autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing setup - pickup truck - the Mr. Sparkle Wagon 2.0

I'm putting this up for anyone researching info on putting water in their truck. I researched old threads to get ideas on what I wanted to do and went from there. So hopefully someone else will take from this and make it their own.

My detailing business started in an integra hatchback. Eventually things grew, and I moved onto a 2009 Toyota Tacoma pickup. Extended cab (not quad cab), leer cap, manual tranny, 4wd, TRD sport package, hood scoop. Pretty badass to start with in my opinion. But from the time I purchased almost a year ago I had intentions of putting in water & power to make myself able to detail completely off the grid when necessary.

Fast forward to this year and after much planning, spending, fabrication, and troubleshooting, I've got water in my truck (power was easy after I decided not to do an inverter - honda 2000w generator)

Here is the list of stuff with description and pics to follow:

Plastic mart custom built 45 gal tank with two 3/4inch fittings
    Flojet 4.9gpm on demand pump
    Optima bluetop D31M
    Rapid Reel mounted on two 2x4s
    75ft craftsman hose
    custom built subfloor (plywood, steel bar)
    ratchet straps
    misc plumbing supplies
    misc electrical

I couldn't possibly handle such a project on my own. Friend of mine at the day job builds custom motorcycles in his 1 car garage. He weighs 250, shaved head, covered in tattoos, former competitive bodybuilder, with a soft spot for Mr. Sparkle. I brought him my childish drawing of what I had planned and he said it would be no problem.

First we had to mount the tank (which was chosen for purchase after taking a bunch of measurements to ensure it wouldn't block my view out the rear). Built a subfloor out of plywood and steel bar. The steel bar rests in the tracks of the truck bed. Once everything was cut to shape and reinforced we installed 2 eye rings and strapped the tank down. Tank below all by itself.

In this photo you can also see the tank outlet (pass side) with shut off valve along with a fitting up top on drivers side (will explain that in a minute)

Originally I wanted the pump on pass side, but later decided it was best on drivers side. So tank was pulled about a week later and the pump was mounted. here is a better look at the subfloor in my apartment along with pump mounted.

next was the battery, which weighs 60lbs FYI. After much debate I opted to mount it in front of the tank on a battery tray. Tank below with the battery mounted.

I should mention now that the battery is not wired to the truck in any way. It is independent and used only for the water pump. Occasionally I pull the battery, or run a charger to it for a little while. No idea how long it could last without a charge as I stay on top of keeping it juiced up.

Next was plumbing. Water exits the tank on pass side and through a shut off valve and 90 degree fitting, runs behind the tank to the pump on drivers side. The pump is flush against the wall of the truck. So holes were drilled in the bed of the truck and hose was run through the empty space in there (between the plastic bed and sheet metal fender). closer look at the plumbing into the truck bed

the feed from the pump goes into the truck wall, and eventually connects to a 2 way garden hose switch, which is connected to my rapid reel and 75ft hose.

the hose swelled like a sausage is from the pump. its under constant pressure. once there is a leak in the system (like when you turn the hose on) the pump turns itself on and water flows. I've recently switched the lines so the pressure is now on the inside line, and less vulnerable to puncture.

Here is a photo of the 'magic' happening

the 2 way garden switch, along with that second fitting on the roof of the tank allow for easy fillup. When its time to fillup I switch the garden hose fittings to close the line from the pump, and open the line to the top of the tank. I run my hose from the truck to the water supply, and connect with a female to female adapter. Then water flows in reverse and fills my tank.
    Last edited by Gurge; 07-20-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing setup - pickup truck - the Mr. Sparkle Wagon 2.0

Hope this makes sense and I hope this helps someone else put together their rig

Obviously a trailer or van is an easier thing to pull off. but in my case, a trailer prevents you from travelling on a number of major roadways on long island. Also, this is my daily driver, and didn't want to drive a van all the time. So this is how it worked out

Post Thanks / Like

Super cool. How many vehicles can you detail with the 45 gallon tank?
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lokerola View Post
    Super cool. How many vehicles can you detail with the 45 gallon tank?
    thanks

that really depends. we talking full details & decon? conventional wash? rinseless washes? pressure washer? lot of variables.

For now my business is primarily one or two vehicles a day. so this is fine. any larger and i'd be taking up a lot of room in the bed or blocking my view out the rear

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

nice, im looking at a chevy van to go with my corvette and chevy cruze RS but only because i plan on hauling a small bike inside and my vette on a trailer... they say they can tow up to 5k pounds....

i can rock a van for how cheap they are some times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice set up. I'm actually in the market for a van with hopes of having a similar set up in it. The HHR SS just isn't cutting it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing setup - pickup truck - the Mr. Sparkle Wagon 2.0-portable-detail-unit-jpg
    Was wondering how to fabricate a VERY similar setup (LIKE YOURS) on a (wood) dolly (wagon) as to where I could use a shorter pressure wash hose (spraygun 25 ft.) and move around vehicle, then at end of day take dolly wheels off and slide unit back in truck
    Last edited by 215Detailing; 02-02-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: moreinfo

Post Thanks / Like

Cool set up! How long does that battery last using on a regular basis?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Great set up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast