autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes-Benz C250 Detail by Adanmtxt1

Hi guys - this is my first post here and I want to share a detail I did of my C250 today. I'm not into machine work but I've been trying to refine my processes and understanding of detailing so, as I'll say again below, I welcome any advice.

The purpose was to strip off the existing protection in place, clean the paintwork of contaminants and see what kind of condition the paintwork was in, and apply Blackfire Crystal Seal as the primary layer of protection. I learned a few things which I'll share below; the process took about 4.5 hours. Hope you enjoy.

Products used:
    Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner
    Adam's Car Shampoo
    Adam's Glass Cleaner
    Adam's Glass Sealant
    Optimum No Rinse
    Chemical Guys Gray (medium) Clay
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaner
    Blackfire Crystal Seal Sealant
    Collinite 476s Wax
    Optimum Opti Bond

Materials:
    Uber Wash Mitt
    Waffle-Weave Microfiber Drying Towels (from Autopia store)
    Uber Glass Towels
    Uber Quick Detail Microfiber Towels
    Kwazar Mercury Pro Spray Bottles

Quick shout out to Detailers Domain and Autogeek for the great online shopping assortment and service.

DSC_2689m by Lunitic, on Flickr

Well, I walked out to a beautiful morning in Chicago, about 50*F with intermittent clouds which is good for detailing. I started out by mixing my Adam's car shampoo while I let the Sonax Full Effect dwell, then wiped down the wheels, rinsed the whole car, and briefly looked it over. Water was beading reasonably well but the current Collinite 476s application was over two months old, though washes every week were followed by a coating of Finish Kare 425.

DSC_2690m by Lunitic, on Flickr

DSC_2691m by Lunitic, on Flickr

The C250 was washed, rinsed, and dryed. Using a diluted solution of ONR, I went over the entire car with a new half-bar of the medium-strength CG clay. Thing I learned #1: even a 10 month-old car I thought I washed and protected pretty well accumulated far more bonded contaminants than I had ever imagined. This is after only half the hood:

DSC_2692m by Lunitic, on Flickr

Dirty! The good news is I took all that garbage off the paintwork, and after claying the whole car looked and felt appreciably cleaner and smoother. The bad news is this step took far longer than I expected, having covered all the exterior surfaces as well as the interior sides of the rocker panels and the door jambs. But of course I found lots of deposits there as well, so it's not all bad. After claying, the car was rinsed again and dried.

DSC_2694m by Lunitic, on Flickr

I learned a paintwork cleaner is recommended prior to application of a sealant so I went with Pinnacle, a reputable brand with lots of good feedback specific to this product. It's not abrasive and seemed to do a good job cleaning the surfaces of any residual contaminants following the prior rinse without leaving anything behind or leaving the surfaces with static. On its own the car looked really good following my buffing off the lotion.

DSC_2696m by Lunitic, on Flickr

Ahh, Blackfire Crystal Seal! This was more difficult to apply than I anticipated, primarily because I had trouble seeing whether I was actually applying anything to my silver car. The result is I ended up applying two or three sprays per section over the recommended one. This went on all painted surfaces, the piano-black B-pillars and roof trim, the black plastic standoffs for the rear-view mirrors, all matte chrome trim, and the rubber moulding around the windows. When I was finished, I took a step back and saw the result - a deep, gloss finish I had never seen with this car. Satiny, silky smooth.

DSC_2705m by Lunitic, on Flickr

I completed the day by applying Optimum Opti Bond to the tires, cleaning the glass with Adam's Glass Cleaner, and applying a coating of Adam's Glass Sealant. The Opti Bond product is new to me, and I found I really like it - it doesn't go on thick or greasy, rather it's just very clean. Some time this week I'll wash the C250 again and top with a coat of my current favorite wax, Collinite 476s.

The coatings!

DSC_2708m by Lunitic, on Flickr

If anyone has process or product suggestions regarding how I can improve I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz C250 Detail by Adanmtxt1

Awesome work and great pictures. What kind of lens are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. Nice work on the Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    What kind of lens are you using?
    +1. Would like to know as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! The first pictures were through a 24mm f/1.4, and the last two used a 50mm f1.4, all on a Nikon D800.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually have a question regarding the Crystal Seal coat. Occasionally I'll hang my arm out my window and rest my hand against the door - does this contact and light wear significantly degrade the integrity of the sealant, warranting regular reapplication?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job buddy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As I haven't done anything with her since my November post above, I took advantage of the nice weather here in Chicago to begin some light work. Below is after a wash, Auto Finesse Iron Out, and claying the exterior panels. Tomorrow will be claying door sills / interior rocker panels, trunk and door jambs, and application of Black Fire Crystal Seal and Collinite 476s. And Optimum tire dressing to tires and rubber trim.

I'm exceptionally disappointed to find a few small chips in the paint across the hood and front bumper, though they're small and everything else looks really good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection underneath the Crystal Seal for a little more durability. Apply BFWD by machine or by hand. Do the whole car and let it sit at least 30 minutes after you finish, then remove in the order you applied. Wait 12 hours and apply CS. Wait 3 hours and apply another coat of CS. You should be able to get 4-6 months from this combo depending on conditions. Finish each wash with BF Polymer Spray too to add back the polymers too.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work on that benz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast