autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not my typical type of vehicle... but hey, I'll polish whatever you want! 2008 Cobalt SS - Paint Correction

The owner of this 2008 Cobalt SS contacted me through the forum and wanted to get his car cleaned up. The car was in overall great shape, but it had the typical light swirls and some heavier scratches from being a daily driven vehicle. A one-step correction was chosen as the best approach to remove the swirls and restore the clarity of the paint. Many of the heavier scratches remained, however it is just not necessary to worry much about these deeper defects on a daily driver... it is important to keep as much clear coat in tact as possible!

Process
    Wheels: CG Diablo Gel (4:1) (various brushes used)
    Tires: Meg's D103 (10:1) w/ tuf shine tire brush
    Wash: CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (diluted to strip remaining waxes)
    Dry: Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels
    Clay: DI Medium Grade Clay w/ ONR as lube
    Polish: Meguiar's M205 w/ LC Orange 5.5" Pad via Rupes LHR21ES and PC7424XP for 3" work
    Glaze: CG EZ Creme Glaze
    Protection: Menzerna Color Lock Wax
    Final Wipe Down: CG V7
    Tire Dressing: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Before

The car had a fair amount of small, deeper scratches. Many of them were removed, however several remained. There were also a light swirls on the majority of the panels which caused the red to look somewhat faded.

During

I began with my test spot on the trunk. First I started with M205 & White Pad. This combo left the majority of the deeper scratches, so I switched to an orange pad - it worked very well.

You can clearly see the difference in color between the unpolished section and the polished section. Removing the swirls brought back the deep, rich red color that you should be seeing.

Here is the hood after polishing. Nice, clear reflections.

Here is the fender before correction. Notice the haze from the swirls in the reflections of the lights.

Here is the fender after correction. Clear, sharp reflections.

Another look at the fender.

After polishing was completed, I pulled the car into the sun to examine the paint. Although I check my work with both halogen lights and my xenon swirl finder, nothing gives you a better idea of the condition of the paint than the bright sunlight.

Next, the entire car was glazed... this leaves the surface incredibly slick, which greatly enhances the gloss. After glazing, the car was then coated with a layer of wax.

Removing the wax, shows a deep, rich red color. Looks great.

Exhaust tip before polishing.

And after polishing.

After

Checking reflections in the sunlight. No swirls, but some scratches remain.

The car looked deep, wet, and glossy when finished!

Custom powder coated wheels had a metallic blue flake to them. A very unique look. Notice the nice Brembo calipers, too.

Clean the grill area.

Clean rims, clean tires, and shiny paint. Always nice!

The sun decided to come back out. The red really came alive in the sunlight!

Not too bad, huh? Really vived, deep reflections.

As always, thanks for looking! Questions and/or Comments are always welcome!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not my typical type of vehicle... but hey, I'll polish whatever you want! 2008 Cobalt SS - Paint Correction

Looks great. The orange pad with M205 does some nice correction work, good call. Not a fan of glazes but really great work. Red is a nice color to work with. Thanks for posting.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not my typical type of vehicle... but hey, I'll polish whatever you want! 2008 Cobalt SS - Paint Correction

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Looks great. The orange pad with M205 does some nice correction work, good call. Not a fan of glazes but really great work. Red is a nice color to work with. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks... Why aren't you a fan of glazes? Have you ever used EZ Creme Glaze? I don't use glaze as a filler product, obviously I am correcting paint first, but EZ Creme glaze is a great protection and gloss enhancer. I would recommend it to anyone.

Retired Professional Detailer

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work as usual bud. Orange pad plus M205 is a great combo. I love glaze as well, I might have to try that brand. Thanks for sharing.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great as always
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, really looks amazing in the sun.
    50/50 photos show how bad is was.

Post Thanks / Like

nice reflection, what method and material did you use to polish the exhaust tip?

Post Thanks / Like

looks great. customer should have been very happy with it!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that red just pop at you like crazy. I think I'm going to buy me a red car next.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Not my typical type of vehicle... but hey, I'll polish whatever you want! 2008 Cobalt SS - Paint Correction

Nice job! Car may not be typical, but the money is still green.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast