autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mazda Miata

Post Thanks / Like

Mazda Miata

This 2006 velocity red Mazda Miata Limited belongs to a coworker of mine. Finally got around to coating his car for him. All pictures were taken with my crappy phone with bad lighting mostly in the garage (apologies in advance)

Products used

Optimum Power Clean (straight and 3:1)
    Mineral spirits
    Iron X
    GG clay and ONR lube
    DP Waterless wash
    GG6
    Metro sidekick
    Optimum Polish II
    Optimum Compound II
    LC cp white flat pads
    LC flat black pads
    Optimum Opticoat 2.0
    Carpro suede cloth and spongeblock applicator
    Tropicare tire dressing
    Mothers Leather cleaner
    GG 3 inch red and orange pads with LC 3 inch bp for tight areas
    303 Aerospace protectant (engine dressing and interior)
    Neverdull for the exhaust tips
    Daytona wheel brush
    Various brushes

Car was taken to the touchless before it was brought over and the paint looked pretty good for a 6-year old vehicle but the trunk and under the hood was a mess. Reminded me of my other coworker's mazda here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39204-iron-x-test-pic-heavy.html

Didn't take pics of the trunk but got a couple of the hood area. Wasn't too sure about all the wires at the back of the drivers side so probably not as clean as some of the afters on here but my coworker was happy. This was only the second engine detail I've attempted so didn't want to press my luck. I don't think he expected me to do his engine either so it was a nice surprise.

The car also had tonnes of tar spots all over the lower panels. Didn't have any Trix so went after them all with mineral spirits, which worked well enough when I found the spots. However, found that I missed quite a few when I hooked up the halogens later so had to drop everything and break out the MS again. Stupid tar!

Gave the paint a wash with powerclean and car soap after wheels were done. Started around noon and since it was so hot, I did everything in the garage using my water sheeting setup so as not to get water everywhere (took the nozzle off and attached a short piece of hose - gotta love the brass shutoff and quick connect system). Dried the car, sprayed Iron X on the paint and the wheel faces, let it dwell, then on the areas where I saw significant bleeding I sprayed some waterless wash for lube, and rubbed the area lightly, letting the product dwell again until I saw no more bleeding. This is the first time I've done this and it worked pretty good. I used to use a sponge with some car soap but thought it diluted the iron x too much.

After rinsing well, I clayed the car then went inside to rest and cool down for a bit (I had played golf that morning at 6am).

Walked around the car and made note of the defects which I went after with orange/white pads and compound II, followed by red/black pads with polish II. Still some RIDS but got about 80-85% correction. Rest of the car got Polish II including the windshield, which I also coated. In all, I coated the trim, all exterior paint including jambs, the windshield, and the rims (excluding the barrels). Here are some other shots I took.

Total time on this was about 8 hours. Slept like a baby Saturday night.

The next morning, I dressed the tires, did the exhaust, and wiped down the interior. Wasn't supposed to do inside but it seemed a shame not to at least wipe it down with some cleaner and dress with 303. All I could say afterwards was wow. I'll let the 50/50 picture of my microfibre say it all...

My coworker came to pick the car up late Sunday afternoon after the big rainstorm. It still hadn’t stopped raining when we pulled it out of the garage so unfortunately, the detail lasted all of 2 minutes. Here are the final shots.

Hope you enjoyed the writeup.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mazda Miata

Looks great How long did you work on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave

8 hours Saturday, then a bit on Sunday b/c there's always something you can clean if you look hard enough...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!

VRM is a very nice color. When i had my MS6 in VRM people used to always think it was aftermarket paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Me Likey !
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Mazda Miata

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    Thanks Dave

8 hours Saturday, then a bit on Sunday b/c there's always something you can clean if you look hard enough...
    I couldn't agree more!

The Miata came out great and yes, that color looks aftermarket, my buddy back home has a 2010 MS3 in that color and my God does that color POP
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, the car looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Lean69 View Post
    Nice job!

VRM is a very nice color. When i had my MS6 in VRM people used to always think it was aftermarket paint job.
    I get that all the time as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I couldn't agree more!

The Miata came out great and yes, that color looks aftermarket, my buddy back home has a 2010 MS3 in that color and my God does that color POP
    Hey, that's me!
    2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD - Hi Chroma Red - 3.3TT
    Borla S-Type Cat-back Exhaust - ADD W1 Oil Catch Can - Tork Motorsports Intakes - BMS Pedal Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

so my buddy came over yesterday cause there were a couple high spots on the hood that you could only see outside. i was surprised at how easy it was to level with poliseal by hand even a week later... for something that is supposed to last a long time it was worrisome...
    ~Tim