autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 Ford F-150 Supercrew Tuxedo Black

WOW...nice work! I just ordered some Blackfire TPS, now I'm really anxious to try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you did a phenomenal job on that truck. Pricing seems to be a difficult thing for some people; in fact, I think the intimidation factor seems to throw people off when giving an estimate.

In my opinion, $120 was way too low. But don't let that get you down, pricing is a huge learning experience. I've taken some painful losses by misquoting or underquoting a particular job, but all you can do is learn from it. I would have charged anywhere from $350-$400 on a vehicle that size to do the work you did. I see where you were doing work for someone you knew...in that case I would have been right around $250, if that was me.

All in all, you did some GREAT work here!! I'm sure your co-worker was thrilled and will be spreading the word around for you. Excellent job!
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

You did a great job turning that F150 around. It's not about the money. I help others all the time. What goes around comes around. Nice to have friends especially those with trucks, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I charge between 200 to 225 for a vehicle of that size.. ( what people are willing to pay in my area ) Plus 20 bucks if the Interior is trashed.

for a close friend $175 ( but always tell them to say they paid my regular price) Don't let it get around that you discount certain people

Looks great though. You did a great turnaround

What did you use on the engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on a nice truck.

Mine was SUPPOSED to be tuxedo black (da** tsunami)!

In my pre-AG days, I did a wash and wax on a friend's Silverado and his Tahoe for $75 each, no interior work. We were both happy, but I don't do it for a living. Because he's a good friend, I'd do it again. You didn't make much per hour, but you didn't lose any on materials either. So if your friend is happy, and you're happy, that's all that matters. Just tell him not to mention price if sends referrals, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimB204 View Post
    Great job!

IMO, that is way too much work for $120, I would have been around $400 for all of that work. It's for a friend though and I'm sure you learned a lot so I wouldn't say it was a horrible deal overall. I'm sure he was thrilled when he saw the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by david11g35 View Post
    Great Job. My first paid job was for $80 spent 9hrs on a Chevy Impala. Now I have more knowledge and know what goes into a job I charge accordingly. If this was for a friend I wouldnt charge less $175-$200. Great job though you friend got a bargain
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post
    Beautiful results, everything looks great!
    A bargin at double your price for that much work, that's what friends are for, even putting the emblem on the tailgate.

Why were you taking a photo of yourself in a mirror?? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by donb View Post
    Nice turnaround. Engine compartment looks great too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Guy View Post
    Beautiful and amazing results you achived on the ford 150. You took a piece of trashed out truck and turned it into a brand new ride, and that's what it is all about. Definitely would have charged a little more even though it was a friend. How long did it take you?

Chris aka Italian Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades02 View Post
    Great job. You really brought that thing back from the dead. What did you use to dress the engine bay? I may have missed it and apologize if I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynex View Post
    Wow nice work. remember its better to have extra cash even if its small amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    That truck looks amazing! Kudos to a job well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron400 View Post
    WOW...nice work! I just ordered some Blackfire TPS, now I'm really anxious to try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    Hey, you did a phenomenal job on that truck. Pricing seems to be a difficult thing for some people; in fact, I think the intimidation factor seems to throw people off when giving an estimate.

In my opinion, $120 was way too low. But don't let that get you down, pricing is a huge learning experience. I've taken some painful losses by misquoting or underquoting a particular job, but all you can do is learn from it. I would have charged anywhere from $350-$400 on a vehicle that size to do the work you did. I see where you were doing work for someone you knew...in that case I would have been right around $250, if that was me.

All in all, you did some GREAT work here!! I'm sure your co-worker was thrilled and will be spreading the word around for you. Excellent job!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    You did a great job turning that F150 around. It's not about the money. I help others all the time. What goes around comes around. Nice to have friends especially those with trucks, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    I charge between 200 to 225 for a vehicle of that size.. ( what people are willing to pay in my area ) Plus 20 bucks if the Interior is trashed.

for a close friend $175 ( but always tell them to say they paid my regular price) Don't let it get around that you discount certain people

Looks great though. You did a great turnaround

What did you use on the engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Great job on a nice truck.

Mine was SUPPOSED to be tuxedo black (da** tsunami)!

In my pre-AG days, I did a wash and wax on a friend's Silverado and his Tahoe for $75 each, no interior work. We were both happy, but I don't do it for a living. Because he's a good friend, I'd do it again. You didn't make much per hour, but you didn't lose any on materials either. So if your friend is happy, and you're happy, that's all that matters. Just tell him not to mention price if sends referrals, lol.
    First, I'd like to thank all of you for the positive responses. It means a grip coming from the veterans here. I'm a humble person so at times, I seem to be a little hard on myself. I'm just glad I actually did something right here especially working on Black paint for the first time with any machine.

I didn't want to throw an outrageous price that may scare away a potential customer. I too feel like life isn't always about the money. Eventually, I will learn more from the experiences and know my worth. To some, being a generous person has it's cons I guess. I need to pick up Renny Doyle's book and get to reading!

The entire detail took me about 36 hours. I took breaks to eat. If it wasn't for the emblem in the back, I could've maybe got away with 30 hours. Just trying to be very thorough so as not to miss anything. I don't know how most detailers have a gleaming beauty in less hours but I will try to get there at some point in life.

The "mirror" pic was me being a poser...lol. I have no beef with the Blackfire Total Polish & Seal. It even smells great with the blueberry scent. Really nice AIO. I wish I would've took a photo of the pads to show how dirty they got for each section pass. The passes were worked on speed 5 until the product was almost invisible. I bought it because of BobbyG's review and it was on VIP sale. Thanks Bobby!

The Blackfire interior protectant was used for dressing and it gave it a nice gloss on the parts it worked on. Not too over the top. As I mentioned before, it didn't work too well on the cupholders and the rubber "flaps" in front of the truck even after 3 coatings. I will be on a quest for a better dressing.

I have yet to see or hear the reaction of the owner. I dropped the car off to his home and left it after I was done. He has yet to contact me with a text or phone call. I hope it's for the best. He's a very blunt person so he'll let me know if it's not up to his standards.

Let's just hope he doesn't end up telling his buddies with trucks the price I gave him...

Keep shining on friends, I love this art!
    - Jake

Post Thanks / Like

JSou 36 hours is too long for just about anything unless it's something very high end. It took you this long because it was your first black paint correction job and you took your time. It's just paint, you will be able to cut that down next time to about 8-10 hours. Thats why many said they would charge $300-400 for that job. If you are planning on doing it for profit you will need to speed things up.

As for your concern about him talking about the low price just say it was a one time special detail for your portfolio.

Thats a daily driver and it was trashed. Odds are it will go back to that life again. Wash, clay, AIO buff clean interior and move on. Engine bays are an upsell. You did a geat job and now you know you can do it. Manage your delivery to the customer ie: daily driver just wants it cleaned and waxed so don't go way overboard. I always believe in doing something a little bit special but 36 hours is overboard.

You did a great job be proud of it.

Post Thanks / Like

$120 bucks, 36 hours of learning, and a great job! I disagree with most on here as I've done similar work for free, so I'd think you got the better deal of it!

As rmagnus says, I think you will be able to cut your time in half next time around
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    JSou 36 hours is too long for just about anything unless it's something very high end. It took you this long because it was your first black paint correction job and you took your time. It's just paint, you will be able to cut that down next time to about 8-10 hours. Thats why many said they would charge $300-400 for that job. If you are planning on doing it for profit you will need to speed things up.

As for your concern about him talking about the low price just say it was a one time special detail for your portfolio.

Thats a daily driver and it was trashed. Odds are it will go back to that life again. Wash, clay, AIO buff clean interior and move on. Engine bays are an upsell. You did a geat job and now you know you can do it. Manage your delivery to the customer ie: daily driver just wants it cleaned and waxed so don't go way overboard. I always believe in doing something a little bit special but 36 hours is overboard.

You did a great job be proud of it.
    Thank you sir. I will keep that in mind. I have a detail scheduled tomorrow and will see what I need work on.

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    $120 bucks, 36 hours of learning, and a great job! I disagree with most on here as I've done similar work for free, so I'd think you got the better deal of it!

As rmagnus says, I think you will be able to cut your time in half next time around
    Learning is infinite. Let's hope I can manage time better. Thanks Roshan!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job.
    Did you dilute the Meguiar’s Super Degreaser Concentrate?
    If so, what ratio did you use to clean the engine bay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast