autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1990 Marina Blue Miata restored with Wolfgang's new AIO

My bottle of Wolfgang's new Uber All in One came in today, so I gave it a go on my customer's 1990 Mariner Blue Mazda Miata.

The car still had the original thinly sprayed single stage paint it came with 25 years ago. It was horribly oxidized, scratched, etched, and had a ton of water spots everywhere. These paints tend to stain and oxidize very easily so it's always important to keep them protected. You would think a polish or even a compound would be necessary to bring back the gloss, but my experience with these car's soft paint made me want to try Wolfgang's AIO since it works as a fine polish.

I started by washing the car, cleaning the wheels, cleaning the top, and giving it an Iron X bath. There was a ton of gunk built up around the emblems, trim, under the gas lid, and between panels that had to be cleaned with a soft nylon detailing brush. After washing, I followed up with a mechanical decontamination using a fine Nanoskin mitt. I dried the car with a Cobra Guzzler HD towel and gave the paint another inspection to get a good idea of what and where the major defects were.

The wheels were relatively new so not much came out from the Iron X. The paint on the other hand was dripping purple.

I decided on using Lake Country hybrid orange pads with the AIO and my Flex 3401. The product comes out very liquidy, but I wasn't expecting it to be thick like FG 400 or Uber Compound. This did not affect performance in any way.

Initial polishing speed was 4 with medium pressure and 3 with reduced pressure during the final passes.

Here are some 50/50s of how it performed. The owner came out while I was working and was just as happy with the results as I was.

Of course a lot of paint transfer was to be expected. After each work section I cleaned off my pad with a microfiber towel nylon brush. I only used 2 pads on this entire car.

I was surprised at how well this product works on when paired with the right pad. Usually I use D151 but I think this is my new go to AIO. If the durability is really up to 6 months as they say, then this stuff should definitely outlast D151.

I used the AIO on the glass as well. It did a great job at cleaning up nasty water spots from the windshield. Wheels were protected with GTechniq C2V3. Tires and trim were coated with Ultima Tire & Trim Guard.

Here are the final results.

Here's the same customer's 2006 Miata I detailed last week. He's a fellow member of the local Miata club so naturally he's got a handful of these cars lying around.

Next time I'll be trying this stuff out on something with clear coat. I'll be sure to post up when that happens.

Well that's all I got. Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1990 Marina Blue Miata restored with Wolfgang's new AIO

Tremendous! Great job. in your experience with single stage paint, do you find the thickness to be an issue with some cars? I see you had a lot of color on the pad. Just curious. Looks fantastic.
    DMac

Post Thanks / Like

WOW great work, looks like a great product as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a great job!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work and pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Wow impressive!
    IDA-CD
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by roswell630 View Post
    Tremendous! Great job. in your experience with single stage paint, do you find the thickness to be an issue with some cars? I see you had a lot of color on the pad. Just curious. Looks fantastic.
    The paint transfer does tend to get a bit annoying on some cars, but it's not too bad on old Mazda paint. It was a lot more troublesome in my opinion working on my dad's Guards Red 944. I guess it depends on how soft the paint is and how aggressive your correction approach is. I think it's good practice to clean your pad after every work section. That way you're not introducing a ton of spent product and removed paint onto the surface when you go back to polish. The picture was right before I switched to a fresh pad. It wasn't cleaned or brushed down before I took the picture so it looks pretty bad haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Simply beautiful. Great job!

The top looks fairly new, or did you also do the plastic window?
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

And I always mean to ask: what year is the hidden one in your sig pic? Is it an autocrosser?
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Simply beautiful. Great job!

The top looks fairly new, or did you also do the plastic window?
    The owner changed the top recently to a glass window type. I did go over the glass with the AIO but it was already clean and free of water spots.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    And I always mean to ask: what year is the hidden one in your sig pic? Is it an autocrosser?
    It's a 1990 with a BEGi T25 turbo kit. Never taken it for autocrossing but it does see the local 2.38 mile race track here in Houston

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast