autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2007 Jeep Sahara Wrangler

This vehicle is for a co-worker and was supposed to be his pickup truck but instead he substituted his wife's Jeep for it. There were several chips in it as well as some big scratches. I filled them all first and tried leveling them with compound the best I could. I also used mf pads to finish the job.

Here it is as it arrived, during a rain storm. I waited and luckily got an hour reprieve from the rain to wash it.

The wash was my usual system. Wheels, barrels, wells done and bottom trim done first.

Wheel barrels got Tarminator.
    Wheel faces got Zep Citrus.
    Wheel wells were scrubbed with LATA.
    Tires were cleaned with Zep 505.
    Trim wash cleaned with LATA.

You can see how dark it is during the wash stage.

After the wheels, etc, the Jeep was foamed with a strong mix of DG 91 + Megs HW. It was then hand washed with DG 901 and rinsed followed by a wash with IronX paste and a grout sponge. It was brought inside wet where the wheels, wells and barrels were blown dry with the Master Blaster.

Now the true condition of what was in store was revealed:

As you can see, there was a TON of paint chips and scratches to be filled. That was why I was hoping I could buff them smooth without removing the paint so it didn't look terrible. Thankfully it worked.

Paint Correction:

Boy, I've been trying to make the mf pads work for me for correction, but they just don't have the bite that the TB wool does. I tried the Rupes with a vast array of mf pads and compounds, but nothing was working well for me. I ended up going with my Flex 3401 and the TB wool + M100 for the worst ones. The remaining panels got yellow B/S pad + M101. The finishing stage was a Megs cutting mf pad + M205. That was followed by DG Squeaky Clean via Flex + blue B/S pad. An ONR wipedown preceded the OG coating which was applied to the wheels and paint and side and rear glass. The rear wheel was removed for this detail. The windshield was coated with Opt Pro Glass coating. The trim was dressed with a beta DG trim dressing which is supposed to last a year! They live relatively close to me, so I'm hoping to see it periodically to check on the longevity of the dressing. It sure looks great once applied!

One thing. I used my rotary for a lot of the nasty little angles on this thing including the back tailgate and the fenders. (I was using 4" yellow B/S and white B/S). I removed the handle of the rotary to do it, and what a huge help that was. I actually kept it off for the next two jobs as I found it was easier to manipulate in the tight areas. I really wanted to pass this along!

The tires were shot via air gun with DG Wet Gloss tire shine then leveled. I had to deliver it to him at night as I had the next one outside and had very expensive wheels that I did not want to risk, nor did I want a customer's car outside at all for that matter. The shots almost didn't happen and I had to run after him to get him to pull it back in to snap a few off. Here's how it looked after 13 hours of work:

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2007 Jeep Sahara Wrangler

Great job, you made that color look really deep. Filling all those chips and scratches must have been a lot of work.
    I'm excited to see this Duragloss trim product. I've been picking up a bunch of their products lately and been impressed with all of them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What product do you use on the black top to protect it. My wife has a wrangler ang I never know what to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work on the paint correction. The trim looks really nice. Interested in the this trim product...

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    The trim was dressed with a beta DG trim dressing which is supposed to last a year!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shtexas View Post
    Great job, you made that color look really deep. Filling all those chips and scratches must have been a lot of work.
    I'm excited to see this Duragloss trim product. I've been picking up a bunch of their products lately and been impressed with all of them.
    Thank you, and yes it did. It will be a while until anything happens with the DG trim product. Right now I'm doing some testing on it and if it goes further, it will be a controlled group beta test. The problem is that to test the durability of it, a long time needs to transpire to see if it keeps working as long as expected. In the early, initial stage, I am very happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Axman View Post
    What product do you use on the black top to protect it. My wife has a wrangler ang I never know what to use.
    I didn't in this case b/c I was trying to keep the cost down. I would think either DLux or perhaps OG as well. I will PM you with another suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Great work on the paint correction. The trim looks really nice. Interested in the this trim product...
    Thanks. As I posted above, so far-so good with it. I think it has a lot of promise at this stage. It sure looks great. I've been experimenting with different ways to put it on. I think I nailed it on a Cherokee I did a week ago that I will post soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work as always. The reflection and gloss coming off the paint is incredible. The color of the jeep makes the paint look wet, with such a deep look, very impressive. Thanks again for posting and sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, as usual, Richy! I like your garage too!

Post Thanks / Like

You did an awesome job. Did you do anything to the hard top for protection? My gf has a jeep just like that and has a hard top that isn't painted just like that. It's a sort of rough dark grey material and I don't know what to protect it with.

Also, is the DG trim product kind of like DG 271 on steroids? 271 is one of my most favorite products from them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. No, I didn't do anything to the top due to time/budget constraints. To answer your question, I consulted with Corey (CEEDOG) the CarPro expert and the product you want for your top is DLux.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    You did an awesome job. Did you do anything to the hard top for protection? My gf has a jeep just like that and has a hard top that isn't painted just like that. It's a sort of rough dark grey material and I don't know what to protect it with.

Also, is the DG trim product kind of like DG 271 on steroids? 271 is one of my most favorite products from them!
    Killa, I missed the 2nd part there, sorry. It has more gloss than the flat black and bumper product and is supposed to last WAY longer. Its water repellency is awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast