autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Volkswagen CC, Iron Gray Metallic

Been trying to schedule this car for months. With my busy work schedule and the client schedule of working at night and weekends it was almost impossible to set some time to do this car. The CC has never been detailed. Just your normal 50k mile car that has it's weekly wash at the drive through car wash.

Products Used:
    CG Maxi Suds II
    Megs MF wash mitt
    DI WW MF Drying Towel
    Speedy Prep Towel
    ONR detail strength for the lube
    Megs MF Cutting Pad
    Megs D300
    Megs M101 for the RIDS
    Surbuf Pad with the Megs M101
    Menzerna SF4500
    Lake City Crimson HT pad
    CarPro Eraser
    UTTG for the tires and trim
    Collinite 845

The car wasn't that dirty when I started. Just started with your normal wash to get rid of the loose dirt.

Right after the Speedy Prep Towel, ready for the compounding stage:

Finished down with D300 and the Megs MF Cutting pad. It finishes down just about LSP ready! It's almost impossible to see any difference between the D300 and SF4500 on the metallic paint. I did finish down the black painted trim pieces with the SF4500.

Sorry for the blurry pics. I forgot to set it back to auto focus.

Just about done. Was waiting for the sealant to dry on the windows.

This is the 2nd car using D300 and Megs MF pads and I must say. Meguiars has a winner on their hands. Once you get used to working it at a slower speed and slower arm movements. It works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Volkswagen CC, Iron Gray Metallic

Looks great! Did you clay though?
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

After getting the Speedy Prep Towel, I haven't broken out the clay bar. It's way faster!

Post Thanks / Like

Great detail! Im a big fan of D300 as well

Post Thanks / Like

That color looks really fantastic.

And it looks like you finished the paint down beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! These CC's have hard clear so the Surbuf was the way to go for corrections.

P.S. for the record, the color of the car is more than likely Urano Gray. My CC (check avatar) is Iron Gray.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right it was Urano Gray.

The CC's do have a very hard clear. When I was doing some test spots with the MF system the first pass came out very well. Then did a second section very fast with the MF system and it just didn't look the same. I tried another MF pad with M101 with a fast speed and it looked like nothing touched it. I can still see the swirls. Finally tried the Surbuf with M101 and it removed all the swirls, but it micromarred like crazy. That is extremely hard to see with the metallic paint, but you can tell with the haziness of the suns reflection on the paint. Finally went back to the Megs MF cutting pad with D300 and worked it in SLOWLY on speed 5 with the 7424XP! Regulated the Surbuf and M101 only for RIDS and minor scratches since the MF and D300 combo doesn't cut through the CC clear coat fast enough. But the Megs MF system right now is my preferred setup right now. I would say it's a must in anyones arsenal.

I also have Optimums MF cutting pad, but the first pad I used the edge of the pad separated within 1 panel of use and haven't tried it since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NFA View Post
    Your right it was Urano Gray.

The CC's do have a very hard clear. When I was doing some test spots with the MF system the first pass came out very well. Then did a second section very fast with the MF system and it just didn't look the same. I tried another MF pad with M101 with a fast speed and it looked like nothing touched it. I can still see the swirls. Finally tried the Surbuf with M101 and it removed all the swirls, but it micromarred like crazy. That is extremely hard to see with the metallic paint, but you can tell with the haziness of the suns reflection on the paint. Finally went back to the Megs MF cutting pad with D300 and worked it in SLOWLY on speed 5 with the 7424XP! Regulated the Surbuf and M101 only for RIDS and minor scratches since the MF and D300 combo doesn't cut through the CC clear coat fast enough. But the Megs MF system right now is my preferred setup right now. I would say it's a must in anyones arsenal.

I also have Optimums MF cutting pad, but the first pad I used the edge of the pad separated within 1 panel of use and haven't tried it since.
    I had a similar experience with an Orange Pad and both WGTSR and XMTSR1, 2 and 3. I figured I would move up to a yellow pad and since the Orange pad didn't make any progress I had it stuck in my mind that the yellow seemed to be overkill for ultrafine to fine swirls. So I am planning on moving to a MF pad system. My thought is Optimum and Menzerna but will now consider Megs MF system since FINALLY someone has more experience with the CC than me. :-)