autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornado Red Golf 6 Gti - Detailed by Lawrence

It wasn't until I had polished red paint for the first time that I ever considered owning a red car one day. ops: but since I have been fortunate enough to see it polished right, there is just something about it, along with black, that keeps me wanting to look at it :grin:

Unfortunately though they have been few and far between (4 out of the 30 cars I have done since the 458 Italia in November last year) and so I was just as excited to see the paint at the end and the customer no doubt was. I get this feeling with any car, any color, but red and black are just a tad special.

Anyways....

Friday night I cleaned up the interior.

There was the usual dust

And there was grime, which was cleaned using Cyclo APC and various brushes and MF towels (damp and dry) and then then protected with AF Spritz.

And the grime (that's the shiny [read body oils, sweat and ....other.....stuff..... uke: ] side in case you were wondering) was on the leather too.

So interior went from this

To this

Obviously all the carpets were vacuumed and the rubbers would be cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Rubber Cleaner later on in the detail.

The door jambs were pretty dirty

They were cleaned during the wash with Cyclo APC via a foaming trigger head and various brushes, then cleaned/polished/protected using AF Tripple.

Obviously there was the usual dirt on the car

[/URL]

Some bird droppings which caused a really nasty etching

[/URL]

The wheels and arches were dirty

As were the brake calipers

But they cleaned up nicely

The badges also had some dirt

Which was cleaned off during the wash

Here are some pics of the damage to the paint

Driver rear fender had taken a knock

Passenger front door had too

Which was subjected to a crude touch up 'repair'

There were swirls and deep RIDS everywhere, as well as some lovely hologramming from a well know commercial outfit

[URL=http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/polo_playa/media/Detailing%20-%20Nishal%20Golf%20Gti%2007%20Sep%2014/IMG_2062_zpse9d6078c.jpg.html]

So as usual the arches, tires and wheels were cleaned and decontaminated first. Products used were Cyclo APC + Mothers Fender Well Brush, Mothers Tire and Rubber Cleaner + Mothers Tire brush, Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner + Daytona Jnr + Valet Pro brush, Valet Pro Dragon's Breath, Valet Pro Citrus Tar Remover. They would later be sealed using Menzerna Powerlock and Optimum Tire Shine was used to dress the tires, with a coat of Glossworx Tire Shine being used for the front arches (the rears are çarpeted').

Once this was done the car was HP rinsed, the lower portions, front bumper and complete rear end pre-treated using Valet Pro Citrus Pre-wash and the car then pre-foamed using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II which was left to dwell before being HP rinsed off again. A full 2BM wash followed using Lambswool wash mitts and AF Lather.

I then used Valet Pro Citrus Tar Remover and Dragon's Breath for the first 2 steps of the decontamination and Shield Heavy Duty Clay for the last step with ONR as lube.

I then took paint thickness readings which showed that for the most part the OEM paint averaged around 120µ with one thin'ish section near the sunroof at 90µ. It also revealed that the driver rear door had been repainted reading on average 250µ. The repaint had been blended into the rear fender, reaching up almost to the roof, and it was here that I discovered some clear coat failure.

It would seem that whomever was polishing out the sanding marks from the respray rolled over from the repainted area onto the OEM paint using the same (presumably) wool pad and rotary with an aggressive cutting compound, and effectively polished off the clear coat. :bang:

It blows my mind how people can have complete disregard for other people's possesions.

You can clearly see the faded/scratched base coat with no clear on the upper portion in this after pic. Nothing short of a repaint is going to fix that.

So anyway, on to to the actual paint correction. After a few test spots I settled on Menzerna FG400/ LC Cyan Hydrotech Pad followed by Menzerna SF4000 / LC Crimson Hydrotech, all using the Flex 3401 VRG.

This is a pic from one of the test spots, only after the initial cut.

The B-pillars would be corrected using Menzerna FG400/LC CCS Orange pad (4") followed by Menzerna SF4000 / LC CCS Grey pad (4") on a shield DA - the same approach was used on the tailights.

The paint was then protected using Soft99 Fusso Coat (Dark) before I got around to dealing with the rest of the items, such as they exhaust tips, which went from this

To this, after being cleaned and then polished using Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish

The glass was then cleaned using Glossworx Glass Cleaner. The exterior plastics and window rubbers cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and protected using Aerospace 303 protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornado Red Golf 6 Gti - Detailed by Lawrence

Here are a few shots I managed to grab before the owner arrived and the sun completely disappeared.

As you can see some deeper RIDS remained - I was not prepared to chase them on a relatively new daily driver.

Here you can see the failed clear coat again

Total time spent = 27 hours

As always, thanks for looking and any comments or questions are welcomed :hi:

Post Thanks / Like

fantastic job

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work Mr. VW! That red paint really pops!

I see you were able to use your new 3401. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zckid View Post
    fantastic job
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Outstanding work Mr. VW! That red paint really pops!

I see you were able to use your new 3401. Thoughts?
    Thanks Mike. Well this was the first time I have used the flex or any kind of forced rotation machine, and having read many stories around the 'walking' issue, was not sure what to expect.

Having only used a comparatively underpowered DA for all my work previously, learning to keep the pad flat was a requirement to get decent results, so switching over to the flex was not a big adjustment at all.

I felt quite comfortable after 2 panels and am simply in love with the machine. I am sure after a few more cars it will feel as much an extension of my hands as my traditional DA already does.

I do not yet have any hybrid pads so used the 5.5" hydrotechs on the 4 3/8 BP and they seemed to work well enough.

I did find that the 'walking' issue seems more pronounced at lower speeds, so landed up working Fg400 at 3.5 instead of speed 3 as you suggest in your 'guide'. Once I have a better feel for the machine, I will tone it down half a notch.

But overall, I really dig it and am kicking myself for not picking on up earlier

Post Thanks / Like

i love red and black vehicles when they are done right, nice job...

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing looks better than freshly finished black and red.

Is it just me or does VW have some of the best paint out there? the finish just looks better to me than many other brands. But i am partial.

NICE WORK! 10/10
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the VDub, that red is really RED now!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    i love red and black vehicles when they are done right, nice job...
    Yes they are really are nice colors.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRabbit2.5 View Post

Nothing looks better than freshly finished black and red.

Is it just me or does VW have some of the best paint out there? the finish just looks better to me than many other brands. But i am partial.

NICE WORK! 10/10
    Thanks very much.

Yeah I tend to do a lot of VW's due to my connection to the local VW club and I do really like their paint, albeit a bit on the harder side when it comes to defect removal.

I have another one coming in tonight. It is a Deep Black Pearl Golf 7 .:R

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Great job on the VDub, that red is really RED now!
    Thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like

Another outstanding job my friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast