autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 00 BMW 3 series

Post Thanks / Like

00 BMW 3 series

This is an '00 3 series. The first issue it had was overspray from hell. I don't know what he got into, but the car was covered in it. That makes prepwork a bit of a pain since you have to be careful to clay every square inch of the car. On black any area I missed was highly visible and I had to do it again. Just check out the density of this overspay:

Not pretty. After the clay came the polish. This was the madien voyage of the UDM. I used Four Star Medium Cut Compound since that has worked so well for me on swirled Germans latley. Using the white pad that came in my Autogeek pad kit I went to work. I'd say they came out pretty nicely.

There are a few marks left that could have benefited from some more polishing, but one pass with 4* MCC seems to do the trick for the most part. A firmer cutting pad and this polish would be a great combo. I'm definitley stocking up on this stuff. www.Danase.com seems to be one of the last places to get the 4* line of polishes. If anyone else knows where I can get some then I would love to know.

The sun had passed behind some trees by the time I got done, so I didn't get great after shots. Forgive these money shots in the shade, but it was all I was able to get. I finished it with Danase Wet Glaze. It is really a nice product for black that I have been getting great results with. I had considered using Wolfgang on it, but the owner was there and he said I could experiment. If nothing else then these low light pictures show off how good this product looks on black in the evening when the sun goes down.

The engine was detailed with the usual process and CD2 Engine Detailer. I'm still looking for a product that does this good with as little effort, but I'm coming up short. Of course, with BMW engines there are a number of things that work well since there isn't a lot of exposed hoses. I've used Poorboys Bold N Bright with great success on these engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that was some HEAVY overspray. The paint looks great. When I looked at the after pic of the hood, I thought there was some terrible defects, but then I realized that was the reflection of the ceiling . That engine bay is stunning. I love the look of black when the sun is going down. What do you use to clean your wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL I thought about that when I took the pictures. But then I realized that I couldn't even see that kind of detail in the reflection before, so it was even more imactful that you could see it after. The ceiling needs some detailing too though...

I use Eagle One Wheel & Tire cleaner in the beginning and then I do the rest of the work by hand. I've found that Meguiar's Quick Wheel Detailer works well to get brake dust and waterspots off after I dress the tires. I use Four Star Bazooka tire gloss on those. Then the Meguiar's Wheel QD does the rest. I've got a retired wash mitt that I use on wheels too. Especially on german wheels like BMW, Porsche, and Audi. Those get the worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that ceiling does need a detailing! What could take that off? Lol

You sure do love Four Star. I do would like to try out a Four Star product, but I'm broke as a joke . Why do German wheels get bad anyways?

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine looks great too, i use AA in there, and cranck it up and let it run for 5-10 min after (Justin tip)

Never done a detail with so much overspray, didnt think the clay could remove all of it, but it looks like it did. Great job
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klumzypinoy
    Yeah that ceiling does need a detailing! What could take that off? Lol

You sure do love Four Star. I do would like to try out a Four Star product, but I'm broke as a joke . Why do German wheels get bad anyways?

I think it must be the brake pads. I've seen german cars that switch to ceramic brake pads and the dusting isn't as bad. Ask anyone here and they'll tell you that BMWs and other German cars have the worst brake dust issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, I would have cried to see all that overspray. You got here looking beautiful again. I tried every where for CD2 Engine spray. Someone told me Autozone. They told me they never heard of it. Get with Meghan and see if AG will start having it in stock. Just look at AG store and Four Star Ultimate Car Care Products has about all except the polish. Thanks for sharing...

Post Thanks / Like
    How hard was the clear? My E46 M3 is pretty tough to tackle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how hard the clear was. It was hard enough that it took the MCC to get the swirls out. It didn't take much effort to remove them though. It wasn't any worse than any other car I've polished. There are certianly harder finishes to polish out there than what this one was.

AG should carry CD2. I'm sure there is a reason if they aren't carrying it. Maybe Turtle Wax is limiting the distributorship. What I think they need to do is make something that compares to it. I'm sure that Pinnacle or Wolfgang can come up with something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Overspray is how I got into detailing in the first place, YES, it's a complete pain but you made it look GOOD again! Nice work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast