autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie-How am I doing so far?

***(this post is a work in progress. I'm saving often because my iPad tends to crash and don't want to lose post) NOT COMPLETE

Hello, first I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum, I have learned everything I now know because of you guys. I'll try not to be overly wordy and get right to it!

Because of reading here I felt confident enough to up my comfort level for what I can do. I've read and watched so many videos. Mike Phillips, you are awesome.

Anyway I just got my PC 7424XP from AG and a bunch of other goodies.

Car: 2002 Navy Blue Metallic Chevy Impala. This is my wife's car and is basically my test subject and learning curve before I touch my new 2012 Black Metallic Dodge Durango.

Condition: Tons of swirls, scratches, some body damage and RIDS. Basically it's only love has been gas station car washes and I put some Colli 845 on it a few months back. This is a complete daily driver and where she works and has to park, people are very ignorant when opening doors, squeezing between cars, etc.

Goals: just to make it look better. 80% corrected I'd be pleased with. I'm not going to worry too much about some of the RIDS. Basically this car will keep getting beat up. No need or reason to make it 100%.

Process: Started with a 2BW. Then sprayed Iron X per instructions. Due to the car color it was hard to see the purple, but it did bleed.

Then used Pinnacle Clay in the way the AG videos show. Holy cow, it works! From gritty to glass smooth.

Then time for test spot. That's all I was going to have time for. I used some CarPro Eraser to get it totally clean and see how bad it was.

I then used my PC and used Fixer on an Orange 5.5" CCS pad. I did 6 section passes and it looked much better! I then used the white pad and did another 6 section passes to help clean it up, I was pleased! Still RIDS present but not too worried about it.

Gotta do dinner with the in laws. To be continued after. Lol!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie-How am I doing so far?

Well, sounds like you're having fun, learning something, and making progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this will help you any in the scheme of things, but my learning curve was not only learning which product but how to use said product. Some products were easy to use, some had to breakdown to work right, etc. Practice (and reading these forums like a novel) was the only way I got any results. On a side note, products for the wife's car aren't necessarily going to be what you need on the new Dodge. I learned that from products I used on the wife's 2004 black Murano going to my 2010 black F150. Just a side note. Keep it up, it's great therapy!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie-How am I doing so far? Go down for updates.

For some reason I wasn't able to edit my first post, so here it is continued:

Still RIDS present but not too worried about it. I'd rather not push the issue and do any damage to the clear coat.

The plan is once everything is polished out I'm going to take care of the paint chips with Dr. Colorchip. Then about a week later I'll do one coat of Poorboy's Blackhole to help mask and lessen any other defects I couldn't get out. Then seal with Blackfire Paint Protectant. For trim and tires I'm going to use PERL.

So please if there's any suggestions or things I did wrong let me know.

So here's the pictures. Taken on an iPhone so the quality isn't that great, actually looks better in person.

Profile shot before being washed.

Scratches like this on whole car

Iron X working

Hood that'll be my test spot area.

Scratches in test spot.

After! Looks way better in person. Picture is just grainy.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 08-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have the process down. Just keep doing what you are doing. Hope dinner with in laws went well