse, foaming with Chemical Guys Citrus wash, two-bucket method. The wheels had been recently installed, so wheel woolies and citrus wash was all it took to clean the wheels. The tires on the other hand had to be scrubbed three times, once with Megs APC, once with P21S TAW and then I actually took 1Z Einzett W99, and brushed it over them to get the crud off...Silicone Dressing anyone?

Once the vehicle was dried, this is what I find!!!

The owner has only had the vehicle 3-months, this is damage from a previous owner. Tunnel of swirls was not a problem for the original owner. WOW!!

Notice the letters. Dirt and crud behind the letters indicates someone who never had their car detailed correctly.

This is the point where I as a detailer start to think that this car may not be a candidate for coating. This is prior to speaking with the current owner and understanding that he has never ran the car thru a car wash and that he hand washes this car.
    Okay, I feel better now.

Onto correction. This is where the hammer falls! And when I say hammer, I grabbed the FLEX 3401, and a green Rupes pad, I know that would be considered blasphemy, but as detailers, we need to drop the egos and use what works. In this situation, the combo with Sonax Cutmax produced great results for the cutting phase.

You can still see some haze, which gets cleaned up later.

I had to go heavy handed in some spots, rotary, M100, MF cutting disc, M100. Some areas were just rough.

I pulled the lettering off so that I could get the areas cleaned and corrected.

Slow and steady!

Getting there.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Outside prior to any coating.

Primer applied

Afters:

Modesta BC-04 applied to the paint. CarPro Dlux applied to wheels faces, interior was steamed, carbon areas treated with Klasse AIO, leather was cleaned and treated with Swissvax leather glaze and leather milk.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mercedes CLS63 AMG - Swirled out mess!

Nice save, that car almost looked gray because of all the swirls. I take it you cleaned the emblems off the car then reapplied?

Post Thanks / Like

What a save

Can't believe that the previous owner let the car get into that state, in 3 months.... WOW

Post Thanks / Like

Great save!!!

I'm also interested in the emblems. Don't see them in the afters. I'm guessing the owner no longer wanted them?
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

HUMP my friend, you killed it buddy!!! Outstanding job on a messed up car! Superb job

Post Thanks / Like

man that looks good. was it ceramic clear coat? I have 3 benz 2 black 1 white all ceramic. I get good results from WG uber.

Post Thanks / Like

OP - AWESOME WORK!!!!!! how long did the whole thing take?

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    What a save

Can't believe that the previous owner let the car get into that state, in 3 months.... WOW
    haha, i think the new owner has had it three months - not sure how long the last owner had it but regardless - that thing is HAMMERED...but oh so common. people get a car like that and they want it "clean" all the time...so they get a monthly pass at the local car wash and just keep driving through any chance they get. it's like having Roy Jones Jr. in his prime punching you in the face over and over.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

1. Yes the new owner has only had it three months, the previous owner, no idea. Long enough to mess it up. The drivers seat had also had a leather repair done to it, and apparently they just used black, but the interior was not jet black.

2. The emblems were re-installed after coating curing.

3. The detail took the better part of 40+ hours.

4. Ceramiclear? I did the research prior to starting on this car and made sure that I looked at the color code. Fortunately, no, it was not Ceramiclear. On the other hand, even if it was, I think the initial condition of the car would have deemed it useless anyway.

As you guy stated, this thing was hammered. It is not a 100% paint correction, never will be. It is corrected and coated now and should stay the way it is as long as the new owner doesn't depend on the tunnel of doom to take care of his cleaning.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work. How thrilled was the owner?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast