autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Vendor Booth - prep & first show

First off, I don't know if this is the right forum to post this. If it is not, please move, and I apologize.

So, I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks. We've had dreary weather non-stop up here in Northern WI and jobs have been slow. I had a thought last year to setup vendor booths at car shows for some marketing. The first one being the Chippewa Valley VW Club show in Eau Claire, WI on June 18th. The week leading up to it, I shall refer to as my "Hell Week", and now kinda view it as the Grand Opening for Discern Auto Salon

I had flyers to make and print, 50-50 demos to get ready, get some business cards printed, figure out layout and product & tool selection I wanted to have there. It was literally down to the last hour, lots of sleepless nights, but I pulled it off and have some more knowledge so I can make adjustments for the next one.

Pictures are worth a thousand, so the 50-50s I wanted to display are as follows: black door skin, headlamp, and a leather seatback.

Befores of the scrap doorskin that I got from a buddy's body shop:

And the afters:

Now the headlamp display. This, of course, was the talk of my display w/ the VW crowd

And a seatback I secured for cheap from a salvage yard -headamp and seat were $10!

Taped off ready to start cleaning & conditioning thee left side.

Displayed at the show:

Now my booth. Unfortunately there wasn't time to make stands for all the displays, but I will take care of that before the next show as this doesn't look the most professional

The show was smaller, but I had some friends there and knew some others. And, the group extends north to my neck of the woods, so I figured it was a good one to start with. All the real local shows aren't until August - October, so kinda late in the season.

Being the first show that I've done, I took it as a learning experience and can adjust things from that before I do the next show. In that regard, the show went well. I talked to some people, got re-acquainted with some old friends, and got my name out. Repetition of having your name out there is the key to marketing.

Things to note: Have to secure things down better (table cloth flops, flyers tip over, etc.), want to do more applications of Leatherique to really restore the seat before next show (only had time for one app.), maybe a side flyer on points of headlamp restoration, make some stands for the displays.

On a side note, I'd like to point out my headlamp coating curing light. It is modified slightly by me. I found a Nikon tripod at a thrift shop for $8 and made a new shoe to screw onto the light where the handle goes -I can unscrew that and put the normal handle back on in an instant. I also put a top bail handle on to facilitate holding the light when attaching to the tripod. I then secured the ballast to one of the legs using zip-ties. Now, I don't have to hold it when using, and it is fully adjustable

As always, thanks for looking.
    Allen M. Kwiatkowski - Discern Auto Salon
    Your Automotive Appearance Concierge

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Vendor Booth - prep & first show

Great idea! Like you said, I'd work on it looking more professional
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like

Another suggestion from someone that has done a lot of different kinds of shows.

Chain or cable down those tools. They WILL be stolen. It only takes a moment when your attention is elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Another suggestion from someone that has done a lot of different kinds of shows.

Chain or cable down those tools. They WILL be stolen. It only takes a moment when your attention is elsewhere.

Note taken It is unfortunate that we have to take those kind of precautions. You'd like to think the best of people. But, it is what it is.

What have you done in the past to secure such items? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post

I was thinking the same thing
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rasch_C View Post
    What have you done in the past to secure such items? Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Leave them at home
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled holes through my tables and put eyelets in them. Then used a very thin vinyl coated cable to attach the tools, demo products, or whatever to the table. The coated cable is very supple and won't scratch whatever it's attached to.

And I have had thieves grab something at a run and almost drag off the entire table before they realize they aren't going anywhere.

Usually they just drop what they are holding and try to disappear.

Mike Phillips

I think you did a great job!

It takes a lot of work to host a booth and work a show for any niche hobby or market so congratulations for just doing it.

For shows like this I've obtained cars that were in horrific shape and taped them off down the middle of the car and then buffed out just one half of the car.

The 5 that come to mind were,

• 1991 BMW
    • 1959 Corvette - Oxidized and swirled metallic copper paint
    • 1934 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Coupe - Black paint with the worst white overspray paint I've ever seen over an entire car.
    • Black Miata - Pics on MOL somewhere
    • Red Miata - Pics on MOL somewhere

I have pictures of all three on display in my booths just not sure if I have them here in Florida or SoCal

Also buffed out a 1971 Chevy stepside shorty show truck from start to finish with a rotary for a 3 day World of Wheels show in Seattle, Washington. Lots of work and I'm not sure it was ever worth it but once you bring a spinning pad down on the paint you're kind of committed...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I think you did a great job!

It takes a lot of work to host a booth and work a show for any niche hobby or market so congratulations for just doing it.

For shows like this I've obtained cars that were in horrific shape and taped them off down the middle of the car and then buffed out just one half of the car.

The 5 that come to mind were,

• 1991 BMW
    • 1959 Corvette - Oxidized and swirled metallic copper paint
    • 1934 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Coupe - Black paint with the worst white overspray paint I've ever seen over an entire car.
    • Black Miata - Pics on MOL somewhere
    • Red Miata - Pics on MOL somewhere
    I have pictures of all three on display in my booths just not sure if I have them here in Florida or SoCal

Also buffed out a 1971 Chevy stepside shorty show truck from start to finish with a rotary for a 3 day World of Wheels show in Seattle, Washington. Lots of work and I'm not sure it was ever worth it but once you bring a spinning pad down on the paint you're kind of committed...

My buddy suggested the same thing, 50-50 of a whole car! I agree, but thought the logistical challenges would be a nightmare. I mean, I don't have a car to just leave half undone for every show.

But, your picture idea is a great one! Might have to use my red S4 as an ideal candidate for such. It's single stage red, and of course very oxidized, but should make a huge impact on difference when done. And it is getting closer and closer on my schedule to start tackiling it (our own projects always seem to be on the side burner -lol)

Thanks for the ideas, Mike!