autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chevy Truck Detail and new stuff...

This detail is of my personal truck. I got it a few months ago to drive to work, it's a 1992 Chevy with 160,000 miles. I work at a refinery and there can be some nasty stuff in the air, so today's goal was protection. The truck was repainted at some point and was pretty neglected.

New stuff: I was having a hard time convincing myself to spend $60 on a foam gun, since this is really only a hobby for me. I picked an Ortho sprayer and some hose quick connects from Home Depot. It worked pretty good.

I also hooked up my water softener today. I mounted it on the back of my hose reel to keep it out of the way. It was a definate improvement. I still had some spots, but they just wiped off when I dried the truck and the windows were much better.

Tried out my new MaxWax too!

Interior:
    1) Vacuum seats and carpet
    2) Clean floor mats with Simple Green and dress with Meg's Rubber and Vinyl
    3) Dress dash with Meg's Rubber and Vinyl

Exterior:
    1) Wheels and tires washed with Simple Green
    2) Wash with Meg's Gold Class Wash. Foam gun and rinse bucket.
    3) Dry with Absorber
    4) Clayed hood and roof with Meg's clay and QD
    5) OP with white CCS pad on hood and roof (the paint actually got whiter after the polish)
    6) OPS with gray CCS pad on whole truck
    7) OS on whole truck
    8) DP MaxWax on whole truck (overkill, I know)

Pictures:

New wash setup

Water Softener

Ortho Foam Gun in action. Hard to see on the white paint, but it works pretty well, I know it's no foam lance though.

The hood after wash, before clay and polish. Notice how flat the paint looks.

Finished truck

When I started I wasn't going to use the MaxWax, as I thought it was overkill to have 3 sealants, but I wanted to try it out on my truck before I put it on someone elses. I really like it. Buttery smooth and easy to buff off. It brought some depth on top of the OS. Hopefully the OPS, OS, MaxWax combo will keep it protected for a good long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice turnaround and great writeup!! Love the ortho sprayer/foamer. It's hard to get white looking good, but your combo worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Just curious, how does the truck run with 160K? I was thinking of getting a OBS Chevy or GMC with that kinda mileage for my first detailing truck. But wasnt sure if that mileage was too high, but the truck's with that kind of mileage is in my price range. BTW is that your Colorado in the background? Looks nice..
    Obsessed is a word that lazy people use for Dedicated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ021
    Looks good. Just curious, how does the truck run with 160K? I was thinking of getting a OBS Chevy or GMC with that kinda mileage for my first detailing truck. But wasnt sure if that mileage was too high, but the truck's with that kind of mileage is in my price range. BTW is that your Colorado in the background? Looks nice..
    The truck still runs great and doesn't burn any oil. It gets 15-16 mpg, but hey, it cost $3500 and it's paid for.

My wife is driving the Colorado. It's a great little truck, I like it a lot. I detailed it a couple weeks ago. Detailed: 2006 Black Chevy Colorado

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work! Yes, it's hard to make white look good and if you can ever find a tin of #16, I would give it a try! Worked great on a Jag I detailed not too long ago.

PS: thanks for posting some pics of your detailing supplies, more people need to start doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed your write up, very nice. I agree white is a difficult color to get to look good, the advantage is that it hides imperfections really well.

The foam gun looks good to me, nothing wrong with it as long as you feel it works for you that's all that matters.

Turck looks good, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    lookin' good.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    What a clean looking truck. You've got it looking good.
    You've got some neat ideas: Filter on the hose reel (I'm going to switch mine there. Same reel.); Quick connects for your hose and nozzles; your "Ortho" thing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. The walls on the hose reel are pretty thin. I used a piece of 1x6 on the inside to keep the screws from pulling out. The quick connects work great. I like the fireman type nozzle too, it moves lots of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    One clean chevy! Great write up.
    Awesome set up on the filter.