autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

problem with 2007 caddy esclade headlight

done a customer headlight the other day on her escalade sanded them down from 220 to 2000 compounded it and then applied clearcoated sealer from dvelup did not get that clear shine look still loook dull what the problem is it the type of plastic and then i tryed the 50/50 on the otherside what wrong
    Reggie"S Headlight Restoration lancaster sc/ charlotte nc area

Post Thanks / Like

Re: problem with 2007 caddy esclade headlight

Sounds like you didn't polish it out enough. The headlight should be perfectly clear before you seal it.

Also before you seal it did you do an IPA / Eraser wipe down to make sure all the oils were gone? You need a perfectly clean surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a customer with an Escalade and I could tell he had some condensation inside which left a cloudy film so they did not look perfect. He was okay with it since the outside looked great. Unfortunately, you can't tell until you remove the dull layer and discover damage on the inside. Just let the customer know ahead of time of the possibility of condensation from a bad seal and that it is nothing you or the customer could have prevented.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    I did a customer with an Escalade and I could tell he had some condensation inside which left a cloudy film so they did not look perfect. He was okay with it since the outside looked great. Unfortunately, you can't tell until you remove the dull layer and discover damage on the inside. Just let the customer know ahead of time of the possibility of condensation from a bad seal and that it is nothing you or the customer could have prevented.

Being upfront (not saying you weren't at all) usually works the best. I just tell customers I can make the lights look a lot better than the look now and go with that, I am a fan of underspromising and over delivering

Post Thanks / Like

Certain vehicles tend to have this "fog" on the inside. Escalade is probably the number one most common example of this. I've seen it on others too... buick lesabre, vw bug, chevy cobalt and malibu, nissan altima, and some toyotas... rav4 and tacoma, etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fusion View Post
    Certain vehicles tend to have this "fog" on the inside. Escalade is probably the number one most common example of this. I've seen it on others too... buick lesabre, vw bug, chevy cobalt and malibu, nissan altima, and some toyotas... rav4 and tacoma, etc etc.
    Yup, fusion is absolutely right. I've had to replace my headlight casings on my malibu due to the inner condensation. It's a pain but it just happens i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Many times you can see internal damage by applying alcohol or mineral spirits to the headlight before you start. This usually allows you to see internal moisture or damage. You could then talk to the customer as to the likely result so there are no surprises.