autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1st time polishing - VW Gol (Meg's UP 1 step)

Well, this was my first incursion into polishing...
    The car was already pretty good... I take good care of it... this is why the clay came clean before polishing..
    My option was a 1 step polishing, just to get rid of light wash swirls...

Steps:
    Towels: Meg's Supreme Shine / Peak PKC0FM Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel
    Wash: 3M Car Wash Shampoo
    Clay: 3M Perfect-it Claybar
    Polishing:
    - Polish: Meg's Ultimate Polish
    - Pads: LC Kompressor HT 6" / LC HT 4"
    - Backing Plate: LC
    Polisher: GG 6" ROP
    LSP: Collinite #885
    Final inspection with Meg's UQD

Before Shots

After Shots

Final Thoughts...

Well, the car was already above average but taking this 1-step polishing really put it's shine to another level... all my friends were impressed, even though they knew how my car already looked before...
    The idea wasn't to get to a show car look, it isn't 100% perfect, but it's very well enough for a daily driver in my oppinion....

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice results. How do you like the 3M clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st time polishing - VW Gol (Meg's UP 1 step)

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    Very nice results. How do you like the 3M clay?
    Well I must say I like it although it's kind abrasive.... but I'm really not biased to state if it's good or not relative to others because it's the only one I ever used.... it's also important to stress that the one I use is made in Brazil, so it isn't the type up on sale in autogeek.

opie_7afe

looks good! just a word of advice, UQD contains a little bit of "wax" and gloss enhancers along with other stuff so its not the best for a final inspection, as with a final inspection your trying to remove all the polishing oils and fillers leaving a nice clean surface to examine the efforts of your polishing, a better option is carpro eraser,griots paint prep,or mirror glaze #34 final inspection, or an IPA wipedown. however, uqd is a good product to use for a quick wipe down of day to day dust and finger prints while "refreshing" your protection.however if the polish dont state to have a surgically clean surface before you apply the wax that the brand of polish is from then you don't need to do it. the inspection wipe is to check your polishing efforts to see if you got true correction of the issues or not. however if i was to use another brand of product from the brand i used for polish i would remove the polishing oils from surface with a ipa/eraser wipe down before applying the protection of choice. other then that the car looks great, nice and bright red. keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely right opie, however, I believe he used UQD AFTER he removed the LSP, and not before applying the LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all! What did you end up using for clay lube? I know you had tried dishsoap before.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, hope you had fun while doing it!

opie_7afe

Quote Originally Posted by J504 View Post
    You are absolutely right opie, however, I believe he used UQD AFTER he removed the LSP, and not before applying the LSP.
    did he? maybe i misinterpreted what he meant by final inspection! no biggie though I'm just used to the step before you apply lsp being the final inspection(in my terms anyway) for me the last step is a final wipe using no kind of spray for 12-24 hours to let the sealant/wax cure especially ones with polymers in them, as the polymers need to crosslink and not to be disturbed. The final wipe can disturb them also if your using a lot of pressure. I just let the towel "float" on the surface of the paint with very very little pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J504 View Post
    Yes, that's right... I used it after wax to get rid of some missed spots when taking it off...

Quote Originally Posted by onlycodered View Post
    Not bad at all! What did you end up using for clay lube? I know you had tried dishsoap before.
    Actually I didn't clayed it again, as I had clayed it only 2 weeks before...
    But next time I'll probably use ONR or the 3M shampoo (in case I still don't have the ONR before doing my next car which will probably be in 2 weeks from now).
    I live in Brazil, and it's pretty expensive to send this stuff from the US to here.... and even more because import tax is 60% over products costs + shipping cost here...
    To give you an idea I have this stuff sitting in a friend's house in the US.
    - ONR 33oz
    - Klasse sealant 33oz
    - m105 / m205 / m86 33 oz
    - Meg's 6" MF kit
    - Meg' Ultimate protectant / Endurance tire dressing
    well... just to name a few.... there's much more around there... I need to make some $$$ so I can ship it to Brazil....
    I still need to add some Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus and PS21 paint cleaner.... also some 6" LC HT pads....
    oh... some much stuff... autogeek got me broke in the first sight.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMethod View Post
    Looks good, hope you had fun while doing it!
    Sure did man! But I just need a better place to do it, because where I did was open and kind of dirty ground.... at least there was shade =(

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    did he? maybe i misinterpreted what he meant by final inspection! no biggie though I'm just used to the step before you apply lsp being the final inspection(in my terms anyway) for me the last step is a final wipe using no kind of spray for 12-24 hours to let the sealant/wax cure especially ones with polymers in them, as the polymers need to crosslink and not to be disturbed. The final wipe can disturb them also if your using a lot of pressure. I just let the towel "float" on the surface of the paint with very very little pressure.
    I must agree with you, that's why I only used UQD where I missed taking wax off (waxing at night), when I saw it in the next morning... and I also didn't used it in the entire car.

GUYS

I don't know, but I think the kompressor pad did hold too much product in it's center and I ended up using 4 oz of UP to do a single car...... but maybe that's only my lack of experience... what do you guys think about it ???