autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty Kitty (And mean too!)

This car belongs to the gentleman who did the polyaspartic coating on my garage floor. All he told me was that it was a black, 2006 Jag. Imagine my joy when I got home and saw a 2006 supercharged XJR waiting for me!!!! What a gorgeous car and with a 500 HP supercharged V-8, this is one mean kitty too!
    Problem was, this kitty needed a lot of work. Lots. The hood had at least 100 small chips and every panel except for one had small scratches in them. The paint on this car was quite hard too; I went "old school" aggressive on it to get the correction I wanted. A 22 hour marathon, all told. Join me on the journey.....

As the car arrived, here were some of the many issues I was facing as far as scratches and chips. I didn't bother to photograph many of them as it would just be more pics of the same, but here's a few to give you the idea.

Hello special kitty:

The wheels looked pretty good, but they sure turned purple when I broke out the IronX later. The pipes needed a good cleaning too, but were in good shape at least.

The interior mostly was in need of a good vacuum and steam cleaning:

Wheels/Wells/Tires/Barrels:

First up was the wheels. A healthy spray of IX and agitation and then the same to the barrels with some IX gel soap to boost the strength.

The tires got cleaned with Zep Purple.
    The wells got cleaned with Zep Citrus.
    The exhaust tips got cleaned with Megs WB.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pretty Kitty (And mean too!)

Foam/Wash/Decontamination:

The car was foamed with a strong mix of DG 901 and Dawn and washed with a similar mix. There was absolutely no sheeting of water after these 2 steps!

Next came the clay. I used Riccardo yellow which was heated up in the microwave to make it more pliable. I could not believe the contamination coming off the paint surface! This is just 1/2 the roof!

There were so many chips in this car. I made the mistake of trying to fill them first not knowing how aggressive I would need to become to correct the paint. I ended up pulling the paint out of a lot of the ones that I filled. This gives a very small idea of how many chips there were:

Paint Correction/Scratch Removal/Chip filling:

To correct the paint on this car, I started off with my go-to combo of a yellow B & S pad and M105. Only on one fender was this sufficient. It did not have enough bite to correct all the marks that were all over the car. I then switched to my black Tuf Buff wool and M105. I ran this with my Dyna rotary at 1000 rom. I then found that feathering the trigger and running it even slower seemed to give better results. I was able to finish down pretty nicely with it. I tried following that up with a green B & S and M205 with the rotary but it did not finish down well under LED light scrutiny. I then switched to a white B & S with M205 with my Megs DA at 6. Ta-Da. That did it. That combo was used for most of the car. The hood was the worst and it got considerably more aggressive treatment than the rest. I saved it for last as I knew it was going to be a bugger and also to let the paint harden for as long as possible. The hood had 2 scratches that were deep enough to feel with your fingernail. I wet sanded those down. There were some other fairly deep ones as well. Thankfully, there was lots of clear to work with so no worries there. I ended up amping up to my burgandy Megs wool pad and upped the speed to about 1500-1800 rpm. Finally the marks were gone! I went over that stage with the yellow B & S pad on my DA with M105 at 6 and then followed that up with white and M205 as before. I then had to go back and carefully fill a lot of the chips again. Ugggghhhh! The chips on this thing were not going to get leveled nicely unfortunately. Even Langka was pulling it out on some other areas that I had to re-do. Here's a reflection shot of the Megs twins after being used on a door:

Interior:

Carpet Mats/Carpeting:

The mats were vacuumed with my powerful (stick the damned thing to your arm and see how hard it pulls!) PF51. That was followed up with being steamed by my GAIA steamer. The mats were then treated to 303 Fabric Guard to protect them. The carpeting was then vacuumed and steam cleaned as well.

Leather:

The leather seats were vacuumed using a horse hair attachment to get down into the crevices and then treated to UIGP which was allowed to soak in and then the excess was wiped off a few minutes later. The steering wheel leather was also treated to it.

Plastic bits & Wood:

These were treated to UIGP or PERL. The gorgeous wood trim was treated to DG Nano polish and topped with AW. Super slick, super shine.

Glass:

The glass was cleaned with Zep Glass and 2 mf's: normal and waffle weave.

Paint/Glass Protection:

Once all the correction was done, the car was cleaned with ONR. The jams were all cleaned with ONR too and then sprayed with AW. The paint and glass were then wiped clean with ERASER to ensure a suitable surface for OG. All exterior glass, head lights, tail lights, chrome (including the kitty) and of course all the paint were protected by OG using my favourite suede mf and block method.

Wheels/Tires:

The wheels were also sealed with Opti Guard and the tires were dressed with DP gel. The wells were sprayed with Crappy Tire Spray and wiped down afterward.

Trim:

The trim around the mirrors got UTTG.

Chrome Exhaust Tips:

These got 0000 steel wool and Collinite Metal wax.

FINAL PRODUCT:

Inside Shots:

Post Thanks / Like

Outside Shots:

OK, be warned, I was very proud of how this came out, so I took a lot of pics, LOL.

Thanks very much for looking. Questions/comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I found out these had 399HP from the factory, I was shocked! What does he have done to this one? Great recovery on the car that thing needed your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Boyce View Post
    I remember when I found out these had 399HP from the factory, I was shocked! What does he have done to this one? Great recovery on the car that thing needed your help!
    I don't know. He just said it had 500 HP and I took it on face value. The motor sounds intoxicating with its supercharger whine! Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful job. Great reflective photos. I hope the job he did on your garage floor shows the same pride of workmanship.

Post Thanks / Like

Only good comment I can think of would get me reported so I will just say meeeeeeeeeoowwwwwwwww

Good job!!! She looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Beautiful job. Great reflective photos. I hope the job he did on your garage floor shows the same pride of workmanship.
    Thank you very much. Yes, he does great work. Here's a thread I posted when the job was completed prior to moving stuff back in and prior to painting:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-makeover.html

And here's after painting:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-makeover.html

Post Thanks / Like

Dang man, you worked that paint LIKE A BOSS! Very nice job.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible turn around of a neglected kitty. Some clarification please for a newbie.

When talking about the chips you said something like not even the Lankgar(sp?) could pull out? What does that mean?

In order to clean the barrels must you pull the wheels?

You initially cleaned the tips with Meg's WB. Is that Wheel Bright?

What paint did you use to touch up the chips? I have some, not that many thank God, I need to fix on my 96 Cobra black when I correct it. I bought the DR Colorchip system. I was told to wait a few weeks after touch up before I do a seal & wax.

Thanks much, Spiney-Dave
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast