autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro Dlux OVER Opti-Guard

Doubt the OC is still there. I have nothing to back this up but here are my thoughts. If OC were able to stick to oily vinyl trim, petroleum bi-product, then there would be no reason for all the precautions taken for removing polishing oils prior to applying OC to paint. Even with cleaning it first your only hitting the surface and the oils will eventually come to the surface again. So its a matter of time before the OC is sitting on oil and simply washes off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Doubt the OC is still there. I have nothing to back this up but here are my thoughts. If OC were able to stick to oily vinyl trim, petroleum bi-product, then there would be no reason for all the precautions taken for removing polishing oils prior to applying OC to paint. Even with cleaning it first your only hitting the surface and the oils will eventually come to the surface again. So its a matter of time before the OC is sitting on oil and simply washes off.
    I agree. I've OptiCoated plastic trim before and it never seemed to stick for very long. I have nothing to back it up either, other than my own experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt the OC is still there.

Not saying you are wrong...But:
    Like I mentioned before...Where, then, did the OC go?

If Opti-Coatings will not allow anything short of the chemicals found in paint-removers
    to remove them from the: 'top-side in'...
    How then can the oils in plastic trim penetrate Opti-Coatings from the: 'under-side out'?!?!

Are the "chemicals" in the oils found in this type of plastic trim,
    more potent than paint-removers' chemicals?

I have nothing to back this up but here are my thoughts. If OC were able to stick to oily vinyl trim, petroleum bi-product,
    then there would be no reason for all the precautions taken for removing polishing oils prior to applying OC to paint.
    Even with cleaning it first your only hitting the surface and the oils will eventually come to the surface again.
    So its a matter of time before the OC is sitting on oil and simply washes off.
    However...If the above postulations of yours are indeed correct...Then:

It would seem to me that the list of 'materials' that Opti-Coatings are touted to bond with
    and form a permanent barrier---not a sacrificial barrier as waxes/sealants are known for...
    really needs to be modified somewhat.

Thanks for your insight rzatch!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Rzatch are you saying oils on/contained in the trim/diffuser are from previous applications of petrol based trim dressings or is the oil you speak of from the trim itself (Part of the original manufacture process).

I only ask because I bought this car in November and I highly doubt the previous owner had ever applied any type of trim dressings to the vehicle. Also, when I got it to the time it was Opti-Guarded I never applied any trim dressings either. Now it is possible that the dealer I bought it from applied some type of dressing but the trim did not appear that way.

Also, it was only a few months from the time Opti-Guard was applied to the time I applied the Cquartz so even if the oils will eventually destroy the coating, I doubt it happened that fast.

Drew
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

I must say my first thought was to question the bonding of the Optimum product to the trim. Has anyone got an MSDS for it - I could more accurately comment with that in hand?

Generally, the most advanced coatings out there are very surface specific. In order to form covalent or iono-covalent bonds, one needs the correct coupling agents. Look at the various surfaces one might encounter - glass (inorganic - silicates), metals, trims (misc plastics), clearcoat (organics such as urethanes, hybrid organic/inorganic, etc, etc). The chances are that if a product adheres to all of them that it may well compromise the ultimate strength of said bond. More than that, if a product is optimised to bond to any one (inorganics for instance), it will often not be optimal on others. Consider, for instance, paints (general). Many paints are great until you would try to apply to glass or bare metals. They will cover but they will not last.

We really need Optimum to comment on this and maybe tell us what tests they have done which lead them to believe there is bonding to plastics and how they have measured that it remains 'stuck' with time.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe one coating (Dlux) was able to actually bond with the other (Opti-Guard) even though it is said nothing will stick (bond) with Opti-Guard.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Bob and Drew going on my assumption.

Like I mentioned before...Where, then, did the OC go?

Simply washed off over time just like any other trim dressing.

If Opti-Coatings will not allow anything short of the chemicals found in paint-removers
    to remove them from the: 'top-side in'...
    How then can the oils in plastic trim penetrate Opti-Coatings from the: 'under-side out'?!?!

They don't. That is in this case OC's downfall. The OC forms a hard protective barrier which in turn also traps the oils from the trim off gassing which in turn then become a release agent if you will and the OC cant stick to it and washes off.

Are the "chemicals" in the oils found in this type of plastic trim,
    more potent than paint-removers' chemicals?

Has nothing to do with them being potent they aren't stripping anything as they aren't penetrating the OC. To simplify it. Think of your defrosters melting a coating of ice on your windshield. It melts the underside and the ice slides off.

Quoted from Dr. G himself concerning OC and Vinyl in review Corey did.

Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be used on leather, vinyl, and interior plastics?

Absolutely not. Opti-Coat 2.0 is designed for use on exterior automotive surfaces only. It cross-links and forms a hard clear film therefore it should not be applied to flexible substrates including leather, vinyl, soft tops, tire, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    Previously:

The CQ (Dlux) I know is still there because the trim is still jet black.
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    Now:

I honestly believe one coating (Dlux) was able to actually bond with the other (Opti-Guard) even though it is said nothing will stick (bond) with Opti-Guard.
    Once again this makes me ponder:

-Did the CQ DLux bond with OC...(If there was any remaining, that is)?

-If the OC was/is intact:
    Then OC must be permeable/porous...at least to some extent.

-Can a pre-polymer resin, SiC-'Coating'...be dyed/tinted?

Mysteries may abound...
    But I am still having FUN!!

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The CQ (Dlux) I know is still there because the trim is still jet black.

contradicts

If this were true, then it wouldn't change the color of the trim as it never touched the trim it is on top of the OC...

-Did the CQ DLux bond with OC...(If there was any remaining, that is)?

Bob you know my answer to this..

Post Thanks / Like

Quoted from Dr. G himself concerning OC and Vinyl in review Corey did.

Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be used on leather, vinyl, and interior plastics?

Absolutely not. Opti-Coat 2.0 is designed for use on exterior automotive surfaces only.
    It cross-links and forms a hard clear film therefore
    it should not be applied to flexible substrates including leather, vinyl, soft tops, tire, etc.
    IMHO...
    Not a very good example...Even from Dr. G.
    Not as being: Disingenuous...Just: Contradictory...at best.

As such:

-Are not CC-paints "flexible substrates"?

-Doesn't CC-paint expand/contract with the prevailing temperature swings it encounters?

-Are, then, OC-Coatings never to be used on painted-bumpers that have "flex-agents" incorporated therein?

If this were true, then it wouldn't change the color of the trim as it never touched the trim it is on top of the OC...

^^^Commingling, anyone?^^^

It is FUN to speculate/theorize...Is it not?

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 03-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast