autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Belated Christmas Present - Paint Correction & 22ple Application on my Dad's Acura TSX

I promised my dad a full correction detail and coating application as a Christmas gift last year, and have been waiting for Spring to show up so that I could deliver on that promise. Luckily, it looks like Spring has finally arrived. I brought home all of my detailing supplies to complete the job over this Easter weekend (since my fiance was busy with wedding planning, the timing worked out very nicely).

The car was in overall decent shape, as he takes very good care of it. It is washed regularly, waxed at least a couple times each year, and clay barred every now and again. Until now, it has only been washed with the dreaded 1 bucket method (for wheels and paint! ) and dried with old bath towels, however with the promise of a paint correction - I asked for a promise to adopt the 2 bucket method and to either 1) blow the car dry or 2) gently dry it with waffle weave microfiber. He agreed, so I purchased some grit guards, waffle weave towels, and a sheepskin mitt for him to have for future maintenance.

The paint had light to moderate swirls, and the occasional RIDS, but compared to the horror stories I have seen lately - this paint was a pleasant sight. I had heard that this Milano Red - was in fact a tinted clear coat system and was also very soft. I had seen this same car in some of Rasky's videos, so I reached out to him for any pointers before I started on this car. He confirmed that his paint is in fact very soft, and he noticed that his was quite thin as well, so I should proceed with caution (of course). I did my test spot using M205 + Black 5.5" finishing pad with the Rupes LHR21ES. This took out all of the swirls and reduced the light to moderate RIDS - I was blown away at the amount of correction I was getting from what can almost always be considered a final finishing type of combo. In fact, I was even noticing some haze if I did not finish with a few passes with very very light pressure and a slower speed on the machine. Pretty finicky paint to say the least.

Process
    Wash & Dry - Car was washed and dried before I arrived... it's last 1 bucket wash ever (hopefully)
    Clay - DI fine grade clay was used to spot clay, as the majority of the car was in fantastic shape (in terms of bonded contaminates)
    Polish: M205 + Black 5.5" Finishing Pad (with Rupes LHR21ES)
    Protection: 22ple VX1 Pro Coating
    Tires: Meg's Endurance Gel
    Exhaust: CG Metal Polish + Protection

Before

Swirls were easily noticeable in the bright sun.

During

I began polishing on the trunk... here is the trunk beforehand.

... and now after polishing

I then made my way to the roof (no pics) and the hood... here is the hood after polishing.

Taking advantage of some sunshine, I pulled the car out to check my work, as I find that examining in as many different types of light as you can is always useful... the hood looks much better.

Next, I began working on the passenger side of the vehicle. Here is the front passenger door before correction.

... and after correction.

I then looked up and was distracted by my car in the driveway... what a pretty sight.

Here is the driver's door before correction...

and after...

Driver's side rear quarter/c-pillar area before correction (notice some of the heavier scratches)...

After correction: even the straight line scratches were removed with this very mild M205+black pad combo.

Like I said, this car has a tinted CC... here is some red residue on my "cleaning on the fly" towel.

I then moved on to address some of the other details such as the exhaust tips. Here they are before... don't look bad, just a bit dull.

They shined up quickly and easily.

Polishing was complete... getting ready to apply 22ple (it had started drizzling, but was still in the 60's!)

Clarity resored and the hood is looking deep and wet.

My brother and dad decided to join me in the garage all day to enjoy the nice weather. I talked my brother into claying and sealing his car... here he is working away. He really enjoyed the difference the clay was making.

My dad took advantage of my stock pile of supplies that I brought home and decided to begin de-winterizing his pride and joy (2009 Victory Jackpot) by polishing the metal... here he is sealing the wheels with my PBW wheel sealant.

After

22ple was applied to the painted surfaces and left to cure over night. I pulled the car out Easter morning to snap some pics and inspect my work. I was happy with the new look. The red is noticeably deeper and richer looking. The paint is glossy and wet looking. Not a bad way to spend an Easter weekend.

*Note: the front end has an old, faded clear film on it that was unable to be restored with polishing, so that is why the front bumper and 1/3 of the hood may appear dull or discolored

Comments, questions, concerns, etc are always greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Belated Christmas Present - Paint Correction & 22ple Application on my Dad's Acura TSX

Very nice! The red looks very wet now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Belated Christmas Present - Paint Correction & 22ple Application on my Dad's Acura TSX

WOW, I'll bet ole Dad's smiling from ear to ear! What a gorgeous difference in the before and after and that wet glossy shine is magnificent!

When you began I noticed you taped off a section on the hood, was that to protect the clear bra?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that TSX looks awesome! Great work, I'm sure sure your Dad appreciated it.
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like
    You went in buddy. That's an awesome way to spend the weekend. I'll be taking care of my dad's vehicle in a few weeks here. Can't wait to see his reaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow nice work you did! And nice car to begin with! The red looks fantastic.

BTW did you use your CM paint gauge on it?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job! Proud dad I am sure!
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Mike Phillips

Looks amazing! Like it was just painted!

Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great! 205 does some amazing work depending on the paint type.
    Matt Ferguson
    Needed Touch Detailing
    Making the city shine, one car at a time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast