autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Full Write-Up 2007 C6 Corvette

Hey guys, as some of you know, I've been working on a Corvette for the last week (2007 C6 Corvette). This car was bought brand new by my Dad in 2007 and it is garage kept. About two years ago, we did a correction job using the PC and some XMT polishes (I was just starting out with detailing). Since then, it has been washed every once in a while and has picked up slight swirling and scratches. Dad has since retired and I told him that I wanted to do his car up really good. I started on Monday and finished today. All in all I have about 22 hours worth of work. I took some pictures today, but the weather was rainy so no sun shots today. I did take some yesterday though...they were just before any final polishing and LSP.

I did not take many before pictures because I wanted to get right to work. The process is as follows:

Wash:
    2BM
    Lowe's grout sponge
    Meg's Gold Class
    Dawn soap via foam gun
    PakShak WW to dry

Clay:
    Mother's Yellow clay
    ONR as lube

Wheels:
    P21s gel
    DD wheel brush
    Swissvax-like lugnut brush
    MF towels

Paint:
    Dewalt 849
    M105 and Meg's burgundy wool
    SIP and white CCS
    3M UF and blue CCS

LSPs:
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant
    Poorboy's World Natty's Blue paste
    CG Ultra-Premium MF towels

Day 1 started on Monday about 5:30pm (I work full time during the day so I could only work on this for a couple hours each day after work). This is what the car looked like:

As you can see, the car was quite dirty so I got straight to work. I started with the wheels first. I let the P21s gel dwell for a couple minutes while I scrubbed the tires and wheel wells. Using the DD wheel brush, I was able to get the barrels cleaned as well. I used the MF towels for the faces. After the wheels, I moved straight to the wash. I foamed it with Dawn to remove as many loose contaminants as possible and then went on with the 2BM and Meg's Gold Class. I rinsed and brought the car in the garage to clay. I used a blower to rinse off most of the water and then used ONR and Mother's Yellow clay. PakShak WWs were used to dry the car. That concluded day 1.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Write-Up 2007 C6 Corvette

Tuesday started with the M105 and Meg's burgundy wool pad via my rotary at 1500 rpms for the heavy compounding. I worked in small sections, hitting each section no less than twice. Some sections required 6 or 7 passes to get the results I wanted and even then some scratches remained, although much less noticeable. One because you can't use M105 in big sections and two because I wanted to make sure I had each section as close to perfect as I could get it before moving on. I did this process around the entire car. I don't have any pictures during this step, but I do have a few after. You can see how dusty the car gets:

I finished the compounding on Wednesday afternoon and moved on to polishing with SIP and a white CCS pad. I went with SIP over 205 because I haven't used it in a while and I feel like I'm able to bring out as much gloss as possible due to the longer working time. These next photos were taken during the SIP stage and after the wash. There was no finishing polishing done yet.

Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

That concludes the compounding and medium polish. Next up was to bring out as much gloss as possible. For final polishing, I went with 3Ms UF polish via a blue CCS pad on my rotary at 1500 rpms. These pictures were taken after all polishing was completed.

The headlights and taillights also got polished. I used my PC at speed 6 and 4" blue CCS pads with Menzerna 106FA to shine them up.

After all polishing was completed, I went ahead and applied a coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I let it sit on the car for probably an hour and a half because I was tending to other things like a quick vacuum and inside windows.

Post Thanks / Like

I buffed that off and called it quits for Saturday. I woke up this morning and applied Poorboy's World Natty's Blue paste wax for the cherry on top. I dressed all trim with 303 and dressed the tires with Optimum's Opti-Bond Tire Gel. The wheels also received a coat of Wolfgang's sealant. These next shots were taken after the car was complete.

I also tended to all the cracks and crevices around the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I stated before, the weather today just was not cooperating, so sorry for the lack of sun shots today.

After the rains cleared, I pulled the car out and snapped a few overall pictures and some reflection shots.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread! My dad came out and was just in awe of the outcome and was very satisfied with the results and doesn't want to get it dirty.

Overall, I would say this car is about 90-92% defect free. I could not chase out every scratch, but the ones that are left are not noticeable unless you go looking for them.

Please feel free to leave any comments, questions, or suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job!
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Great job!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

That my friend.....is a fine job on a fine car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    That my friend.....is a fine job on a fine car
    Thanks for the kind words Jenn!

Post Thanks / Like

Superb work Josh, and a great write up! I bet your dad is oh so happy with the new look to his sweet ride!! Been waiting for this write up, and you didn't disappoint, it was worth the wait.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast