autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Guy Wanting Feedback!

Well I'm new here and I just wanted to post a picture of my truck I recently detailed and wanted feedback on what y'all think

It's a 2013 F150 Fx4 Sterling Grey Metallic

Paint is in excellent condition so I washed using the two bucket method then proceeded with theses steps

I first clayed with the Meguiar's Clay kit
    Next I used Griot's Garage One Step Sealant
    Last I topped it with Collinite #845

I haven't tackled the engine compartment yet that is on my agenda for sometime next week.
    I'm also looking for a good product that I can use on my plastics around my mirrors and bed caps, I tried Mothers Back To Black but after the first rain it started streaking and it looked horrible!

As for the interior it's all leather. Since I got it I been using the Lexol Cleaner followed by the Lexol Conditioner. Again maybe a little feedback on what y'all think of these products as well.

The truck is my daily driver/work truck and being it's used in the oilfield it get's used and abused and I don't always have the time to take care of it like I want.

Also thanks to everybody on this forum and at AutoGeek if it wasn't for y'all I would be washing this thing at a Drive Thru with those Damaging Brushes every week lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Guy Wanting Feedback!-img_3673-jpg   New Guy Wanting Feedback!-img_3678-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Truck looks pretty nice. Since it's new, you likely don't need a restoration product like Back To Black. That stuff is primarily for faded old plastic. You could use a good dressing protectant like Prima Infinity. That product is polymer based and beads water like a wax on your paint does. You will have to re-apply it every so often. Other quality choices are OptiBond and CarPro PERL .
    But if was me, I would look into CarPro Delux or Ultimate Trim and Tire Guard. They will protect those surfaces from UV so they stay new looking and will last much longer. The former may last up to a year or so, the later months.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Guy Wanting Feedback!

+1 on CarPro Delux or Ultimate Trim and Tire Guard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys I think I will go ahead and order some Ultima Tire & Trim

Are you guys sure this stuff won't streak down my paint after the first rain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 22kanehoff View Post
    Thanks Guys I think I will go ahead and order some Ultima Tire & Trim

Are you guys sure this stuff won't streak down my paint after the first rain?
    Some trim protectant products work well on some trim and not on others. It's hit or miss based on everything I have read.

I acquired Solution Finish Restorer when it was on BOGO late last year; and applied it to every piece of plastic trim on my 2010 GMC Acadia. Prior to SFR, I tried Mothers and Meguiars trim products and the results were either extremely low durability to no durability. With SFR, I am going on 3 weeks and frankly I am astonished at how well it is holding up. This is a daily driver and aside from pollen and some dirt, the trim is still better than when I acquired the vehicle. I started applying SFR on my Volkswagen and the WOW factor is there as well. I hate when I see black trim looking faded and/or oxidized.

Lastly, as far as usage, maybe I used a third of an ounce for both vehicles thus far!!! Another WOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Some trim protectant products work well on some trim and not on others. It's hit or miss based on everything I have read.

I acquired Solution Finish Restorer when it was on BOGO late last year; and applied it to every piece of plastic trim on my 2010 GMC Acadia. Prior to SFR, I tried Mothers and Meguiars trim products and the results were either extremely low durability to no durability. With SFR, I am going on 3 weeks and frankly I am astonished at how well it is holding up. This is a daily driver and aside from pollen and some dirt, the trim is still better than when I acquired the vehicle. I started applying SFR on my Volkswagen and the WOW factor is there as well. I hate when I see black trim looking faded and/or oxidized.

Lastly, as far as usage, maybe I used a third of an ounce for both vehicles thus far!!! Another WOW!!!

Is SFR something I should use on New plastics though?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm new here and I just wanted to post a picture of my truck I recently detailed and wanted feedback on what y'all think

It's a 2013 F150 Fx4 Sterling Grey Metallic

Paint is in excellent condition so I washed using the two bucket method then proceeded with theses steps

I first clayed with the Meguiar's Clay kit
    Next I used Griot's Garage One Step Sealant
    Last I topped it with Collinite #845

I haven't tackled the engine compartment yet that is on my agenda for sometime next week. I'm also looking for a good product that I can use on my plastics around my mirrors and bed caps, I tried Mothers Back To Black but after the first rain it started streaking and it looked horrible!

As for the interior it's all leather. Since I got it I been using the Lexol Cleaner followed by the Lexol Conditioner. Again maybe a little feedback on what y'all think of these products as well.

The truck is my daily driver/work truck and being it's used in the oilfield it get's used and abused and I don't always have the time to take care of it like I want.

Also thanks to everybody on this forum and at AutoGeek if it wasn't for y'all I would be washing this thing at a Drive Thru with those Damaging Brushes every week lol
    I like Lexol products, and used the 1-step cleaner and Leather cleaner and conditioner products. I have zero complaints with them. Lexol beat out PERL @ 3:1 on my VW in terms of durability, so I keep PERL for my tires. I'll increase the ratio of PERL eventually but as I implied earlier I see no reason to use Lexol until the bottles are empty.

As to your process and the results, looks really nice!!!! I'd be interested to know how much durability you get out of the Griots/845 combination. I am somewhat curious with the Griot's sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is SFR something I should use on New plastics though?
    In my experience, SF works well at restoring faded plastics, but isn't great on plastics that already look fairly new. It doesn't add much that lasts long on newer plastics. The "dressed" look doesn't last, but the "dyed black" look does.