autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2000 Chevy Impala

I plan on doing my first paint correction soon. I will mostly be following the guidelines I found in Junkman's
    "How to for novice thread"

The paint on this car has not been well taken care of. The main reason I am doing this is to develop my process and practice my technique. Once I am done I plan on posting some before and after shots to get some feedback.

Before I get started I am hoping the forum can help me understand what has happened to the spoiler. It appears to me all the clear coat is gone and the paint underneath is dried and cracked. Here is some footage I took.

Spoiler Footage

Can anyone tell me what happened here? Should I just avoid the spoiler when polishing and waxing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2000 Chevy Impala

Quote Originally Posted by supp0007 View Post
    I plan on doing my first paint correction soon. I will mostly be following the guidelines I found in Junkman's

The paint on this car has not been well taken care of. The main reason I am doing this is to develop my process and practice my technique. Once I am done I plan on posting some before and after shots to get some feedback.

Before I get started I am hoping the forum can help me understand what has happened to the spoiler. It appears to me all the clear coat is gone and the paint underneath is dried and cracked. Here is some footage I took.

Spoiler Footage

Can anyone tell me what happened here? Should I just avoid the spoiler when polishing and waxing?
    Your conclusion was correct. No clear and heavy oxidation on the base coat underneath. Unfortunately a repaint would be needed.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Your conclusion was correct. No clear and heavy oxidation on the base coat underneath. Unfortunately a repaint would be needed.
    +1.

Too bad it's not SS.

Hey Bill...have you figured out the products used?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    +1.

Too bad it's not SS.

Hey Bill...have you figured out the products used?
    Optimum Poli-seal!?!?!?
    Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! Would it make sense to apply a paint sealant to the damaged area to prevent further deterioration?

Post Thanks / Like

The paint on this car has not been well taken care of. 1.The main reason I am doing this is to develop my process and practice my technique. Once I am done I plan on posting some before and after shots to get some feedback.

Before I get started I am hoping the forum can help me understand what has happened to the spoiler. 2.It appears to me all the clear coat is gone and the paint underneath is dried and cracked. Here is some footage I took.

Spoiler Footage

Can anyone tell me what happened here? 3.Should I just avoid the spoiler when polishing and waxing?
    5. ...Would it make sense to apply a paint sealant to the damaged area to prevent further deterioration?
    After reviewing the talking points, it seems to me that a simple repaint of the spoiler is required. Save up a few bucks and get 'er done. In the meantime, have you thought about a rattle-can solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Optimum Poli-seal!?!?!?
    Yep. Topped with OCW. Later maint wash, 845 was added.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!