autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK :) {and im a newbie}

This is my first "real work" project. I've done some work on my old daily drivers, and the family Durango, mostly water spot removal. I was stationed in Hawaii (Oahu) for 17 years and the water there is terrible. I've been a member here for a several years, as a sneaker... reading and learning. I have a PC 7424 and numerous Lake Country pad and currently i'm using XMT swirl remover products, 4-1 and XMT carnuba glaze and Detailers Pride sealant. i'm finishing with mothers synthetic wax.
    so, why am I here.
    i'll post my pics and hope you guys can help.

I don't know what the "marring" is on the photo after wash and clay. look to the left of the photo. what is that? why is it there? i'm using mothers clay and speed lube for the clay. am I doing something wrong?

the rest of the pics are pretty self explanatory. I for the life of me don't understand how i'm getting the small circular swirls afterwards. I know arm speed, pressure and pads play a part.

so, arm speed is "slow-ish". pressure is enough to "push the pad down" a bit.
    Pads:
    xmt 3 I use Orange Low Profile Light Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad.

xmt 1 I use Pink Low Profile Cutting/Polishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad

for the glaze and sealant I use

Gray Low Profile Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    and for the wax I use
    Red Low Profile Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant 5.5 inch Foam Pad

any and all help is greatly appreciated. if I missed an article please point me that way.
    if you are willing to share any of your own tips, "I'm all ears".

thank you very much in advance.
    Regards,
    tunakiller (Rob Gibbs)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-stripe-removal-before-wash-clay-bar-application-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-wash-before-clay-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-wash-clay-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-xmt-number-3-1-what-small-swirls-how-do-i-get-rid-them-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-xmt-3-1-again-better-swirl-shot-these-rids-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-after-xmt-3-1-one-coat-xmt-carnuba-glaze-one-coat-dp-sealant-one-coat-mothers-synthetic-jpg   2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK  :) {and im a newbie}-finished-product-quarter-panel-only-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Mustang GT, UA BLACK :) {and im a newbie}

Welcome to autogeek, and nice work on that muscle car keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

You need to use a cutting pad (orange/yellow/cyan/MF) or you need to adjust your technique. My guess is a little of both. With the PC you may need a lot of downward force and a very slow arm speed - that is why most of us are recommending Rupes or Griots machines.

But - it can be done with a PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    You need to use a cutting pad (orange/yellow/cyan/MF) or you need to adjust your technique. My guess is a little of both. With the PC you may need a lot of downward force and a very slow arm speed - that is why most of us are recommending Rupes or Griots machines.

But - it can be done with a PC.
    i'm using an orange cutting pad, (Lake Country).
    thanks for the advice.
    so the small swirls that are coming up after I use xmt 3 and 1 are from the machine and my mistakes? not using enough downward pressure and I need to slow down?

what are the marring marks after I clay?
    again, thanks!
    rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Marring can sometimes just happen from claying. On dark cars it can be unavoidable. Clay has abrasive properties to it.

I'm wondering if you are removing the swirls to begin with? Usually with new users the issue is technique not being aggressive enough. I missed you had used a cutting pad.

I would try it again, prime your pad, use a lot of downward force (PC still spinning), and make your arm speed 1-2" inches a second. You want to do about 6 passes.

Really focus on moving the machine slow and think about what you are trying to achieve (cutting paint with a foam pad).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Marring can sometimes just happen from claying. On dark cars it can be unavoidable. Clay has abrasive properties to it.

I'm wondering if you are removing the swirls to begin with? Usually with new users the issue is technique not being aggressive enough. I missed you had used a cutting pad.

I would try it again, prime your pad, use a lot of downward force (PC still spinning), and make your arm speed 1-2" inches a second. You want to do about 6 passes.

Really focus on moving the machine slow and think about what you are trying to achieve (cutting paint with a foam pad).
    ok, thank you. now I know just how much to slow down my arm speed and the clay process may just simply be unavoidable.

as far as the swirls, i'm definitely removing them. i'll have to get better at my picture taking skills, but if you look at the pictures, you can see sever swirls before I start, and small, circular ones when im finished.
    thank you so much for the replies. it really helps!
    regards,
    rob

Post Thanks / Like

This right here:

Looks like marring from XMT 3. So, you may need to go more aggressive with your finishing technique - XMT 1 - (slow arm speed / more passes / more pressure).

XMT 1 should be cleaning that up.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much! now I know which direction to pursue!!!
    regards,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

should I be using an orange pad or a white or pink for the no 1?