autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2006 BMW 750i

Post Thanks / Like

2006 BMW 750i

I was looking forward to doing this car (it had been booked with me about a month ago) but knew it was going to be a challenge. Metallic black BMW paint...we all know how hard that is! It was booked for correction, OG and interior. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and was not able to do the interior. Maybe later.

Here is the condition when it arrived:

You can see the lights would need polishing.

The wheels, no surprise for BMW, needed a lot of attention:

Some misc scratches and chips:

Wheels/Wells/Barrels/Tires:

I knew she was serious about her wheels when she told me she cleans them with a toothbrush. I am sending her a link to wheel woolies and the mini daytona brush.

Wheel barrels were first done with Tarminator.
    The barrels and faces were then done with IX. Here it is at work:

Next the wells were done with Zep Citrus.
    The tires were cleaned with Zep Purple.

Cleaning/Decontamination:

Bug removal was next using DG Bug Remover
    The door jams were done next with Zep Citrus and medium wheel woolie.
    The car was then foamed with a strong mix of DG 901 and Dawn to remove any LSP on there. A similar soap mix followed to wash the car.

Once the soap was rinsed clean (no more beading at all) then it was moved inside for claying. I used the Elastofoam clay bar again to great results. Paint and glass were clayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2006 BMW 750i

Paint Correction:

The paint on this car was exceptionally hard. Even my TB black wool and 105 were struggling to get the scratches out. I wet sanded several deeper ones on both the deck lid and the hood in an effort to correct them fully. I got about 95% on this one. Luckily there was ample paint to work with so I had no limitations there. Power Gloss was used with wool where needed. M105 and a yellow B/S pad with my Dyna followed by M205 and a white B/S pad with M205. I did not use the paint cleaner on this one due to the size of it and the time it would have added. The finish was coming up very nice without it. The chips were filled after correction. After correction, the paint was wiped down with Eraser. The paint and all exterior glass were treated to Opti Guard.
    Here is a shot of the roof just after being polished:

Wheels/Tires:

The wheels were sealed with OG as well. The tires were sprayed with my air paint gun with DP gel which was wiped down a few minutes later.

Head & Tail Lights:

The head lights were wet sanded with 3000 grit and then compounded with wool and 105; yellow pad and 105 and then white pad and 205 and then sealed with OG. The tail lights were polished with 105 and a yellow pad followed by 205 and a white pad.

After Shots:

All in all, I was 14 hours on the exterior of this car. Comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great as usual. I corrected a 2006 750 also about 8 weeks ago and the paint was super hard. The owners young daughter washed the car with a nylon bristle brush. The paint was a mess. I was able to correct about 80% of it in the worst areas. I didn't want to risk overdoing it as the car had been corrected a few years prior.

I need to keep your methods in mind for the next time.

-Sparty

Post Thanks / Like

whew...you make me wanna go run out to the garage now and break out my Flex and scrap hood to practice. One day...one day I'll be as good as you! The car looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Richy. I am always impressed by your work and write ups!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

bmwgalore

Love the E65!

Richy, do you think Micro Fiber pads + D300 would work for the compound step?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older audi in black which is very hard to correct. I have got the swirls down, but not fully corrected. Should I bump up pressure or other variables. I am using a meguiars red microfiber and m105 with moderate pressure and speed 5
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Looks great as usual. I corrected a 2006 750 also about 8 weeks ago and the paint was super hard. The owners young daughter washed the car with a nylon bristle brush. The paint was a mess. I was able to correct about 80% of it in the worst areas. I didn't want to risk overdoing it as the car had been corrected a few years prior.

I need to keep your methods in mind for the next time.

-Sparty
    Thanks very much for the kind words! That one you did sounds awful.

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    whew...you make me wanna go run out to the garage now and break out my Flex and scrap hood to practice. One day...one day I'll be as good as you! The car looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Alex! I know I get inspired when I see good work. As the saying goes "there's only one way to get to Carnegie Hall...practice". I've had plenty of mistakes over the years. You just learn from it and go on.

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    Very nice work Richy. I am always impressed by your work and write ups!
    Thanks bud! The write ups are important to me. We're here to share and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgalore View Post
    Love the E65!

Richy, do you think Micro Fiber pads + D300 would work for the compound step?
    Thanks so much! In a word: No. I played with one a bit and it is not aggressive enough, even with 105. Check out the Harley and trailer I'll be ousting in a day or 2, I did lots of comparisons on that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I have an older audi in black which is very hard to correct. I have got the swirls down, but not fully corrected. Should I bump up pressure or other variables. I am using a meguiars red microfiber and m105 with moderate pressure and speed 5
    I would suggest a more aggressive pad. On that Harley I mentioned above, I used a black Tuf Buff wool pad with my DA and M105 to see if it would work...did it ever! PM me if you have more questions, I'll be happy to help, although I won't be on much tomorrow, I've got a Cobra coming.