autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Toyota Highlander

So today was my first day trying out some OPT products, and i have to be honest, it has taken me quite a bit of time to dial them in for some reason. Anyhow, i'm only 30% done, but ill post my progress and maybe some comments can help me when i get back at it tomorrow.

My goal is as much correction as possible (on paint that isnt too bad) to Opti Coat as an LSP.

here goes. Ill list the products used with the images.

Prior to CG CWG

After CG CWG (i found it to have some good cleaning abilities, but too much gloss left behind IMO for stripping LSP which is nattys liquid blue and WGDGPS).

CG CWG didnt really touch the KAIO on the windows.

Nest was deconatmination with the Ultima Elastrofoam block..did leave some light marring, but really cleaned the paint nice.

some marring on the painted plastic bumper shroud...

So now with the polishing...i used the Optimum Polish II and i started with the Optimum MF plishing pad. i liked the pad, but i didnt seem to get the correction i was looking for for some reason...i used the PC at speed 5, and it finished nice, but still had some slight correction needed...so i swapped out the mf for a LC HT Tangerine and the Polish II, and finished with LC HT Crimson and polish II.

here is a shot of the area behind the rear window...I dont know if you will see the swirls in this (camera isnt the greatest) but the first one shows the swirls, the second shows the correction with the LC HT Tangerine and finish polish II.

Thanks for looking. if you see any glaring issues please let me know. i hope to finish the rest of the two step polish (Poliosh II with LC tangerine followed by LC Crimison)tomorrow night and ready for OC. I did get a slight bit of dusting (which i think was the pad honestly), so ill need a quick rinse down before i OC. problem is i dont have any ONR...
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 Toyota Highlander

Wow that looks like a great job! It seems to be in really good shape even before polishing. I have a 2008 Highlander in magnetic gray metallic. How would you say the hardness of the paint is, is it on the softer side?

Also, how are you liking that hood protector? Had one before but seemed to make too much wind noise that it was returned.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2009 Toyota Highlander

thanks...yeah its coming not too bad, but im surprised the MF pad didnt do what i was expecting...maybe its a technique issue. ive never used it before...plus i usually using DAT polishes...first time for SMAT in a long time...

well im not sure about the hardness either...there were some slight swirls, but the OPT polish II seemed to tackle them with a medium cut pad, so id say it wasnt too soft, but not extremely hard...

had the bug deflector since new, and havent had any issues with it...however, it doesnt stop the stone chips...i found chips on the roof!! lol
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune