autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll show you trashed.

Cant say I have seen paint in worse shape than this truck, even our semis and tractors are in better shape.

The owner is a farmer that lives in an area with few paved roads. He has a German Shephard that rides along in the bed. They run a custom harvest crew as well so the pickups get pretty beat up.

He actually brought it up for me to removed some "weight".

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699404372-jpg

Now with less "weight" he can enjoy more powet and better economy. The tuning I put in this one also includes an exhaust brake. In addition he will no longer have his intake looking like the picture below. Yes that is the fresh air side of things. That is the entrance to the "Y bridge which splits the air to both intake manifolds. This truck is only 4 years old, some passages before it were nearly plugged. Over time they get very full and the pieces of carbon that break off are very abrasive.

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699595391-jpg

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699613282-jpg

Anyways, since I have a little bit of time I am going to bring the toolbox back to a mirror shine and polish the paint as well.

Here is a picture of the teuck

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699736985-jpg

Heres a shot of the paint. Very bad shape. The dog definatley had its way with it.

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699885533-jpg

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699965835-jpg

50/50 of the paint after a pass with tufBuf wool on a Flex rotary with FG400. Very scratched up by his dog. A lot of the scratches are still there but hidden much better so im leaving it because I dont want to take too much off and know the dog is going to ruin it agaim within short time.

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372699981153-jpg

50/50 of tool box after Tripoli with Yellow air way, white rouge with spiral sewn wheel and max red with unsewn soft wheel.

I'll show you trashed.-uploadfromtaptalk1372700062183-jpg

I'll get some finished pictures later on. Thanks.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'll show you trashed.

Wow that is jacked up paint for such a new vehicle!

I thought you were going to post an old farm truck such as a 60's or 70's model! Really want to see your finished work on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I regret to inform you that I have run out of time to do the paint. Truck is leaving at 7am and Im working on the toolbox now. Had to fix one of the up-pipes which took plenty of time. Anyone whos been back there on an LMM would know.

Im not too worried thouvg, its a color that hides scratches and such. They do not have many paved roads and dont wash the truck often so the paint results would go unnoticed by many and look bad within a short amount of time. This toolbox however is shining nicely and will catch peoples eyes for quite awhile I think.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Farm vehicles can really get a hard beating. They are the modern day workhorse! Amazed at the intake!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I wont even post pictures of ours. Its honestly easier to keep the semis and tractors shined up and cleaned out than it is the pickups. The trucks just get rode hard and put up wet by so many different people throughout the day it makes it hard and not really worth the effort.

I was a little surprised how clogged up it was already, hes not the type of guy who goes easy on things, hes always got the pedal to the floor in anything he runs, figured it would've stayed nice and cleaned out.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Gee , wonder how was the pickup s one where I used to work at !

Post Thanks / Like
    Trucks like that really aren't worth pouring hours into unless the owner is wanting to sell it. You will throw days into it and a week later it will look exactly the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Trucks like that really aren't worth pouring hours into unless the owner is wanting to sell it. You will throw days into it and a week later it will look exactly the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Oh I know, thats why I never do our pickups. Just a never ending battle. Better off saving the clear until its time to sell. When a truck ends up in that kind of condition though many farmers just keep it and run it into the dirt.

The main reason I tried some areas on this one was more for the educational experience of "can it be done" and how.

I have to apologize again. I was in such a rush to get him on the road this morning so he could be back in time that I forgot to take a picture of the toolbox. Not a big loss though, I wasn't very impressed with it. I hit it with a fast cut airway and tripoli, then a spiral sewn wheel until it gave up part way through, then went to a soft flannel air way with white rouge. That was where I had to stop since he had to leave. Really wish I wouldve had an extra 1/2 hour to hit it with loose muslin and the max red. It looked shiney but to me it looked bad, very hazy which the max red really turns it into nearly chrome.

I also wish I wouldve started with a heavier cutting wheel and emery compound. Once I started on it I quickly realized how many deeper scratches there were.

I had nothing but bad luck all the way through that truck. The EGR/DPF delete kicked me the entire time, ive done a lot of them but for some reason this one wanted to be a pain.

While polishing with the spiral wheel it decided to ride up the buffer shaft causing it to become loose. The hole was too loose for me to get it tight and I couldnt fit any washers due to the wheel thickness. Then I had a brain fart. I went to grab the wheel rake with my hand for some reason to move it out from underneath where it was, had the machine still lockes on and running at this time. Well apparentlt in that little manuever it caught the cors at full speed, wrapped it tight and killed the buffer. It shattered one safety flange and cracked the other. Also bent the air way wheel I was usings center a little.

I did try the 9" grinder after watching many others use them. In my experience on this truck I found that it did a worse job than the dewalt. I read up on some technical stuff about metal finishing and I forgot what the technical name was but its the phenomenon that happens with aluminum when your SFM is much higher than it should be.

Again sorry for a thread that was all hype without delivering.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely like your idea of weight reduction i might have to borrow those choice words next time dpf bs pops up in a conversation! haha
    Nice 50/50 shot of the box!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,