autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SON1C's New Shoes! Wheel Painting + Pictures + Guidelines How To - 30+ Hours

The background story... I've had these bullitts and like new tires sitting in my garage for a year or so, I took them off my last mustang before I sold it and just put a pair of used bullitts and eh tires on, I don't care for these bullitts because they're 17's and the tires are 245 45's all around.. (hopefully picking up a set of wheel spacers to solve one of the issues this causes lol) So I didn't want to sell them because i'd be wasting $ in a time I don't have much to spare.. so I thought.. How can I make these sweet.. I've always been a fan of colored lips so I saw the opportunity, some suggested powder coating? waste of money to me and whats the fun in that.. so finally .. this is how SON1C got his new shoes and yours could too

The Prep...

Most would rate these bullitts 8-9/10
    anyone who knows me being a perfectionist.. I'd say more of a 7..

However it did hurt to take sandpaper to these, and a couple times I wondered.. what did I just do! lol
    Began decontamination of the tire..

Mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner is incredible stuff, pick up a bottle and you'll be amazed at what it can pull out.. and more so disgusted lol, these have been treated before so they weren't too bad and I use quality dressing / protectant etc

Wet sanded with 320, resanded several areas to get full coverage, bit of a learning curve to these wheels and I don't do painting projects too often, I painted my mirrors cobra termi style, I could compile it into a writeup similar to this as well, they came out very well -> shoutout to froush

I'm a big believer in... get more than you need, so you definitely won't have to stop and go back to the store! lol

Unfortunately I didn't have access to a nice indoor painting space, so all the work was done outdoors, which did negatively effect the final product.

I used playing cards to protect the tire from spray, great for "ease of use, make sure they stay wrapped tight enough so the spray doesn't creep through, and unfortunately the wind did blow them off a couple times, so use with caution and or on a nice.. non windy day..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SON1C's New Shoes! Wheel Painting + Pictures + Guidelines How To - 30+ Hours

Now the fun begins.. base sandable primer followed the primer sealer

I ####### love this primer, its awesome, fills great, looks great, and sits so well, I mean you'd have to try to mess this stuff up, how awesome is that? lol if only the color paint played so nice..
    onto laying the satin black krylon! I learned the hard way, do not mix paints, it caused a weird adhering problem which I was only able to correct by spraying onto krylon extremely lightly later on..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SON1C's New Shoes! Wheel Painting + Pictures + Guidelines How To - 30+ Hours

and onto the fun taping, this took a full afternoon into evening if not more..

#### yeah...

Switched to this tape from lowes for roughly 8 bucks, and its all I'll ever use now, great product and the case is nice and will be reused for wax applicators or clay or something (detailing ftw)

One day I set everything back up only to realize it was too windy for the cards to stay, talk about wasted time..

Post Thanks / Like

Finally...

Post Thanks / Like

Post for installed pics -> Going to install after I get a day to put my springs on and hopefully spacers

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great idea to keep over spray from the tires. Too bad you were fighting the wind as you didnt have any indoor room.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I'm assuming that you get wheel rub on the inner fender wells. Reason for getting spacers. I get the same thing with stock wheels and tires.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

not sure I am a fan of the blue lips, but no one can deny your efforts and the outcome. Wow !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    That is a great idea to keep over spray from the tires. Too bad you were fighting the wind as you didnt have any indoor room.
    Yeah its such a convenience, yeah but what can you do
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    Very nice! I'm assuming that you get wheel rub on the inner fender wells. Reason for getting spacers. I get the same thing with stock wheels and tires.
    the tires sit in sometimes if the tire isn't wide enough on my year mustang, I run 275s and they barely fit the bill imo, 305-315 look sweet, but 245s sit in too much imo, so the spacers should solve, fortunately they don't rub, but I did run iirc 255s in the front on my old mustang and it would rub in the front in harder turns, gets quite annoying.. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    not sure I am a fan of the blue lips, but no one can deny your efforts and the outcome. Wow !
    oh comeon killr wheels, I'm just trying to have.. killer wheels! its directly matched to paint color, if its not then I'm not a fan of colored lips, but I love it, it was just great to put an idea / concept into reality

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, i dont love those wheels but they arent bad either. I think instead of a blue lip maybe a blue pin stripe wouldve been better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast