autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Porsche 996 Swirls Owner Applied

This was an example of not listening to your friendly detailer about the importance of a correct washing method. This 2001 twin turbo only has 1,400 (yep fourteen hundred) miles and looks awful.

Washed-dried-moved in garage out of the sun and started to work. Tried XMT #2 swirl removal and it left a strange haze. I don't know if you're supposed to work #2 to powder, but I didn't.

Next, AIO, then XMT Finishing Glaze, then a final Wolfgang Sealant. I'll take some sun shine pics tomorrow as I'm babysitting the car tonight.

Before Shot:

Another Swirl-O-Matic Shot:

Swirls Gone!

Taped and Polished.

Will have some sunshine pics tomorrow.

Totoland Mach

Post Thanks / Like
    so have you tested the effects of proper aerodynamics on the car at high speeds because of the perfectly polished paint yet?

if i may ask, what did you use on the engine air inlets on the side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neothin
    so have you tested the effects of proper aerodynamics on the car at high speeds because of the perfectly polished paint yet?
    I think that is a perfectly legitimate experiment considering the work you put into it. You just gotta test it out to make sure it's aerodynamic enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll probably see if the slickness adds to the top end this weekend. He's a retired lawyer that likes to go fast...I've been in the car at 160 and it's steady as a rock.

The side intakes didn't require anything special. They are painted for approx. 5" and butt against a flat black plastic piece that carries the air to the brakes.

I've found a few hard water spots that didn't come out and might try XMT #2 on them in the morning.

Totoland Mach

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got some sunshine

Finally got a little sun on Saturday to take shots of the 996. Overall, I'm pleased, especially with the lsp using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Swirl Free Nirvana

Overall Nice Shot of a Black Porsche

Bring on 'dem Black Cars...we be ready for 'em

Totoland Mach

Post Thanks / Like
    What got rid of the haze? (Product/pad combination) I have some "suspected" haze. As compared to a pristine patch, there seems to be just a bit of haze after Meguiar's 80 with a finishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    BlackCoupe: I got the haze from not allowing the XMT #2 Swirl Remover to fully work. I switched to Klasse AIO and let it "powder" and that worked. I'm going to give the XMT another shot and let it powder up.

Totoland Mach

Post Thanks / Like
    All polishes should be worked until they flash cure and dry to a cloudly haze. You should never stop early and wipe of damp polish, because one your not allowing the polish to break down properly (which can cause some haze) and second your likely to scratch when removing via hand.

Heavy polishes and cutting pads can leave some micromarring on the finish after polishing also. Looks like really little mini scratches. These is why j eweling the finish with a lighter pad and a lighter polish is really needed. Moving onto any glaze or filler will just hide it temporaraily and then it will come back.

Nice picks on the Porsche ... and I love seeing the use of masking tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    All polishes should be worked until they flash cure and dry to a cloudly haze. You should never stop early and wipe of damp polish, because one your not allowing the polish to break down properly (which can cause some haze) and second your likely to scratch when removing via hand.

Heavy polishes and cutting pads can leave some micromarring on the finish after polishing also. Looks like really little mini scratches. These is why j eweling the finish with a lighter pad and a lighter polish is really needed. Moving onto any glaze or filler will just hide it temporaraily and then it will come back.

Nice picks on the Porsche ... and I love seeing the use of masking tape.
    Killrwheels: THANK YOU for the education. It's always a learning process in detailing and I appreciate the feedback.

I typically use masking tape on a high end car like this. It's far easier to use tape than go back and get the polish/wax off trim and rubber.

Totoland Mach