autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chevy Tahoe Full Correction - TLC Auto Detail

So I had a monster of a detail this past weekend…lol. A customer contacted me about getting some work done on his black Chevy Tahoe. He said it had never been detailed, and was taken through tunnel washes on a regular basis. So I, of course, expected the finish to be pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as it ended up being….

Upon initial inspection we agreed to a two-step correction. A one step would not have removed enough of the swirls to make it worth it, and a full correction was not worth it since this vehicle is used to tow a boat, and sometimes go off-road. I soon found out that a two-step wasn’t going to work on this vehicle. The paint wasn’t overly hard, or overly soft (didn’t mar while wiping or anything) BUT it was nearly impossible to get the paint to finish without micro-marring. I tried M205 and even the new Blackfire AIO and both left a lot of micro-marring. I finally tried Menzerna 106fa on speed 2 and it seemed to work. I guess the SMAT abrasives in the other products just weren’t fine enough to finish off well. At the same time there were some very deep rids that ultimately required wet sanding…so, some spots on the car actually got 5 steps (2 wetsanding and 3 polishing) while the rest of the vehicle got 3 polishing steps.

I want to say up front that the car was brought to me clean, so I didn’t have to do any sort of wash. I did a quick wipedown with Blackfire Waterless Wash, and then moved right onto claying with the Ultima Clay Block with Chemical Guys Luber for lube. Here is how the paint looked after being prepped for polish.

First I decided to address the sections that needed wet sanding since they would take the longest, and most likely be the messiest. The worst sections were actually both rear quarter panels. Not 100% sure why, but they were both riddled with RIDS. I started wetsanding with 1500grit on my PC and finished up with 2500 grit on the PC. I then compounded the wetsanding marks out with M105 on the Meguiars Mf cutting pad with the PCXP, followed by Menzerna SIP on a Tangerine pad with the PCXP and finally finished with Menzerna 106fa on a black LC pad with the PCXP.

Here are a few 50/50 pics of the wetsanding.

Next up I tackled the rest of the vehicle. For compounding I used Menzerna’s newest product FG500 on a Cyan pad on my Dewalt rotary, followed by the SIP on a tangerine pad with the PCXP, and again finished with 106fa on a black LC pad with the PCXP.
    Here are some 50/50’s of the polishing. Most of them are just after compounding, so there is some haze in some of the pics.

Next are just some random reflection pictures I took through the course of the detail. These are all during the detail, so excuse any dust or smudges; they were all cleaned up before returning to the customer.

Here are some random sun pictures. Most of these were also taking during the detail, so there may be some dust present from all the compounding and polishing.

After all the correction was done there was a good bit of dust on the vehicle so I did a quick wash with XMT soap, then blew the vehicle dry. I then did a quick wipe down with Eraser to make sure nothing would affect the bonding of my LSP. The LSP that I chose was the new Crystal Seal from Blackfire. This product is a WOWA LSP that applies just like UPGP and Opti Seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chevy Tahoe Full Correction - TLC Auto Detail

Here are some final pictures. First is the wheels and tires. They were just wiped down with BF WW sealed with the Crystal Seal, and the tires were dressed with the new Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel

That’s about it I think. I look forward to any questions or comments you may have! Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

wow nice save, that came out great!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome!
    5starmotoring88@gmail.com
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic save, congrats!
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

You did a FANTASTIC job on that mess. I need to come over and watch you work man...I can learn alot from you. You used alot of products with this one and I'm sitting here asking myself...what would I use to correct that with what I already have?!

I gotta get up with you on one of the big jobs if you don't mind.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet work! That thing was a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Simply amazing. It amazes me how frequently I see black cars that look as bad as this one. Almost everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

That's absolutely astonishing....did you end up charging them for a full correction, or did they pay for a "2 step" as originally discussed.
    2011 Ford Edge Limited - White Platinum Metallic
    2012 Ford F150 FX4 Lux - Sterling Gray Metallic

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast