autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing in the heat

I don't know how everyone does it but after spending about six hours detailing the Buick Enclave, I have a new found respect for people that work outdoors all year.

It was 90 today in Northern NJ and I must have lost about 10 pounds of water. I drank approximately 2 1/2 gallons of water and used about 5 terry cloth rags wiping the sweat off of my forehead.

Anyway, this guys tires were really dirty even after I cleaned them using my normal product which worked for me; my cars are always clean so I know that I need some industrial-strength tire cleaner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot believe how people let their vehicles get so neglected. I can only imagine what their homes must look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing in the heat

I try to avoid detailing in the heat. If a customer can drop their car off early in the morning while it is cooler out or later in the evening when the sun goes down.

But sometimes you can't set things up like that and have to deal with the heat during the day.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I did a car today. It was friggin hot as hell. Kept sweating all over the car. I must have done 10 "final wipes".

Post Thanks / Like

I detail in the heat, it's not fun but I can do it without complaining. My real job is delivering the mail and I have been doing that for over 14yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

I tired the Poorboys wash and wax. I was a bit suprised that there were very little suds. By design or something I did wrong? I followed the directions to the T.

Post Thanks / Like

Living in Texas and being from the north it is brutal down here. What is amazing is the people who are from down here can take the heat and it really doesn't bother them. Now let it get below 65 degrees where I love it they will not come outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...uctId=12842599

Detailing in the heat is tough, I use one of these cooling towels while I'm washing and deconing a vehicle outside when it's hot. It helps some.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just for safety measures i feel i need to give some information. Im not going to go into the symptoms of heat stroke or heat exaustion. I do have some strange but true facts about hydration.

When working in extreme heat, 90+ with high humidity, take a small break every 20 minutes, and have a drink(whole bottle). Dont only drink water, you can actually damage your body by only replenishing the water you lose, and none of the nutrients, and can actually get heat stroke or exaustion faster. Instead, every 3rd drink have a gatorade or something similar, this will allow your body to replenish some of the sodium and other nutrients it is losing thru sweat.

There are far too many deaths and injuries caused by the heat, especially when all it takes is a bit of knowledge.. Considering the fact that all someone has to do is replenish fluids and cool off every once in a while, its sad and sickening how often people push past their bodies limits just for a few extra bucks, or to try to finish something a little bit earlier.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kmsdetailing View Post
    I don't know how everyone does it but after spending about six hours detailing the Buick Enclave, I have a new found respect for people that work outdoors all year.

It was 90 today in Northern NJ and I must have lost about 10 pounds of water. I drank approximately 2 1/2 gallons of water and used about 5 terry cloth rags wiping the sweat off of my forehead.

Anyway, this guys tires were really dirty even after I cleaned them using my normal product which worked for me; my cars are always clean so I know that I need some industrial-strength tire cleaner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot believe how people let their vehicles get so neglected. I can only imagine what their homes must look like.
    Brown Royal for tires and wheels, I would love for AG to carry it. Best Ive used at any price!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

When working in extreme heat, 90+ with high humidity, take a small break every 20 minutes, and have a drink(whole bottle). Dont only drink water, you can actually damage your body by only replenishing the water you lose, and none of the nutrients, and can actually get heat stroke or exaustion faster. Instead, every 3rd drink have a gatorade or something similar, this will allow your body to replenish some of the sodium and other nutrients it is losing thru sweat.

Shawn
    I alternated between water and Carona.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast