autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile First Time Clay Bar, Wax, & Rim Polish!

So I posted a few weeks ago in the detailing section about the issues Im having with my dirty rims here: It was established that they are permanent stains on my rims from who knows what. (They are powder coated btw, and supposed to be Satin/Matte black.) Never put anything on them before and they are only 4900 miles old:

So here's what I decided to buy: Meguiar's M205 polish to cover up the rim stains. Also, although its not related to the rims, some users convinced me to get a clay bar and Mothers wax while I was at it. Never tried either:

1: Washed & scrubbed rims:

2: Result after cleaning rims (still looks stained as hell):

3: After putting on Meguiar's M205 Polish (Still not great, but Much improved, so Id say it works):

3 (continuation): Side by side before & After 205 polish:

4 Wash & Dry Bought this leaf blower to dry the car off:

5 Claybar & Wax
    So I found the clay bar to be a complete waste of money. I dont have before & after images, as this was a 3 hour car wash, and it got dark by the time I was done. But It was very difficult to use and hold. I watched video tutorials of mike doing it, but it was still very awkward. It was very abrasive also, kept getting stuck, wouldnt rub, gets squished up, etc.. I used the lubricant spray it came with, followed all the rules, just wasnt worth it at all.
    Anywho, after that I used the mothers wax, which looked good. Then tire shine, and I was done! Took 3 Hours and 10 minutes to be exact. So now Ill use the 205 polish for the rims from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Clay Bar, Wax, & Rim Polish!

Perhaps you should clay something bigger to get a feel for it. If it's gummy/grabby and you have ample lubrication then you're removing contamination. Don't press hard and keep it wet.

Most people consider polish to be a brightener. Retailers a polish is a mild abrasive. Over use of 205 would be a bad thing. Get the as clean as possible and then keep them waxed or sealed and as clean as possible.

If you get really desperate you might be able to try iron-X to see if anything comes out.

What kind of soap are you using to clean your wheels with most of the time?

Good looking wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

The Clay bar: I dont think it was difficult due to contaminants coming off, I think my car really didnt need it in the first place. It was pretty ridiculously new & clean looking already. Just thought Id try it incase it did make it look newer, but really didnt. But eh...oh well, it was my 1st time.

Iron-X: Someone else recommend that to me also, I was worried about it being too rough on my powder coated rims, but It seems safe. I will try that next, Because eventually this polish will wear off. Hopefully the Iron-X would work, whatever is on my rims is just SOOO baked in there.

Soap I use: I use Dish Soap & then Armor All Extreme Wheel Cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcrcool View Post
    The Clay bar: I dont think it was difficult due to contaminants coming off, I think my car really didnt need it in the first place. It was pretty ridiculously new & clean looking already. Just thought Id try it incase it did make it look newer, but really didnt. But eh...oh well, it was my 1st time.

Iron-X: Someone else recommend that to me also, I was worried about it being too rough on my powder coated rims, but It seems safe. I will try that next, Because eventually this polish will wear off. Hopefully the Iron-X would work, whatever is on my rims is just SOOO baked in there.

Soap I use: I use Dish Soap & then Armor All Extreme Wheel Cleaner.
    0. Great job on the wheels! They look much better now!!!

1. You won't 'see' the difference after using a clay bar to decontaminate paint (unless you're working on a heavily contaminated light colored surface). Mostly you will feel the difference after claying. Trust me, if you have never clayed your vehicle, and it spends ANY amount of time outside, you WILL notice the difference in smoothness after claying the paint.

2. M205 is a very fine abrasive polish. While there are some oils that carry the abrasives that *may* remain on the surface, the product isn't designed to remain on the surface as any sort of protection. You mentioned that it will eventually "wear off" which isn't exactly true. The final results you have achieved are there to stay as long as maintained correctly and with quality cleaners.

3. I'm not sure Iron X will make a difference with the remaining staining on the wheels. As others have mentioned (and as evident in the results achieved with M205) the 'staining' is likely chemical damage or water spotting that is etched INTO the wheel's finish. The M205 polished away a microscopic layer of these defects, revealing a fresh (better looking) surface. More polishing will likely restore the wheels to a new look (provided the etching doesn't go all the way through the clear coat).
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap is that really what the rim looked like after you cleaned them? I thought you accidentally put a before picture in its place

Detailing- my stress reliever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
    Holy crap is that really what the rim looked like after you cleaned them? I thought you accidentally put a before picture in its place
    IKR! Its bad, you dont actually notice it from a distance, but yeah, its bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    0. Great job on the wheels! They look much better now!!!

1. You won't 'see' the difference after using a clay bar to decontaminate paint (unless you're working on a heavily contaminated light colored surface). Mostly you will feel the difference after claying. Trust me, if you have never clayed your vehicle, and it spends ANY amount of time outside, you WILL notice the difference in smoothness after claying the paint.

2. M205 is a very fine abrasive polish. While there are some oils that carry the abrasives that *may* remain on the surface, the product isn't designed to remain on the surface as any sort of protection. You mentioned that it will eventually "wear off" which isn't exactly true. The final results you have achieved are there to stay as long as maintained correctly and with quality cleaners.

3. I'm not sure Iron X will make a difference with the remaining staining on the wheels. As others have mentioned (and as evident in the results achieved with M205) the 'staining' is likely chemical damage or water spotting that is etched INTO the wheel's finish. The M205 polished away a microscopic layer of these defects, revealing a fresh (better looking) surface. More polishing will likely restore the wheels to a new look (provided the etching doesn't go all the way through the clear coat).
    1: Ah okay, that makes sense. Then Im sure it did help some. Good to know. Still was rather difficult to use though.

3: Ah so the polish basically already did the job of the Iron X.
    -But if "More polishing will likely restore the wheels to a new look", but at the same time it could go through the clear coat and damage it, its hard to know whether its worth using the polish or not. The other user above advised against it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I know the problem. I saw Armor All Wheel Cleaner in one of your pics. I bet those wheels are damaged from cheap or harsh wheel cleaners. Get a quality surfactant based wheel cleaner. Leave Armor All at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I think I know the problem. I saw Armor All Wheel Cleaner in one of your pics. I bet those wheels are damaged from cheap or harsh wheel cleaners. Get a quality surfactant based wheel cleaner. Leave Armor All at Walmart.

I actually only got Armor all wheel cleaner a few weeks ago as as solution to the staining. So it was long after the damage, but it didnt help anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

First Time Clay Bar, Wax, & Rim Polish!

What do you think caused this issue? That looks like damage from letting an acidic wheel cleaner dwell and dry on the wheel. If not, after 4900 miles you should ask the powder coater to re-do them, or you should get a refund if you bought them PC'ed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast