autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro's Denim orange peel removal pad TESTED....WOW!!!!

Great write up!!!

I used some of these on a backbreaking correction job a few weeks ago. I actually ordered them special just to complete the job in a timely manner (still took 50+ hours). The owner had machine damp sanded with 1500 grit ALL OVER his freshly painted 60 something Jag... then left it to sit, cure and harden for a year. I had the pleasure of removing 1500 grit sanding marks and DEEP pig tails on the hardest paint I have ever worked on.

Wet sanding was taking forever and I significantly underbid the job because I didn't notice the pigtails in my initial inspection. Ordered these denim pads along with the velvet and proceeded to DEMOLISH the pig tails and sanding marks the following weekend.

The best thing about these pads is you can remove HEAVY orange peel, sanding marks, and other extreme defects while leaving and almost LSP ready surface. Seriously one of the best products invented. I know they are meant for a rotary but they work tremendously well with a DA too. Bravo CarPro!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    You might remove a little more clear, but the risk of screwing up while sanding vs. a pad like this sort of justifies that imo. If i ever was to wet sand on paint, id definitely use this over traditional wet sanding. but thats just me.
    i completely agree lol, i've spot sanded a few scratches, but to do a whole car, i feel uneasy

Mike Phillips

First SUPER WRITE-UP Brian!

Very impressive results and excellent photography.

I've been waiting for just the right car/truck to test these pads out and I think I have it out in the garage today. The hood has been repainted and it has a lot more peel than the surrounding body panels.

I was going to machine sand it but after reading your review and seeing the results plus I watched Todd Helme when he used these pads for his write up, I'm now inspired to give them a test.

First things first and that is I need to go out and get some really good pictures showing the level of orange peel in the hood. The entire hood is one big curve so that should prove to be a good challenge to not only photograph but also to test out the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post

Now here is my question,

I wonder what the paint measurements would be from doing this for a before and after?

I have the Defelsko PTG which is a very accurate and high quality PTG, not a knock off. I'll calibrate it before I start and then take measurements for my write-up.

Found out from the owner the painter sprayed 2 coats of clear and the painter said I could start sanding at #1500 grit so the painter must be confident there's plenty of clear on the hood.

Very cool Brian, thank you for not only sharing this info but for such a really well written presentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback fellas, glad you all enjoyed the post!

Brian
    www.SpeedFreakDetailing.com - Md/Va/Dc
    www.Facebook.com/speedfreakdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for sharing SpeedFreak ! Great thread in there fella .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    First SUPER WRITE-UP Brian!

Very impressive results and excellent photography.

I've been waiting for just the right car/truck to test these pads out and I think I have it out in the garage today. The hood has been repainted and it has a lot more peel than the surrounding body panels.

I was going to machine sand it but after reading your review and seeing the results plus I watched Todd Helme when he used these pads for his write up, I'm now inspired to give them a test.

First things first and that is I need to go out and get some really good pictures showing the level of orange peel in the hood. The entire hood is one big curve so that should prove to be a good challenge to not only photograph but also to test out the tools.

I have the Defelsko PTG which is a very accurate and high quality PTG, not a knock off. I'll calibrate it before I start and then take measurements for my write-up.

Found out from the owner the painter sprayed 2 coats of clear and the painter said I could start sanding at #1500 grit so the painter must be confident there's plenty of clear on the hood.

Very cool Brian, thank you for not only sharing this info but for such a really well written presentation.

During this test, would it be possible for you to also compare denim pads to damp sanding? I was thinking both how much clear is removed by each method, and how much time/effort/risk each method involved?

Thanks!!

BTW, my theory behind why I believe denim removes more clear than damp sanding with a Meguiar's Unigrit 1500 Sanding Disc is this:

The sanding discs ride along and flattens just the peaks of the orange peel, which means less material is removed overall.

The denim pads (and the 1500 grit finishing discs) follow the contours of the orange peel until it slowly flattens it out. Material is removed from the peaks, slopes, and valleys of the orange peel. Meguiar's actually states in their finishing disc description that they are intended to preserve the existing surface texture.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that has been my observation.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats some good stuff right here.
    My brand new Tacoma, is got a crap load of orange peel EVERYWHERE.
    But i dont have the guts to use the denim, just in case if i mess up, that would be bad lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichaley View Post
    During this test, would it be possible for you to also compare denim pads to damp sanding? I was thinking both how much clear is removed by each method, and how much time/effort/risk each method involved?

Thanks!!

And to just throw this out there as maybe a possibility what about testing the application acros the tools that most have like the Rupes, Flex, DA and rotary?

My thought is that while made for rotary as you can see the application on the Rupes is fantastic so knowing this group you can better that many different application will be done.

Just a thought!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    And to just throw this out there as maybe a possibility what about testing the application acros the tools that most have like the Rupes, Flex, DA and rotary?

My thought is that while made for rotary as you can see the application on the Rupes is fantastic so knowing this group you can better that many different application will be done.

Just a thought!
    I have actually had really good luck with them on DA polishers, including the FLEX 3401, PC 7424XP, GG3 and GG6.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichaley View Post
    I have actually had really good luck with them on DA polishers, including the FLEX 3401, PC 7424XP, GG3 and GG6.
    Good to know Eric thanks!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast