autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally done, black 2011 BMW 335i

I finally got my wife's car done this weekend. It took 10 hrs from start to finish, but was well worth it. I will try to post comments with the right photo. Sorry, the photos aren't the best. The lighting made it hard on the iPhone.

Everything lined up and ready to go.
    Products used:
    Mother's Showtime clay bar
    1000/1500/and 2000 grit sand paper
    Meguire's M105
    Pinnacle ASR and AFR
    WGDGPS 3.0
    Pinnacle Liquid Souveran wax

The car was washed with Dawn to strip everything off. The Daytona wheel cleaning brush from AG work GREAT on the inside of the wheels.

Water spots on the hood (was washed hot and a friend stopped by...I know better)

The flat surfaces all had minor scratches and halos, and a couple bird poo spots

I had a few touch up paint spots that were raised and needed to be wet sanded. On the bigger spots, I started with 1000, then 1500, and finished with 2000. The smaller ones and a few water spots got 1500 and/or 2000 only. In the end, I could barely find these spots at all, and I knew where they were. I was very happy the way they came out. I used a wine bottle cork as a sanding block on the high spots.

After everything was sanded down, I buffed all flat surfaces with Meguire's M105 on a rotary buffer with an orange pad. This was my first time using foam pads, and I'm really impressed with them. Just be careful, they can heat up like wool pads. I was surprised not to have hardly any swirl marks after the M105. I had 205 on hand, but didn't need it.

Great shine and near perfect paint already, this is the hood

The next step was Pinnacle ASR, put on with a PC DA with an orange pad, followed up by Pinnacle AFP with a white pad. I had very fine, but noticeable swirls after the ASR, but the AFP cleared everything right up. This is the shine after this step...

The last step last night was a coat of WGDGPS 3.0 paint sealant. I put it on with the DA with a red pad. Remember, VERY thin coats here. My goal was to get this coat on so it could cure overnight. This is what I started with this morning...

This morning I finally hit the last step, a coat of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, also applied with the DA and a red pad. I also did the interior and fully detailed all of the dusts, etc from the exterior. Everything was waxed on the outside, all plastic trim, the metal trim work around the doors, right down to the wheels.

Here is the finished product....pictures don't do the shine justice.

This is the best black car detail I have ever done. I am extremely happy with the final look of the car. I wanted that deep, wet look. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts. I wish I would have tried these newer products a long time ago. I've been using Zaino for years, but will not be using it again. The CCS foam pads are well worth the investment. The pad rejuvenating powder cleans them up great as well. I'm very happy with the stuff I bought, I wouldn't change a thing. The Lightning is next.

Thanks to everyone here on the forum who answered my questions when I was preparing for this. Also a big thanks to Mike for posting all of those "how to" threads with the different products.
    2003 Ford Lightning #3836
    2011 BMW 335i coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! I recently went through a similar process with my black BMW but I did it all on a PC. I like you method of isolating the touch up spots with tape when you were sanding them. Did you have any issues with M105 leaving holograms on black with a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally done, black 2011 BMW 335i

Beautiful job, neat idea about the wine cork sander and taping the area off

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looks like it was tons of work but totally worth it.

Great job!
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

+5 I'll jump on the job well done bandwagon. I'd say you have black mastered!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Looks great! I recently went through a similar process with my black BMW but I did it all on a PC. I like you method of isolating the touch up spots with tape when you were sanding them. Did you have any issues with M105 leaving holograms on black with a rotary?
    No issues at all with the M105 with an orange pad. I was expecting some swirls, but had none.
    2003 Ford Lightning #3836
    2011 BMW 335i coupe