autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Quick Exhaust Tip Cleanup

I got some time after washing my Mom's new pre-owned G37x yesterday and figured I would get the exhaust tips up to AG standards. When she bought this car last week and I saw it at the dealership, I knew the tips needed some attention in a bad way!

Products used were P21s Polishing Soap (Cleaning and initial polish), Menzerna Polishing Cream (Fine metal polish) and finally, I sealed in the shine with Sonus Aluminum Sealant which works on chrome and stainless steel as well as just aluminum. The Sonus Aluminum Sealant is polycharged. This was my first time using these three products.

Notes:

1. I could have probably stopped after the P21s, but felt the need to go further to amp up the shine. I feel that the P21s cleans more than it polishes although it did a nice job of both.

2. Menzerna Polishing Cream has been on AG backorder for a LONG time. I ordered it from Menzerna direct. They just changed the bottle style and now give over double the quantity in the tube. I'm not sure if the formula was changed or not though. They said they just got a ton in stock so hopefully AG will get some in again.

3. I chose Sonus Aluminum Sealant over Wolfgang Metal Sealant becasue of the price point and the fact that Sonus is Polycharged.

4. I also just got some Semichrome fine metal polish that I will be using for the first time and comparing against the Menzerna Polishing Cream on my WRX or RX-7 in the near future.

Before:

After:

Overall I was very impressed with all three products!

Thanks for looking,

Drew
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Exhaust Tip Cleanup

I used the p21s polishing soap this weekend for my tips, I liked the polish but I felt like it actually polished more than it cleaned.. My tips get black really fast from having off road exhaust and I had to put a decent amount of muscle into the tips to get them shiny again.

Post Thanks / Like

One can never have enough polishing creams or 'nubas.

Those came out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post
    One can never have enough polishing creams or 'nubas.

Those came out great.

Post Thanks / Like

NICE! Those tips look factory-new...kudos! I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the sealant. On a couple of occasions I've used Poorboys Wheel Sealant on tips, but I've not tried a dedicated metal sealant. On tips like these, where there's some insulation from the direct exhaust heat, I'm guessing you'll be really pleased.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

#0000 steel wool and the Sonus Aluminum Sealant...Works great for me.

But you did achieve a nice finish!!!
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW....be very careful with steel wool, especially on plated finishes. I've been asked to correct a few sets of tips where steel wool left behind a gazillion fine scratches. I'm not saying it isn't a great tool for the purpose, but definitely test in an area that's out of the line of sight. For edges with carbon build-up, or on surfaces that see a lot of road grime (i.e. tips on pickup truck) I'd start with one of the wadded-cotton polishes for the hard labor.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    FWIW....be very careful with steel wool, especially on plated finishes. I've been asked to correct a few sets of tips where steel wool left behind a gazillion fine scratches. I'm not saying it isn't a great tool for the purpose, but definitely test in an area that's out of the line of sight. For edges with carbon build-up, or on surfaces that see a lot of road grime (i.e. tips on pickup truck) I'd start with one of the wadded-cotton polishes for the hard labor.
    perhaps they used the wrong abrasive level ??? Never seen any harm with quad zero and some even suggest they use it on glass.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    NICE! Those tips look factory-new...kudos! I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the sealant. On a couple of occasions I've used Poorboys Wheel Sealant on tips, but I've not tried a dedicated metal sealant. On tips like these, where there's some insulation from the direct exhaust heat, I'm guessing you'll be really pleased.
    Good point about heat! I never really thought about how exhaust heat would affect the Sonus Aluminum Sealant. These exhaust tips are somewhat insulated as you mentioned, but some of the other cars I work on do not have such insulation.

Your comment prompted me to email Premium Finish Care (The makers of Sonus, Ultima etc.) and I got the reply that the Sonus Aluminum Sealant as well as UTTG+ (I asked about as well) were both: "made to withstand the higher temperatures of wheels and exhausts."

I guess I will have to see how it holds up.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast