autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Premier Auto Detailing by Evan: Helping a Forum Member

I was contacted by a fellow member a few months ago about getting his Black Honda Civic all cleaned up and ready to go. He brought the car to me and I began my work. On my test spot I found the paint to be very hard for a honda and ended up going with my trusty Rupes and the Megs MF cutting pad with a mix of M100 and D300. I then polished the paint with HD Polish and a Bns Polishing pad. I sealed the paint with Blackfire Wet Diamond.

On the hood after claying it was discovered that the hood was suffering from crows feet or clear coat failure so I applied the same method on the hood as I did for the rest of the car and it worked out well

Here are some before shots of the paint and the condition:

On to the afters:

Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premier Auto Detailing by Evan: Helping a Forum Member

Great improvement! Those looked like some pretty heavy defects.

I have never used HD Polish, so I am unaware of it's cutting/finishing abilities, nor have I used BnS pads, but from the after photos it is evident that there is still quite a bit of marring. Don't get me wrong - the car looks FANTASTIC, and to be honest, that micro-marring may not even be noticeable in the sunlight (sometimes the Brinkmann is less forgiving than the sun).

I was just curious - does the HD Polish need to be worked for an extended period of time to provide a more perfect finish? Or, perhaps a more aggressive polish and/or pad was needed to remove the haze from the heavy cutting? Just some thoughts.

Here is what I am referring to:

^Notice the trails of light coming from both the light and camera flash. You can also the very light defects left from the heavy cutting process.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    HD Polish has a very long work time and the finish you get can be set to near anything you need by your pad. If you are on a soft clear system you can use a blue or black pad and finish perfectly.. on hard clears I will often even use an orange foam pad to finish and always get great results.

Let me know if you have any other questions I have used polish from its release on an almost daily basis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Great improvement! Those looked like some pretty heavy defects.

I have never used HD Polish, so I am unaware of it's cutting/finishing abilities, nor have I used BnS pads, but from the after photos it is evident that there is still quite a bit of marring. Don't get me wrong - the car looks FANTASTIC, and to be honest, that micro-marring may not even be noticeable in the sunlight (sometimes the Brinkmann is less forgiving than the sun).

I was just curious - does the HD Polish need to be worked for an extended period of time to provide a more perfect finish? Or, perhaps a more aggressive polish and/or pad was needed to remove the haze from the heavy cutting? Just some thoughts.

Here is what I am referring to:

^Notice the trails of light coming from both the light and camera flash. You can also the very light defects left from the heavy cutting process.

I was curious about that myself. Looks good though! Be sure you tell him his Honda symbol is missing off the front grill.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    HD Polish has a very long work time and the finish you get can be set to near anything you need by your pad. If you are on a soft clear system you can use a blue or black pad and finish perfectly.. on hard clears I will often even use an orange foam pad to finish and always get great results.

Let me know if you have any other questions I have used polish from its release on an almost daily basis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    So you're stating that he would have achieved better results with a slightly more aggressive pad?

That is what I would have recommended as well, but I just have no experience with that product. From what I have read, HD polish finishes down excellently (so I have always thought of it somewhat like a medium polish with excellent finishing capabilities, somewhat like Sonax Perfect Finish)... I enjoy using SPF with an orange light cutting pad, and get fantastic results with that combo - even on some softer paints.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    So you're stating that he would have achieved better results with a slightly more aggressive pad?

That is what I would have recommended as well, but I just have no experience with that product. From what I have read, HD polish finishes down excellently (so I have always thought of it somewhat like a medium polish with excellent finishing capabilities, somewhat like Sonax Perfect Finish)... I enjoy using SPF with an orange light cutting pad, and get fantastic results with that combo - even on some softer paints.
    Hd polish is SMAT
    sonax pf is dat
    Cant really compare the 2 as far as cut and finishing down, 2 different beasts both great in their own way

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MajinAl View Post
    Hd polish is SMAT
    sonax pf is dat
    Cant really compare the 2 as far as cut and finishing down, 2 different beasts both great in their own way

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online
    Good to know... I knew SPF was DAT, but as already stated... I know nothing much of the HD product lineup.

So that means working the HD polish longer would not have yielded a better results for Evan, and that simply using a more aggressive pad should have (theoretically) done the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Zach the photo you at referring to was after compounds so some light hazing from the cutting pad. Should have noted that. The HD polished finished down great and left no hazing.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Nice improvement! For a 2 step tho I would have aimed for less marring, but it's still a good difference!

Edit: my bad lol just read the post! Nice to know that was after compounding and not after polishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Zach the photo you at referring to was after compounds so some light hazing from the cutting pad. Should have noted that. The HD polished finished down great and left no hazing.
    Well that clears things up! (no pun intended! haha)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast