autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Porsche 996 Carrera 4

Here is another car I detailed, a 1999 911 (996) Carrera 4 with a 6 speed manual. I have always loved Porsches so this was a joy to work on and spurred me to do a bit extra for the owner. I figure that if I save time by having less surface area to work on, I would make up for it by spending some extra attention on the car.

It was in pretty good shape due to the fact that it lives in the garage, however the clear bra was looking a bit yellow and dull and there was some stupidly stubborn tire dressing on the front tires that took 5 hits of OPC at 3:1 to remove. Other than that, the car was washed, clayed, glazed, and waxed. I decided to spend the extra time giving the clear bra some attention; this was done by polishing it with Menzerna po87mc followed by the glaze and wax steps. It made a nice difference however there were areas where the adhesive was failing. Anyways, on to the products and pictures.

Products and Process:

-Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
    -Optimum OPC with various brushes and mitts
    -Wheels with Gold Class, OPC, and my Raceglaze XL wheel brush
    -Dried with CG Miracle Dryer
    -Clayed with Riccardo Yellow and CG Luber
    -CG EZ creme glaze via DA
    -PO87mc on a white LC pad via my PC
    -Collinite 845 on everything
    -P21s 100% as LSP since it is a German car
    -Tires dressed with Opti-bond
    -Planet Polish WS+S on the rims
    -PB's trim restorer on the cowel and trim
    -CG Barebones in the wheel wells

Interior:

-Vacuumed with the Shop Vac
    -All plastics and vinyl cleaned with OPC
    -Leather treated to Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil
    -303 Aerospace applied to all plastics and vinyl
    -DG Aquawax applied to the jambs
    -AG Fast Glass

Onto the pictures; silver is great at hiding dirt and contaminants so the befores aren't too impressive:

Here are the afters: I am very happy with the results I achieved on the silver paint

Thanks for making it to the end! Comments and criticism always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porsche 996 Carrera 4

Just to add to this; the owner is going to get the clear bra reapplied in a month, so I will be polishing and prepping the car for the new clear bra to be applied. I will now be performing a correction detail on this Porsche and the MB s500 I posted earlier which will be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a very similar Porsche last year. Same color and also with a clearbra. I got bit on that detail by leaving the key in the ignition. Not a mistake I'll be repeating!

Detailiers, if you work on a 996, do NOT leave the key in the ignition, even in the off position. It *WILL* drain the battery.

Did you work on the engine compartment? I ended up treating most of the black plastic with PBTR in there as well as the surround for the air intake, and the rubber bellows. Fun car to detail. Mine was exterior only and it needed some paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I definately make sure I do that. I have done quite a few 996s and a bunch of 997s and unless they are on battery tenders, the key sits on the dashboard until it is returned to the customer. I asked the owner if he would like the engine bay to be detailed but he declined for that round so I will try again when I correct the paint this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Porsche 996 Carrera 4

Nice work on the 996 Christian.

I have not had a chance to work on a Porsche "yet" since there is not a Porsche dealership down here in the Valley. There are two BMW's, a Mercedes (about to be a 2nd one), a Land Rover, Jaguar for high end vehicles. I would like to try to detail an engine on a Porsche down the road. I might even visit a company in San Antonio to to watch and do a Porsche engine with a steamer. I've steamed the engine on that '89 Jaguar XJS but it's front engine. Not rear engine like the Porsche.

Okay, I went way off topic. lol
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would love a top notch steamer to use as an all rounder for interior/exterior work but it is a bit above and beyond my needs at the moment. Porsche engines are easy to detail as long as you cover the intakes on 997s and use a gentle stream of water. Other than that, just have the brushes and cleaner and get ready for some fiddly work!

Post Thanks / Like

great job.