autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hideous 9 year old wheels get first cleaning – EVER!

A good neighbor asked me to clean up his 9 year old wheels for the first time since he has owned them. This wheels where just simply hideous. Here’s what took place...

-Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner was used on all wheels, sometimes more than once. Was allowed to soak for 5-10minutes per wheel, per application and then scrubbed and rinsed.
    http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

-Meguiars Hot Rims – All Wheel & Tire Cleaner was sprayed on (left for 5minutes) and then scrubbed and after using Sonax.
    http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-wheel-tire-cleaner.html

Here is what the pre cleaned wheels looked like.
    Front wheels... Ooooh my!

Rear wheels

Sonax Full Effect cleaner is applied and soaking. The two front wheels required a second spray and soaking of Sonax before finally getting scrubbed with Meguiars Hot Rims – All Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

Here is the finally result of Sonax Full Effect and Meguiars Hot Rims against 9 year old wheels!

I will simply say that the owner was thrilled with the end result! Thanks for viewing!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hideous 9 year old wheels get first cleaning – EVER!

Nice work, but underneath that all they are still pretty bland wheels unless I'm missing something. What were they on? They look like they came of a coal truck. What does the rest of the vehicle look like?
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Man you weren't kidding, I don't think I've ever seen wheels what gross!! Looks like you've found a couple of products that can handle themselves quite well!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
    Nice work, but underneath that all they are still pretty bland wheels unless I'm missing something. What were they on? They look like they came of a coal truck. What does the rest of the vehicle look like?
    The wheels are OEM, but place on a car newer car that didn't come with them - all black with a 5 spoke and a metal rim forms around top of the wheels. The wheel wells from his understand and from what I saw where suppose to be black in color too. Most of the paint is there, but in some of the photos you can see the bare metal starting to show in the drum. This is why I guess the clean wheel looks bland.

Heres a photo I found online of what the front looks like...I didnt take a photo of the front.

The rest of the car was for sure clean - He's always cleaning it. They came of a Z24 chevy cavalier, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Man you weren't kidding, I don't think I've ever seen wheels what gross!! Looks like you've found a couple of products that can handle themselves quite well!
    Thanks Bobby. These wheels took some time to clean up, a little over 2 and a half hours. The products worked great together, but there was ALOT of elbow grease in there lol.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found it humerous that you will see people who spend money on after market wheels and let them go to crap. It doesn't make any sense to me. If your not going to keep your chrome rims shiny whats the point?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you're in IL... I cleaned wheels similar to the ones you did (well maybe not THAT hideous), but it pisses me off that you can clean all the iron brake dust and tar that built up over the years just to uncover corrosion to the clearcoat or metal finish underneath from all the Chicago road salt. Wheels + salt = nono

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    I have always found it humerous that you will see people who spend money on after market wheels and let them go to crap. It doesn't make any sense to me. If your not going to keep your chrome rims shiny whats the point?
    Exactly. I always find it just upsetting. These babies are shinning now thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    I noticed you're in IL... I cleaned wheels similar to the ones you did (well maybe not THAT hideous), but it pisses me off that you can clean all the iron brake dust and tar that built up over the years just to uncover corrosion to the clearcoat or metal finish underneath from all the Chicago road salt. Wheels + salt = nono
    Yep, I'm up in Northern Illinois - Fox Lake is the nearest big city.

With these wheels I couldnt tell if they where clearcoated or not from the factoy. The owner said he can't remember a time the wheels did have clear on them. So I wonder if these wheels came from the GM factory with no clear.

He said these came off of a Beretta GTZ, 94'. From the very few pics I could find online I think they where clearcoated from the factory, but cant really say - all online photos I've found are grainy.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

No way.... I am in Round Lake. I don't do this professionally, just on the side for friends and my family's cars... very cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    No way.... I am in Round Lake. I don't do this professionally, just on the side for friends and my family's cars... very cool.
    Thats oustanding and great to know! Means helps always around the corner if we need it. I know there some others on here that are kinda of nearby, but your are the nearest!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in grayslake! Nice job on the wheels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast