autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Show 'N Shine: 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG - CQuartz Finest. LOTS of pictures!

Here is a little eye candy for you guys.

Subject: 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
    Condition: Brand New with a little more than 2000 miles on the speedometer
    Requested Detail: Complete enhancement and protection using CQuartz Finest
    The Story: This gentlemen contacted me out of the blue after researching ways to protect his new investment. After much forum reading and an few days of searching the internet for local options, he contacted me to set up an appointment. He described how he came to select us and gave me much details on his new car, which sounded a little too good to be true. I do have to say that I was extremely skeptical at first considered that 98% of my business is word of mouth and local (within a 30 mile radius), and considering the fact that he would be driving 2 1/2 hrs to drop off his car. Well, we did set the appointment and on the day in question we met in a hotel parking lot (where I was to take possession of the car and drive it back to my shop). He was scheduled to go offshore for 2 weeks and left his new car with me to take care of and store until he came back. The whole start of this experience was surreal!?!?! An offshore worker, contacting me out of thin air, driving 2 1/2 hrs to drop off his car.... well, you get the picture!! I guess sometimes "too good to be true" actually come true

Here is what the car looked like when it arrived at the shop:

The process of taking care of this car started exactly the same as any other project. In order to do a proper inspection, a through wash was in order

After the wash came the IronX treatment followed by the claying. This was followed by another wash. The clay process was done using the Nanoskin wash mitt (light grade).

Then came the drying process for which we used a combination of waffle weave microfiber towels and forced air

Then came the inspection. Knowing that it was a new vehicle I was expecting minor defects and was pleased to see that even though he had other "detailers" take care of his car that he was able to keep the damage to a minimum. As you can see from the pictures below you can see mild water spots and mild scratches, a combination of the neglect at the dealership and the mishandling by the prior "detailer".

We are dealing with a high price tag vehicle, wouldn't you say? A marvel of German engineering, right? Then what is up with those thin paint reading I was getting. Measurements varied throughout between 78-102 microns with random areas exceeding 110 micron (and not the areas you cared to have that much paint).

Having this knowledge in mind and understanding that I was dealing with minor defects I did a couple of test passes and settled on a combination of Orange LC flat pads and Menzerna PF2500 on my Rupes 21. Following the polishing came a complete wipedown using CarPro Eraser. The key to great results is in the prep. We actually had to do a double wipedown to ensure a "surgically clean" substrate to apply the coating, which in this case was CQuartz Finest.

The Finest product was used on the paint only, receiving a triple layering in key areas. We read a lot of "claims" of how much product is actually add to the clear, so I decided to do the leg work and show my "before and after" to prove (to myself) that we were actually adding something "significant". The measurements prior to compounding measured 86 microns (4 readings taken and averaged), after the compounding I averaged 84 microns, and after 3 "generous" laying of Finest on the hood the measurement was 89 microns

In addition to the paint coating, the glass, headlight and taillight lenses, hard plastic were all coated with surface specific coating by CarPro (DLux) and Pinnacle Black Label (surface specific). Each received 2 layers (except the DLux).

The engine bay was detailed and dressed using CarPro PERL.

The interior was meticulously detailed and protected

.... and now to unveil the "Gloss Fest"

Tools:
    3 Bucket (2 bucket technique for the paint and 1 bucket for the wheels)
    Foam Cannon w/ Karcher PW Wolfgang Foam Cannon HP, foam lance, car wash foamer, pressure washer foam gun
    Nanoskin clay mitt Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt
    Speed Master Brushes Speed Master Wheel Brush Trio
    Mother's wheel brushes Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit
    Boar's hair lug brush Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts
    Master Blaster The Metro Master Blaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower.
    Defelsko combo PTG Defelsko Paint Thickness Gauge, Paint thickness meter, coating thickness gauge, auto paint meter, car paint meter
    Rupes 21es w/ interchangeable 5" backing plate Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher, rupes car polisher
    Tornador black Z-020 Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun, Z-020 Tornador Black
    Variety of Microfiber cleaning, drying, polishing and multi-purpose products

Products
    Dawn Soap (blue)
    CG Honeydew Snow Foam Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam 128 oz.
    CarPro IronX Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination
    Menzerna PF2500 Menzerna Power Finish PO 203, one step polish, swirl remover, finishing polish, car polish, german car polish, menzerna polishing compounds, power
    Lake Country 5.5" flat pads Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads
    CarPro Eraser CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser 1 Liter Refill
    CarPro DLux CQuartz DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating
    CarPro PERL PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant, vinyl and rubber dressing, interior protectant
    Pinnacle Black Label coatings for glass and rims Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass & Wheel Combo
    Blackfire Interior Protectant BLACKFIRE Interior Protectant

I do hope this covers it all!! If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post them up. I promise to answer them to the best of my abilities. Before someone asks... total amount of hours invested in this car was right at 22 man hours.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show 'N Shine: 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG - CQuartz Finest. LOTS of pictures!

Gorgeous!! Great work & write up, Claude!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work!

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work and very nice write up as well!

Post Thanks / Like

looks great good job.. love the interior on that car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome write up. Clicked on some links and placed an order too. Love it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that AMG is glossy, nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing car and awesome work!

This car ended up looking much better than new. I also enjoyed the write up a lot and all your protection work, you went deep into this and I'm sure customer will be really glad he found you.

I believe your preparation was fundamental for this results, but your will to protect the beautiful finish you created is what shines (for me) in this meticulous detail.

About interior, speechless. Looks a very peaceful and enjoyable environment.

Thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Claude. The owner made a wise choice when he chose you

Tell him you'll drive the 2.5 hrs back and catch a Greyhound Bus home. AMG autos define FUN !!

Post Thanks / Like

Admirable work, enjoyed the write up!! Thanks for putting in the links as well to better understand your tools/products used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast