autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving Target: 2003 Acura TL

I got the opportunity to spruce up this Acura TL today as scheduled for the owner after agreeing on the service and price. The car had been sitting outside for a few months and was looking a bit sorry for itself so the owner decided that it was time for a cleaning. The poor car was hit by a barrage of bird bombs (hence the title!) and they were well baked on but the etchings were removed in my later steps thankfully. I had discussed with the owner the services I would perform and she wanted the $130 detail with a one step AIO polish so I got to work. I cleaned the car top to bottom and performed a few extra steps complimentary such as getting rid of oxidation in the headlights and lessening some severe scratches. This took 5 hours and upon returning the car, was berated about how she did not want to pay that much and would only pay $75 for the work I completed. I was shocked at such a nasty turnaround but had no choice other than taking what she offered and left it at that.

Anyways, I feel a bit deflated but on with the detail!

Products and Process:

Exterior:
    -ONR wash
    -Clayed with Clay Magic
    -XMT 360 AIO via my PC and a grey CCS pad
    -Collinite 845 applied once
    -Duragloss Aquawax on the glass
    -Meguair's Ultimate Compound on the headlights, sealed with 845
    -Optimum Opti-bond on tires
    -CG Barebones in the wheel wells

Interior:

-Vacuumed thoroughly
    -Carpets extracted
    -Leather, rubber, and vinyl cleaned with OPC 6:1
    -Protected with 303 Aerospace
    -Autoglym Fast Glass on windows

The Befores: the car was much dirtier than the photos lead on with baked on bird droppings and a thick layer of dust and salt spray. One big help for the bird presents: I sprayed them liberally with some ONR at QD dilution which allowed them all to be wiped clean off the paint before the wash stage began.

Headlight before:

Headlight after:

Headlight before:

Headlight after:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving Target: 2003 Acura TL

Onto the final afters: I was really happy with the way the paint came back from just a simple one step AIO session. The only problem I had was with dressing the tires: for some reason, they would go splotchy no matter how many times I reapplied dressing but eventually I just buffed the tires down to a matte finish and they looked even again.

I was very happy with the way the car turned out but am a bit upset about being hosed on my time and hard work and even going the extra mile on a couple areas. All in all, it was a learning experience for sure!

Thanks for reading as always, hope it was enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that blows. Too bad she had to be a cheapskate about it and make you take a hit. Goes to show what kind of character she has. Oh well, next time you can just politely turn her down flat!

Oh yes, great job on the Acura! Much better!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Nice turn around. That sucks I would of kept the car till she gave you the $130 plus you did extra work just to make the car look better.

Today I was contacted by one of my clients fathers, he wanted a wash and wax. Being it summer here I upgraded to sealant for no extra charge, applied 3 coats of Poorboy's trim restore to all rubber moldings around the windows. Before starting foamed the car twice with APC/ car wash soap mix then washed with 2 bucket method. I did all this not expecting to get more then what I charge for the wash and wax. He was kind enough to give me a little extra. We do the extra things to make the final product look it best for what we were asked to do. Now, not giving you the correct amount of money is just wrong
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Man, that blows. Too bad she had to be a cheapskate about it and make you take a hit. Goes to show what kind of character she has. Oh well, next time you can just politely turn her down flat!

Oh yes, great job on the Acura! Much better!
    It was a bit surprising to say the least as she was very nice up until then, but everyone wants something for nothing which is fine except I already undercut all the boutique detailing businesses in my direct vicinity by a 15% margin while spending more time on the car in the process. You are right on the money though, I don't think there will be a next time!

Thanks for the very nice comment btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    Nice turn around. That sucks I would of kept the car till she gave you the $130 plus you did extra work just to make the car look better.

Today I was contacted by one of my clients fathers, he wanted a wash and wax. Being it summer here I upgraded to sealant for no extra charge, applied 3 coats of Poorboy's trim restore to all rubber moldings around the windows. Before starting foamed the car twice with APC/ car wash soap mix then washed with 2 bucket method. I did all this not expecting to get more then what I charge for the wash and wax. He was kind enough to give me a little extra. We do the extra things to make the final product look it best for what we were asked to do. Now, not giving you the correct amount of money is just wrong
    To be honest, I didn't even have time to process the turn of events and think of those solutions until after the fact. I whole heartedly agree with you; doing a better job at a better price always nets a happier customer in the long run which in turn leads to word of mouth spreading.

I also do something special to every car I work on that goes above and beyond the care I already offer in that service, like the scratches and hazy headlights in this case. If I work on a smaller car, the extra time I save goes into doing something like a second layer of wax, wheel sealant, or polishing. It makes you feel that little bit more passionate about each car you work on and breaks up some of the monotony because passion always creates the best work!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on the Acura. Did any of those bird bombs etch the clear coat? It is unfortunate you did not get paid the full amount. You should consider having your customers sign a service contract before you perform any work on their vehicle.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable the nerve some people have. In my opinion you undercharged her for the work you performed and then you get stiffed? It's understood that many less established detailers are reluctant to hand a prospective client a contract to sign feeling that might scare some people away, but the customer must understand that the prices are not negotiable. Even though you enjoy doing your job, this is work you do to help pay your bills. I wonder if the Acura owners employer pays her weekly wage based on his interpretation of the quality of her work?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it really wouldn't be a bad idea having the customer sign a service contract before you do any work. If they refuse to pay part or all of the bill, put a steering wheel lock on their car and refuse to turn it over to them until they pay up.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

that is the nature of human beings a sense of entitlement, what a witch sorry your hard work didnt pay off with a little extra cash but it may pay off when she tells her friends who did it. great job btw, one of my fav cars can't believe people trash em

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you did a very good job and totally deserved what was agreed on if not more. Like others have said, I wouldn't of let her slide away so easy. I can just picture myself getting out the IPA and telling her I am at least taking my wax back then, lol.

1967 Chevelle SS
    2004 Nissan 350Z
    2003 GSXR 600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast