autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Camaro 1LE Corrected then Opti-Coated by Greg Gellas SignatureDetailing.com

I was contacted for Opti-Coat on this new Camaro 1LE. We discussed the job and decided a 1 step polishing and Opti-Coat application would be perfect for the car, as it only had 700 miles.

The 1LE is really a unique different car. A limited number of these cars will be produced.

"From its red Brembo® front and rear brakes to its lightweight wheels and unique performance suspension, the 1LE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE is a tough-looking, aggresive entry in a steady lineage of TRACK-DOMINATING RACING MACHINES....RPO code 1LE was first triggered 25 years ago, and originally intended to enhance the performance of IROC-Z in SCCA Showroom Stock road racing events. It included 11.65-inch rotors with 2-piston aluminum calipers, an aluminum driveshaft, a special baffled fuel tank, specific shock absorbers, and stiffer suspension bushings. The 1LE was a well-kept secret and very few were built."

To learn more about this Camaro 1LE just read the specs here.

I began with the wheels, cleaning them with sonax full effect, a full wash, then claying the entire car, and then a wonderful dry using my CG blower.

Some of the fenders had some rough scratches on the edges.

The passenger side door had quite a bit of swirling throughout. It appeared to have been hit due to a very slight optical change in the panel.

Some more damage on the trunk lid.

What are those...!?!

Although not confirmed, it would appear these areas were corrected by a PDR tech and either wet sanded or "buffed" out to level the area. After seeing this damage I decided to contact the owner, show him some pictures, and let him decide if he wanted it corrected or continue with a 1 step polishing. Without hesitation the the owner saw some pictures I forwarded and decided to go for full correction. This would add a bit of time to the job at hand, plus there was quite a bit of rain, so luckily he offered to pick up the car 1 day later. It was awesome that I had more time on the car, but I also had another car coming in. I knew I would be working late on this baby. The results were well worth it! Instead of dressing the tires, as it would rinse right off, I applied Opti-Glass to the windshield instead.

Here is a 50/50 of the trunk area. I think the correction rate was pretty good for a 2 step correction.

The 50/50 on the door was awesome and it corrected out really well.

Here you can see the larger damage to the paint. This was probably from a rub on the door from another car. I heavily compounded this area and decided this wasn't worth chasing. I would rather err on the side of safe rather than break through the clear. I had taken a good amount of clear off already. While improved it was not totally removed.

I corrected and then polished the entire car. I washed the entire car again with 50% dawn and 50% Citrus wash and clear to remove any dust and polishing oils leftover. I then followed up with an IPA wipe down to ensure I was down to bare paint to ensure Opti-Coat is properly applied. All of the trim, and paint was cover in Opti-Coat Pro.

The after pictures show the results of quite a few hours of correction and polishing!

As always, thanks for looking Greg Gellas!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Camaro 1LE Corrected then Opti-Coated by Greg Gellas SignatureDetailing.com

Sick detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Camaro 1LE Corrected then Opti-Coated by Greg Gellas SignatureDetailing.com

So sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I love the contrast of my black stripes against the silver but when I see these awesome details on black cars it makes me wish I chose my color differently. Nice work!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on that great Camaro mate !

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. I wish I had this thread at my fingertips when some of the clueless people say stuff like, "Well it's a 2010 so it's in great shape, how bad can it be with only 20,000 miles on it."

That looks really nice and great 75/25 photo!!

Just 700 miles and that was pretty well marred up. All it takes is one clown with the wrong tools and a 2014 with 25 miles can look pretty bad right?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Greg.